elyptical vs treadmill

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Packard
VETERAN

Re: elyptical vs treadmill

Post by Packard »

wevie wrote:I don't know what your budget is but they have some nice stuff at Sears that range between $500 and $800. Of course they have more expensive stuff also.

I may start running up and down steps. I am kinda getting burned out on running on the treadmill all the time.

I also have been thinking about getting a bike.
Also check Amazon.com and the big buying clubs (BJs Club, Sam's Club, Costco, etc.)
littleshelly
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: elliptical vs treadmill

Post by littleshelly »

I like both but at home I have a treadmill. For me it is more versatile. I can do different workouts with the same machine. I know you can also do that with the elliptical but I feel I get a better workout with the treadmill.
Packard
VETERAN

Re: elliptical vs treadmill

Post by Packard »

littleshelly wrote:I like both but at home I have a treadmill. For me it is more versatile. I can do different workouts with the same machine. I know you can also do that with the elliptical but I feel I get a better workout with the treadmill.
The problem with a tread mill is that while it gives a decent workout for the reaching aspect of your stride, it does not do as well for the driving aspect. Your quads get a workout but your biceps hardly do.

The eliptical seems to work more evenly in that regard. And no impact. Another advantage.
littleshelly
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by littleshelly »

True, but I am not concerned about biceps during treadmill workout. I lift hard and heavy 3 days a week so biceps get more than enough of a workout. :wink:
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

littleshelly wrote:True, but I am not concerned about biceps during treadmill workout. I lift hard and heavy 3 days a week so biceps get more than enough of a workout. :wink:
Sorry for being ambiguous.

Your legs have quadraceps and [femoral] biceps (sometimes called "ham strings", which are part of the biceps). I was referring to your femoral biceps which it the muscle in the back of your thigh.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biceps_femoris_muscle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

True. The Semimebranosus and Semitendanosus muscles, then the Biceps Femoris, and between the Hamstrings and Quads, that cheeky little Gracillis :wink:.
littleshelly
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by littleshelly »

Packard wrote:
littleshelly wrote:True, but I am not concerned about biceps during treadmill workout. I lift hard and heavy 3 days a week so biceps get more than enough of a workout. :wink:
Sorry for being ambiguous.

Your legs have quadraceps and [femoral] biceps (sometimes called "ham strings", which are part of the biceps). I was referring to your femoral biceps which it the muscle in the back of your thigh.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biceps_femoris_muscle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok, I see. I do other types of leg workouts also. Squats, lunges, lifts and strengthening, leg press and so on. I like the Elliptical, don't get me wrong. I use it at the gym but if I had to choose one for home I choose the treadmill.