Diet and Fitness Advice

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bfc53005
STARTING OUT

Diet and Fitness Advice

Post by bfc53005 »

I work 12 Rotating Shiftwork and i'm looking for advice on a diet that will help me lose weight. rotating shift work mean i work day work then have a couple of days off and then i work night work, back and forth, with a 7 day break off once a month. I'm trying to figure out a diet that works for day time and well as overnights while i am working.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Diet and Fitness Advice

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Bfc, good to speak to you.

What sort of times do you eat at and what sort of foods do you eat at those times?

Is there any sort of system you are trying to implement at this time?
bfc53005
STARTING OUT

Post by bfc53005 »

It varies on what I eat, but it’s really anything that can be heated up in a microwave or toaster oven, as that is all we have at work. Usually lean cuisine or something “healthy” I can heat up. The times in eating are not consistent. When I say I’m working daywork I’m working 5am-5pm and night work is 5pm-5am. I work at a chemical plant so if something is going on in the plant I may not eat at the same time everyday. I just want to try to get on something that will help me lose weight. I’m 6foot 240lbs and goal weight is around 190. wife says I should try keto or nutrisystem.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Here are some snack / main meal options that might work for you like microwave soups, baked beans and rice dishes, oat granola's, ham, turkey, beef, pork and chicken from a packet, low fat cheese, low sugar yoghurt, flax seeds, nuts, peanuts, fruits including tomatoes and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, pre-boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken breast and low fat yoghurt, nuts and peanuts, bread, sandwiches.

Some of those are actual snacks / meals and some you would combine to make a snack, but I'm sure you'll work out which are which :).
Makeetelich92
STARTING OUT

Post by Makeetelich92 »

I think I’m an overweight mesomorph. Shoulders,back and hips are wide but I store fat on thighs and arms. I notice that I can tone up the muscle pretty easily but burning the fat is the problem
cgerhold
STARTING OUT

Post by cgerhold »

Hey there,
I totally get the struggle with shifting schedules and trying to lose weight. I've been through a similar situation, and what really worked for me was establishing a consistent eating routine, even during irregular shifts. I focused on balanced meals with lean proteins, vegetables, and complex carbs.
Also, intermittent fasting helped maintain energy levels. I'd eat during "day" hours and fast during "night" hours. And don't forget to stay hydrated! It makes a huge difference.
In addition, I found that combining proper nutrition with personalized training was the key to success. Consider working with a personal trainer who can create a program tailored to your specific needs and schedule. trainer made a world of difference for me, and I'm sure this combo of personal training and nutrition guidance will help you too. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
domen
STARTING OUT

Post by domen »

bfc53005 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:17 pm I work 12 Rotating Shiftwork and i'm looking for advice on a diet that will help me lose weight. rotating shift work mean i work day work then have a couple of days off and then i work night work, back and forth, with a 7 day break off once a month. I'm trying to figure out a diet that works for day time and well as overnights while i am working.
Hey bro, managing shifts like that can be tough, especially when you're trying to shed some pounds. Here's the deal: focus on eating clean and small, frequent meals. For your day shifts, aim for balanced meals with lean proteins, whole grains, and veggies. Keep it light during night shifts to avoid feeling sluggish—think easy-to-digest stuff.

Stay hydrated, bro, no matter the hour. And when you're off, stick to a regular meal routine to keep things consistent. Prioritize sleep, too—it's key for weight loss and overall health. Consider talking to a nutritionist to help tailor a plan that fits your hectic schedule. You got this!