how often do I take whey protein

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kingjj25
STARTING OUT

how often do I take whey protein

Post by kingjj25 »

Should I have a protein shake on days that I do not go to the gym?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: how often do I take whey protein

Post by Boss Man »

It depends on what other ways you use them aside from after or before a workout.

If you use one at night and / or a whole or part one with breakfast, then continue with those options if you use them.

If you just use one after or before workouts, then you need not do that again, unless you want to at the same time of the day., but protein shakes are fine however they are not strictly necessary after workouts.

Though if you feel you'd rather not have one on non-workout days if you ever have one before or after workouts, then there's no hard and fast reason to have one.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I take them before I workout, after I workout, and if I'm in need of more calories or a quick snack throughout the day.
omarsfitness
STARTING OUT

Post by omarsfitness »

i tend to have them only on gym days to help everything
spunki
STARTING OUT

Post by spunki »

I suggest you take post workout, during breakfast, or anytime during the day to up your protein intake. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That's fine providing that course of action proved relevant to the individual, but if they consume protein shakes and it does nothing other than increase their body fat, from mostly unused calories, then it could be a counterproductive thing.

The person would therefore be wise to do one of the things you suggested on non-workout days and make it one change to their routine that can be monitored for 2-4 weeks, to see if anything good comes out of it.
jocko2112
STARTING OUT

Post by jocko2112 »

I would take it about an hour before working out and directly after working out. Post workout, make sure to include so carbs ( sugar) with it for fast delivery.