Cheat Meals

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Do you believe in cheat meals?

One day during the week?
No votes
One meal per week?
100%
One meal per day?
No votes
Never!
No votes

Total votes: 8

musculargirl
VETERAN

Cheat Meals

Post by musculargirl »

Just wondering what people's view points were on this. :)
musculargirl
VETERAN

Re: Cheat Meals

Post by musculargirl »

maybe people should rotate between one cheat meal and one cheat day? I know some weekends it's hard not to cheat if you out with family friends and than you don't feel guilty if it was a free day. but than other weekends your not doing anything so you could just have one cheat meal and be fine. I guess whatever works for the individual.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

What I have found over many years of having the "cheat day" is that it doesn't work. :roll: What usually happens is that you allow a weekend day to eat whatever you want. The bad thing about taking a whole day to indulge in the very things that got you where you are in the first place is that is usually doesn't stop with that one day....it morphs into the whole weekend and before you know it you have had 2 or 3 days of eating badly, then starts the guilt and the negative feelings about oneself and the feelings of hopelessness that have undone everything good you did. I say this, because I've lived it...over and over again. I start out with every intention of just having one day of a few treats and then it starts.
The next bad thing about cheat days is that they seldom are on an exercise day - every notice that? it is crazy to work so hard, eat so healthy, then take a day or two off of exercise and eat sugars and fats galore, and wonder why next week when you step on the scale you haven't lost any weight, or egads...gained weight.
To me the only thing that I can allow myself now is ONE cheat meal - and it has to be on an EXERCISE day. One meal where I might have butter on bread, or a slice of cake for dessert - but it stops there - it has to.
Sorry for the long post, I have just been down this road so many times, and I think alot of people deceive themselves about the whole "cheat" thing.
Eating clean as much as you can and having an occasional "off" meal is fine, as long as you are a person who is able to stop with the one meal.
just thoughts..... :D
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Good point. I do think your right a cheat meal would definitely be better or like you said an occational off meal.
Last edited by musculargirl on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Family get togethers are definitely a challenge. It is hard to plan ahead and bring your own food, not to mention a pain in the butt to be eating "healthy" when everyone else is munching on gooey pizza - but try to think of it in a more positive way, bringing you own baked sweet potato fries, or making your own healthy quesadillas or a nice tossed salad with grilled chicken, is an investment in the future YOU. :D you are not denying yourself anything or "missing out" on better tasting food, instead you are allowing your body to continue on the healthy track you've set it on...the pizza and the breads, or desserts, or fatty cheeses, or processed snacks are just another roadblock, another step back - something stopping you from losing the weight you want.
It doesn't have to be huge changes or choices, the small ones matter too! Like opting for no cheese on a grilled burger, using mustard instead of mayo, eating some fruit instead of choc. cake, or cookies or pie. It is not easy to make our minds think differently about food and how and what it does to our bodies, especially when friends, family...everyone around us is eating all of the things we used to eat, and joking us for trying to stay away from it. Be strong!!
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

fitoverforty wrote:Be strong!!
It's either be strong or i may avoid people for a while since i have very low willpower! :wink:
Last edited by musculargirl on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Exactly, regarding cheat days. Cheat days can lead to several days of self indulgent eating, which is not a friend of weight loss.

One self indulgent meal a week, still means you have one day of fairly disciplined eating, so the mindest on such eating habits is not corrupted or switched off, thereby potentially preventing a more prolonged situation than was intended.
Jentry07
STARTING OUT

Post by Jentry07 »

I believe whole days of cheat can lead to too many calories, some can even derail all their hard work for the week in that single day. That is hard to do with one meal, but you need to allow yourself a cheat. If you go cold turkey and deprive yourself you will give in sooner and later, most likely to binge. I think allowing yourself one cheat meal a week is plenty to get those cravings in, without over doing it.
jared767
STARTING OUT

Post by jared767 »

Jentry07 wrote:I believe whole days of cheat can lead to too many calories, some can even derail all their hard work for the week in that single day. That is hard to do with one meal, but you need to allow yourself a cheat. If you go cold turkey and deprive yourself you will give in sooner and later, most likely to binge. I think allowing yourself one cheat meal a week is plenty to get those cravings in, without over doing it.
Right! Let's take it easy...
Mabel
STARTING OUT

Post by Mabel »

Almost all the people in the world will cheat their meals because eating the same will get bored. And cheating the meals is not that bad one as it gives some kind of pleasure for you tongue and for your taste buds.