Pre-workout supplement or drink

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

pcrowell
STARTING OUT

Pre-workout supplement or drink

Post by pcrowell »

Does Anyone have any recommendations for a pre-workout drink before a weight lifting session or a run?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Pre-workout supplement or drink

Post by Boss Man »

Hi pcrowell, good to talk to you.

All you need is something like gatorade or powerade type dextrose drinks. Many energy drinks are fancy rubbish that you simply don't need. After all how many lifters in the 70's or even earlier, had access to fancy drinks like Monster Energy or EAS Catapult. None and they still got big.

You could even manage perfectly well with tap or bottled water to be perfectly honest.
AleXander1016
STARTING OUT

Post by AleXander1016 »

Hey man don't do it. I agree with what some of the other people on here posted. I used to use pre-workout and different energy drinks. I ended up having horrible gallbladder problems and almost had it removed just for that it is not worth it. I tried using this healthy vitamin supplement that really helped. 1. it gave body the nutrition it needs and 2. i had consistent energy and focus throughout the day. I tell everyone about it because it works. I would look for something like that. Heck if you need me to i can show what i use to just try it out.
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

Coffee! Would not recommend pre-workout powders or energy drinks as these have many other ingredients in them. Another option is a good nights sleep and sufficient carb intake :)
ChristinaV
STARTING OUT

Post by ChristinaV »

Hi guys! What kind of meals would you recommend before a treadmill run??
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Moderate carbs and a decent protein content to energise and protect muscle mass, so things like chicken salad, low fat cheese, peanuts, chocolate milk, a protein shake with carbs in it, low fat protein bars with no rubbish like high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated fats, I:E ones with a 20g or higher protein content and a similar carb amount. Also foods like turkey sandwich, steak and broccoli, fish and rice, chicken / pork / beef stir fry, flaxseeds, low fat yoghurt, tofu, oatmeal and eggs etc.

So there's plenty of options for you including some not listed, but obviously it depends on the time of day. If you're using a treadmill in the evening, you might have had a stir-fry for dinner, but if it's in the morning then it's perfectly okay to eat something like that for breakfast, but it's not considered the sort of food normally associated with breakfast, compared to the oatmeal and eggs option I listed as an example.
BitGid
STARTING OUT

Post by BitGid »

I normaly drink water during a workout but tried green tea a few days and loved it, not sure if placebo effect but I felt with more energie too.
BLPBLP
STARTING OUT

Post by BLPBLP »

BitGid wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:39 am I normaly drink water during a workout but tried green tea a few days and loved it, not sure if placebo effect but I felt with more energie too.
i like to drink green juice, feel much more energized at the gym, been drinking this one about year now.
https://losepoundswithorganifireview..com/
RandolphRay
STARTING OUT

Post by RandolphRay »

It depends on what exercise you do. Also, you may have contraindications to the components, such as caffeine. Not recommended without consulting a doctor.
UrsulaW89
STARTING OUT

Post by UrsulaW89 »

I havent had a very good experience with energy drinks. I don't think that energy drinks help in powering you through a workout because that depends on how tolerant you are of the exercise. Supplements after workout are widely known and they do work to replenish your body of the salts and sugars it needs. Some post workout supplements even prevent muscle pains, so that may be something you'd want to look into.