Multi-vits, Some In's And Outs.

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Multi-vits, Some In's And Outs.

Post by Boss Man »

Some multi-vits don't digest too well and might have hidden risks. Bossman suggests the following.

Multi-vit rule 1.

Place in some tin foil in an Oven. Heat at around 350 for 3-4 minutes if it goes black it's got Coal Tar in it, (a filler). Bin them.

Multi-vit rule 2.

Place in 2-4 inches of Vinegar. If it dissolves in 30-45 minutes, it should dissovle in the stomach.

Sediment in the bottom is Grit, anything floating on the Top is sawdust. These are fillers not active ingredients, so are not legally required to be listed.

This is a secondary rule, because if you do this first, you can't do an oven test on a dissolved multi-vit, so you'd need to use another one. If they're good, you're wasting 2 not one. one that hasn't blackened in the oven, could still be Vinegar tested, if it blackens why do the V T?

Pharmaceutical grade Multi-vits, have their ingredients listed in full, that's all that means. They might be more expensive possibly, but that doesn't guarantee no fillers or acceptable amounts of things. BEWARE of PG multi-vits.

Beware of toxic filler scare mongering.

Yrs soem people may highlight things in multi-vits you didn't know of.

I read recently about something in some called Titanium Dioxide, a filler, that therefore need not be legally stated.

Apparently a possible Cancer risk, supposedly caused Lung Cancer in Rats.

Turns out the studies were likened to a man, working with T D in an industrial environment, potentially for several hours a day, several years back to back.

Compare that to a trace or almost trace amount, in a multi-vit or similar product. You can see how the scary fearmongering vehicle can get into motion.

If concerned about certain things, research them, find out if any independant sites state hidden fillers, then if necessary, Google them to see if any are toxic and in what amounts. Most of these things probably would require exposure, of a highly prolonged industrial nature, so trace or near trace amounts once a day, won't realistically screw you up after 20 years will they?
JeniG
STARTING OUT

Re: Multi-vits, Some In's And Outs.

Post by JeniG »

I`ve said it before, and I`m saying it again...I really love doctors naturals products - http://www.doctorsnatural.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . They are high quality and 100% natural. I haven`t done your tests on them boss man, but I will. Will let you know the results! :)
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by scottgaran »

Gotta say Boss, thought this was gonna be one of those tests that ends in the last direction saying only do #1. Good stuff though, I'm gonna try it.
Scott
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No need, because if the first test proved the Multi-vit has Coal tar you'd bin it anyway, if it didn't it should still be intact and then you'd be able to do the second test for things like Sawdust and Grit anyway.

The problem is, if you do the second test first and it dissolved quickly, with no sediment of any kind, it wouldn't necessarily prove if there was coal tar in it or not, unless the Vinegar went a strange colour perhaps, but I am 99% certain that wouldn't happen, if a Multi-vit with coal tar dissolved.
ihanna
STARTING OUT

Post by ihanna »

Boss Man wrote:Some multi-vits don't digest too well and might have hidden risks. Bossman suggests the following.

Multi-vit rule 1.

Place in some tin foil in an Oven. Heat at around 350 for 3-4 minutes if it goes black it's got Coal Tar in it, (a filler). Bin them.

Multi-vit rule 2.

Place in 2-4 inches of Vinegar. If it dissolves in 30-45 minutes, it should dissovle in the stomach.

Sediment in the bottom is Grit, anything floating on the Top is sawdust. These are fillers not active ingredients, so are not legally required to be listed.

This is a secondary rule, because if you do this first, you can't do an oven test on a dissolved multi-vit, so you'd need to use another one. If they're good, you're wasting 2 not one. one that hasn't blackened in the oven, could still be Vinegar tested, if it blackens why do the V T?

Pharmaceutical grade Multi-vits, have their ingredients listed in full, that's all that means. They might be more expensive possibly, but that doesn't guarantee no fillers or acceptable amounts of things. BEWARE of PG multi-vits.

Beware of toxic filler scare mongering.

Yrs soem people may highlight things in multi-vits you didn't know of.

I read recently about something in some called Titanium Dioxide, a filler, that therefore need not be legally stated.

Apparently a possible Cancer risk, supposedly caused Lung Cancer in Rats.

Turns out the studies were likened to a man, working with T D in an industrial environment, potentially for several hours a day, several years back to back.

Compare that to a trace or almost trace amount, in a multi-vit or similar product. You can see how the scary fearmongering vehicle can get into motion.

If concerned about certain things, research them, find out if any independant sites state hidden fillers, then if necessary, Google them to see if any are toxic and in what amounts. Most of these things probably would require exposure, of a highly prolonged industrial nature, so trace or near trace amounts once a day, won't realistically screw you up after 20 years will they?
Can you please elaborate more about the PG multi vits? I can't seem to fin any reliable info about that on google. I appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. —Gandhi
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I don't know of any specific types, it is just something listed on some multi-vitamin brands. As I said, it is just terminology that means all the ingredients are listed, it is almost certainly nothing to do with purity, ingredient levels, quality etc.
malandi87
STARTING OUT

Post by malandi87 »

As I understand it, if a particular pill failed in any of the two tests, we should throw them away. I just want to ask though, Is there a test where we could determine if a pill has Titanium Dioxide or not? Thank you very much for the info boss man. You may save lives because of this.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I don't know of any specific hone-based tests, that can detect titanium dioxide or other metallic type fillers, but as stated titanium dioxide would need ot be exposed to you for several hours a day for many years to replicate conditions the rat ended up in during the Harvard study, so you shouldn't be concerned by titanium dioxide realistically when consuming it in a supplement, if indeed it is in there.

It's mildy questionable if it's in something and not disclosed, but health wise I don't perceive it to be a problem.
Nairo
STARTING OUT

Post by Nairo »

What about fish oil capsules - cod liver oil or omega oils.

Any way of testing these at home for impurities??

:shock:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

None that i'm aware of.