Cholesterol, some useful insights.

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bravegirl
STARTING OUT

Re: Cholesterol, some useful insights.

Post by bravegirl »

I do have a high cholesterol and try to take Niacin, but it caused a severe reaction " flushing" over entire body.
What other supplements I can take? I workout 3 times a week and try to eat healthy. Just can't get this bugger to go down. I have heard of red yeast rice and coq10 do they work? How long do you have to be on it, before you see results?
Thanks for listening, Marina
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

They should have positive effects.

I may have psoted about Red Yeast Rice in detail in intitial post, but I'm feeling lazy so I haven't checked, but it got bad press for having Lovocor in it, a prescription statin content, which was causing many side effects.

When it was relaunched minus the content, claims abounded it was less effective. Now this could be taken in two ways.

1. It was true.

2. It was lies to scare people back on to prescription drugs, like Lipitor, Crestor and Zetia.

It is basically rice with a fermented red yeast in it, though some claim people with yeast allergies and / or infections might avoid it, because it might trigger a problem or aggrevate it.

I don't know how or if it could affect such people however.

Other cholesterol lowering supplements may include CLA, (Conugated Linoleic Acid), Fish Oil, Krill Oil, Omega 3 and 6, (you can sometimes get a 3,6 and 9 combo together), Beta-Glucan supplements as well, as Beta-Glucan is found quite a bit in Barley and Oats and to some extent Wheat and Rye and in something called Lentinen Mushrooms I believe.

Also introducing more foods into your diet like Whole-grains as stated, edible omega oils, Nuts, (Walnuts expecially), Peanuts, Avocado, Soy products, like Soybeans, Edemame, Tofu, Tempeh and Nattokinase, (fermeted Soy with Bifidus), Flax, Omega eggs, (Chickens fed some Flax) Low Fat Cheese and seeds I.E. Flaxseed, Sunseed etc, plus those Mushrooms I just mentioned. I don't think Beta-Glucan occurs in any other types of Mushrooms, but could be wrong.

Obviously as you may be aware, to keep things ideal, LDL should be 100mg's or less and total 200 or less, with Triglycerides 150 or less, so maybe some of the things I suggested are worth investigating at least :).
Jentry07
STARTING OUT

Post by Jentry07 »

Very informative! Thanks for sharing this! I think the eggs and cholesterol is a long standing myth, that I for one am still not sure where it stands?!
Stephen_D
STARTING OUT

Post by Stephen_D »

http://www.anyvitamins.com/apple-cider-vinegar-info.htm

Apple Cider Vinegar is excellent for lowering cholesterol. I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned on this thread. Its weight loss properties are questionable, but its been proven to maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
Stay_Fit
STARTING OUT

Post by Stay_Fit »

Extra Virgin Olive Oil and avocado are good sources of good cholesterol so having more of them is good for the body. I didn't know much about cholesterol before until I read this post. It's very informative and helpful to everyone. Thanks! :)
Mabel
STARTING OUT

Post by Mabel »

Boss Man wrote:Firstly I will post a link to a very informative site I found, then I will add some extra stuff of own later on.

Cholesterol Link

I will mention now something I mentioned the other day, but for easier retrieval of information it will be posted here too.

It pertains to the misnomer surrounding "good" and "bad" cholesterol.

You may know that medical heads like to label LDL as "bad", and and HDL as "good".

This is not strictly true, and misleading to many.

To begin.

LDL, (Low Density Lipoprotein), is responsible for transporting Cholesterol to cells that require it, without LDL you could die.

Sound bad now?

LDL is only bad, when it exceeds 100mg's per Decilitre of Blood. To call it bad is doing LDL a big injustice, it's only bad in excess.

HDL, (High Density Lipoprotein), takes damaged or defunked Cholesterol back to the Liver. Depending on the Cholesterol condition it gets recycled for reuse, or it gets removed from the body.

HDL is bad when it drops below 40mg's per Decilitre of blood.

Think of it like this. Are you going to say Books and paper are good, an almost necessary, centuries old prerequisite for learning, but chopping down trees impacts on wildlife levels and habitat, so it's bad. Yeah, but one can't happen without the other, and when you think of it like that, using terms like "good" and "bad" for Cholesterol, is not so easy to do.

Total Cholesterol is bad if it exceeds 200 Mg/dl

The other Lipoprotein to be aware of is, VLDL, (Very Low Density Lipoprotein). A combination of Cholesterol and Triglycerides.

When Triglycerides are removed, it converts to LDL.

Triglycerides make up most if not all of your , and are what excess calories become.

Triglycerides in excess of 150 mg/dl is considered bad, and 500+ may be indicative of Pancreatitis, a condition where the Pancreas can become inflamed causing pain.

The article above doesn't mention certain other natural Cholesterol reducing substances.

One such substance being Beta-glucan. It can be had in supplemental form, but occurs in Oats, Barley, and to some extent Wheat and Rye.

It is broken down by a substance called Beta-glucanase.

On a side note, the other good thing with whole-grains is the rpesence of things called Lignans, or Phytoeostrogens, (Oestrogen mimickers), which bind to Oestrogen receptors, and help to prevent issues resulting from excess Oestrogen production.

They also occur in a few other things like, Soybeans, (Genistein iso-flavone), some Veggies, and Flaxseed.

Co-Q1o was mentioned, but what wasn't mentioned was a slightly controversial product called Red Yeast Rice.

Red Yeast Rice is a Japanese product, comprised of Rice made with a fermented Red Yeast. It has been called a "Natural Statin", but apparently has less side effects, one such side effect I believe it doesn't cause is muscle problems.

In around about 2007, it was removed from use, due to it containing something called Lovocor, or Lovocol, (I forget the exact name), which is a prescription statin.

It has since returned without that ingredient, although I have seen recently some eivdence in America, attempts to prevent it being sold as a supplemental product, have been used, as supposedly it may still cause some unwanted reactions.

Funny that as for example, Copper activity in your body could be compromised, from taking excessive Zinc, but you can still get Copper in Multi-vits, and Zinc in normal form, Zinc Magnesium form, and possibly chelated form too, and Zinc helps to increase immune quality, so surely Mainstream medicine would like things like that lmited for sale too, because healthy people don't need meds right :wink:

The speculation is since R Y R came back, is that it's not as effective as before.

You can judge this two ways.

1. It's true.

2. It's media B.S. to get people back onto Prescription Statins, which as the article above points out, have temporary effects in the main, that could become a poisoned chalice, and don't address root causes of high Cholesterol.

When you think about it, there is only one Liptor product, (Pfizer), and only one Crestor, I think Glaxosmithkline make that

However supplemental products, exist in what is known as an Oligopolistic market, which menas there are no barriers to entry, and anyone can trade, (within reason).

So look at it like this. If people could get a "natural statin" of sorts, with less side effects, off the gaia alternative types, instead of mainstream, why use Lipitor or Crestor?

This is a problem, as most people who pay for prescriptions, wouldn't plough their prescription monies into Mainstream, when they could buy R Y R, and choose where to get it.

Mainstream profits go down, the smaller guys in Gaia alternative circles, experience a slight profit increase. but that wedge of mainstream tax, for Mr Bush but now Mr Obama, would be lost.

Yes the G A guys would pay a bit more tax on profits, but all those little increases in tax, from say 10-20 G A companies, might not equal the deficeit Mainstream guys would have, so overall Mr Prez might lose out.

Food for thought.
Really an informative article. thanks boss man. writ on weight loss supplements too.
jacal1
STARTING OUT

Post by jacal1 »

Great original post - very accurate and informative. I want mto echo the part that the last poster said - the name "good cholesterol" is misleading since you can have too much HDL. This can really fool people and prevent them from getting the medical help they need.

site: Fitness and Home Remedies
jamecky
STARTING OUT

Post by jamecky »

If anyone is interested in what to eat to help lower your cholesterol, I found this article interesting:
http://www.fitness2health.com/diet-nutr ... olesterol/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This off the website doesn't make much sense.
The good cholesterol HDL on the other hand lower the levels of LDL in the body by helping transport the LDL to the liver where it is excreted. HDL cholesterol can be found in fishes as well as in nuts.
LDL and HDL are not Cholesterols in themselves. Low Density and High Density lipoproteins are transport mechanisms for Cholesterol.

LDL takes fresh Cholesterol where it's needed. HDL takes it back to the Liver for repair or riddance, depending on whether it's partly or chronically damaged.

Without LDL you would die, as no fresh Cholesterol could be transported where it's wanted and another thing it does that is not mentioned on the article, is get used to make up Myelin, the fatty substance that covers the nervous systems and helps protect them.

LDL is only bad when too high and HDL is bad when too low.
If you have to eat fried foods, make sure that the oil that you use is made out of vegetable.
I disagree in part. Coconut Oil is fine, as the Medium Chain Triglycerides, Lauric Acid, Capryllic Acid and Caproic Acid, convert to energy in the Liver and Coconut Oil is very heat stable, so it shouldn't breach the smoke point too easily and become a carcinogenic substance.

Soybean Oil should be fine too for frying, as should Peanut Oil and Sesame Oil, unless you have allergies that is. If an individual is not sure about the stability of such oils, there are websites that will tell you, that are relatively easy to find.

Flaxseed Oil is definitely one to avoid for frying.

It should be mentioned I'm talking frying, where you use a nominal amount of fat content to fry with, not deep frying where you use a vast glut of fat.
Never use butter as this is rich in saturated fats.

One of which being Lauric Acid, an MCT as described above. Frankly if you're frying with a bit, I don't see this as a problem, especially as Butter is very good for heat stability. You'd only get an issue, if you stuck 1/4 of a packet of butter or more in the frying pan to cook with, but if you were just using a bit around the size of a thumb, from the tip of the thumb to the first knuckle, you'd be fine I feel :).
Garenius
STARTING OUT

Post by Garenius »

Just a strange question, but between canola oil and normal vegetable oil, which one has more cholesterol? Or is it equivalent to each other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bodysharp.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - fitness boot camp, boot camp melbourne, gym hawthorn, melbourne gyms, personal trainers melbourne
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

i'm not sure. I tried to check but couldn't find anything.
Biddy711
STARTING OUT

Post by Biddy711 »

Fish oils are essential for controlling cholesterol levels. It's important where your getting your fish oils however because most stores carry omegas that are deficient in nutrients that they claim to have. Fish oils from places such as WalMart, Target and GNC are basically useless because they do not contain the amount of omegas that are needed. If you don't believe me, watch this link--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp51TIji_Do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. mom and grandma have been taking the omegas from AdvoCare and have seen significant drops in their cholesterol levels!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The terminology "Pharmaceutical Grade", is indeed as stated, absolutely no guarantee of quality.

All it means is the product has all the ingredients listed and it is used on things like multi-vits as well.

one slight issue with the video is whilst it's good to be naming a couple of good brands, it's unfair on the other brands that may have been highly rated, as the expert never said there were only two brands excelling in testing, so whilst naming more than one brand shows a level of impartiality, it does not highlight all brands that passed, nor did the individual, from what I could make out, say these results were free to access on their site.

If I recall correctly, Consumerlab makes people pay for test results, on multiple brands of the same product. I'm not completely in agreement with this, as whilst I appreciate it might help Consumerlab to function financially, it's like saying if you're health means anything to you, you'll pay the charge for the information you want, which is like holding good health choices for ransom in effect.

This is good unbiased advice they give people, but surely there could be some alternative solution, where they could provide the results free of charge and then find other more socially acceptable ways, to acquire financial resources.
malandi87
STARTING OUT

Post by malandi87 »

This is a nice read. I am glad I found this post immediately. I just joined this forum.
Kevsworld
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Kevsworld »

I actually discovered cholesterol was high a few months ago. I did research for about six months and you can read about what I learned here:
http://musclereview.net/lower-cholester ... ut-statins

You'll see one of main strategies was Niacin--this is what I think most people should try if (like me) they need additional help beyond diet and exercise. I would recommend Endur-Acin. But you really need to talk to your doctor and make sure your liver is OK--Niacin, like statins, can negatively affect it (theoretically).