Working out After Eating and Napping?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Working out After Eating and Napping?

Post by TechnicGeek »

I have found that afternoon napping and then working out for 30 minutes helps me to restore mental power and productivity momentum. I do not always find it easy to fall asleep and recently I have found out that if I eat and drink warm tea, I can easily fall asleep and get the best out of nap time.

Do you see any issue here or something that would make the results of working out less optimal? Somebody told me that it is never good idea to lay on a bed after eating. I don't remember the reason but can it be related to fitness?

Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Working out After Eating and Napping?

Post by Boss Man »

Lying down after eating affect digestion in some way or possibly promote GERD I think, as the stomach acid might find it easier to get back up the oesophageal tract and if it was more acidic based on the acidity level of what you'd eaten that might case an issue, or maybe the displacement of the acid might slow down digestion, but I admit I'm not 100% certain of the reason(s), you say you cannot remember.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

I don't have chair but I think napping in a sitting position would prevent GERD.

Since I workout after napping, I eat before napping in order to not have sugar levels go down that result in less efficient workout. Coupled with the fact that it is not recommended to keep big gaps between meals, not eating before working out would not be healthy. Conversely I heard that you should eat after working out to effectively restore glycogen levels.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Resting in a seated position should theoretically reduce GERD risk, also eating after a workout can definitely help to restore glycogen levels, especially when you have complex carbs and you can also elevate blood sugar as well.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Boss Man wrote:Resting in a seated position should theoretically reduce GERD risk, also eating after a workout can definitely help to restore glycogen levels, especially when you have complex carbs and you can also elevate blood sugar as well.
How good are complex carbs? Are processed foods not complex carbs? Let's say durum pasta versus wholewheat pasta. Which is considered complex?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Complex carbs are just slow digesting ones, like polysaccharides and oligosaccharides the ones you get in things like cereals, vegetables legumes etc, as opposed to fast digesting ones like monosaccharides and disaccharides I:E: fruit sugars, refined sugars, honey sugar etc.

Complex get into your blood stream at a rate of 30 calories per minute, but fast are 2 calories per minute.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Boss Man wrote:Complex get into your blood stream at a rate of 30 calories per minute, but fast are 2 calories per minute.
Not the other way around? Aren't complex carbs absorbed at slower rate? What it takes 1 minute to digest 30 complex carbs would take 15 minute to digest same amount but of fast carbs?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes they do. I just realised mistake, so it should have said complex 2 calories per minute and simple 30 calories per minute.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Not it is understood why sugar, especially in a liquid form is bad for body. It gets consumed at a face rate that liver cannot handle and excess goes to fat cells?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Excess carbs can be converted to fat yes.