Cholesterol, some useful insights.

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Cholesterol, some useful insights.

Post by Boss Man »

Firstly I will post a link to a very informative site I found, then I will add some extra stuff of own later on.

Cholesterol Link

I will mention now something I mentioned the other day, but for easier retrieval of information it will be posted here too.

It pertains to the misnomer surrounding "good" and "bad" cholesterol.

You may know that medical heads like to label LDL as "bad", and and HDL as "good".

This is not strictly true, and misleading to many.

To begin.

LDL, (Low Density Lipoprotein), is responsible for transporting Cholesterol to cells that require it, without LDL you could die.

Sound bad now?

LDL is only bad, when it exceeds 100mg's per Decilitre of Blood. To call it bad is doing LDL a big injustice, it's only bad in excess.

HDL, (High Density Lipoprotein), takes damaged or defunked Cholesterol back to the Liver. Depending on the Cholesterols condition it gets recycled for reuse, or it gets removed from the body.

HDL is bad when it drops below 40mg's per Decilitre of blood.

Think of it like this. Are you going to say Books and paper are good, an almost necessary, centuries old prerequisite for learning, but chopping down trees impacts on wildlife levels and habitat, so it's bad. Yeah, but one can't happen without the other, and when you think of it like that, using terms like "good" and "bad" for Cholesterol, is not so easy to do.

Total Cholesterol is bad if it exceeds 200 Mg/dl

The other Lipoprotein to be aware of is, VLDL, (Very Low Density Lipoprotein). A combination of Cholesterol and Triglycerides.

When Triglycerides are removed, it converts to LDL.

Triglycerides make up most if not all of your , and are what excess calories become.

Triglycerides in excess of 150 mg/dl is considered bad, and 500+ may be indicative of Pancreatitis, a condition where the Pancreas can become inflamed causing pain.

The article above doesn't mention certain other natural Cholesterol reducing substances.

One such substance being Beta-glucan. It can be had in supplemental form, but occurs in Oats, Barley, and to some extent Wheat and Rye.

It is broken down by a substance called Beta-glucanase.

On a side note, the other good thing with whole-grains is the rpesence of things called Lignans, or Phytoeostrogens, (Oestrogen mimickers), which bind to Oestrogen receptors, and help to prevent issues resulting from excess Oestrogen production.

They also occur in a few other things like, Soybeans, (Genistein iso-flavone), some Veggies, and Flaxseed.

Co-Q1o was mentioned, but what wasn't mentioned was a slightly controversial product called Red Yeast Rice.

Red Yeast Rice is a Japanese product, comprised of Rice made with a fermented Red Yeast. It has been called a "Natural Statin", but apparently has less side effects, one such side effect I believe it doesn't cause is muscle problems.

In around about 2007, it was removed from use, due to it containing something called Lovocor, or Lovocol, (I forget the exact name), which is a prescription statin.

It has since returned without that ingredient, although I have seen recently some eivdence in America, attempts to prevent it being sold as a supplemental product, have been used, as supposedly it may still cause some unwanted reactions.

Funny that as for example, Copper activity in your body could be compromised, from taking excessive Zinc, but you can still get Copper in Multi-vits, and Zinc in normal form, Zinc Magnesium form, and possibly chelated form too, and Zinc helps to increase immune quality, so surely Mainstream medicine would like things like that lmited for sale too, because healthy people don't need meds right :wink:

The speculation is since R Y R came back, is that it's not as effective as before.

You can judge this two ways.

1. It's true.

2. It's media B.S. to get people back onto Prescription Statins, which as the article above points out, have temporary effects in the main, that could become a poisoned chalice, and don't address root causes of high Cholesterol.

When you think about it, there is only one Liptor product, (Pfizer), and only one Crestor, I think Glaxosmithkline make that

However supplemental products, exist in what is known as an Oligopolistic market, which menas there are no barriers to entry, and anyone can trade, (within reason).

So look at it like this. If people could get a "natural statin" of sorts, with less side effects, off the gaia alternative types, instead of mainstream, why use Lipitor or Crestor?

This is a problem, as most people who pay for prescriptions, wouldn't plough their prescription monies into Mainstream, when they could buy R Y R, and choose where to get it.

Mainstream profits go down, the smaller guys in Gaia alternative circles, experience a slight profit increase. but that wedge of mainstream tax, for Mr Bush but now Mr Obama, would be lost.

Yes the G A guys would pay a bit more tax on profits, but all those little increases in tax, from say 10-20 G A companies, might not equal the deficeit Mainstream guys would have, so overall Mr Prez might lose out.

Food for thought.
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Very interesting reading...thank you again :wink:
Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

Thanks for the info Boss Man very interesting...

In french (Merci) lol
Jumanji23
STARTING OUT

Post by Jumanji23 »

Boss Man is a super computer! these kind of posts by you are favorite. Love the researched discrepancies on industry bias. There's so much of this out there. keep it up, Boss.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: Cholesterol, some useful insights.

Post by ultimatehlth »

Two other highly effective ways to lower cholesterol while raising HDL and drastically improving the HDL to LDL ratio is 1 -2 alcohol drinks a day (red wine best) and niacin (nicotinic acid version only). Niacin was recently found to be more effective than 3 commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals. Always check with your doctor first.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Hollywood
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In that case then, screw the alcohol and eat the Grapes. Then you don't get any negative fermented byproducts associated with Wine.

Also you could use supplemental Tryptophan, as it converts to Niacin in vivo.
CristinaZepol01
STARTING OUT

Post by CristinaZepol01 »

definitely a good read here. an eye-opener about LDLs and HDLs. good thing mine are of normal levels.
JeniG
STARTING OUT

Post by JeniG »

This is a very interesting read! So many people think ´cholesterol - oh god, that´s BAD! ´ and that is just so misleading, so thanks for spelling it out! Grape seed extract/resveratrol is an excellent supplement, as is coenzyne Q10. Personally, I prefer to go the natural route to health, where possible (haven´t taken pharma meds in years). :D
michella
STARTING OUT

Post by michella »

Thanks a lot bossman :) . I really din't know there was so much of difference between food cholesterol and bad cholesterol . Must say , it was a very interesting read . Do keep posting more info like this , trust me it really does help ! :)

Health Tips
DanPetraglia
STARTING OUT

Post by DanPetraglia »

Very interesting. Cholesterol levels are an important corner. Something now that I think about that I've left out on blog haha! Calories and fat monitoring are also essential. Feel free to stop by. Good Luck Guys!

http://fitnessandweightlosscentral.com
wleemitch
STARTING OUT

Post by wleemitch »

Supposedly Lipitor doesn't have any effect on cholesterol. It just happens to have powerful anti inflammatory properties.

Most of what I've come across shows that inflammation is the major cause of heart disease. Not cholesterol. Half of those who die of heart disease have cholesterol levels lower than that which is said to be high.

Does this red yeast rice have an effect on coq10 levels?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not sure whether it does or not in truth. I never read anything at the time, suggesting a negative link between Red Yeast Rice and Co-Q10, but I can't say with certainty it's not possible.

It's entirely possible they may compliment each other. The only slight thing you might need ot be aware of, is because it does contain Yeast, it may have been linked to Yeast infections and if so, potentially legitimately too, not necessarily as some kind of phoeny baloney media to scare people back onto statins.

You'd have to check that if you were considering it.
MaryFitness01
STARTING OUT

Post by MaryFitness01 »

Achieving lower cholesterol is one of the best ways to protect yourself from heart attack and stroke. A referral to a dietician should be considered if you have weight loss plan.
Andrew001
STARTING OUT

Post by Andrew001 »

I will add up comments like that cholesterol is the source of heart attacking , stroke as well as it causes severe pains in joints and legs as I have been experienced with grandmother legs pain and the test reveal this one.The post is really great and informative.Thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The Leg pain might have been Peripheral Arterial Disease, which causes blockages to the blood pathways, thet provide circulation to the Legs.