A Good Protein Powder?

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

JeremyL
STARTING OUT

A Good Protein Powder?

Post by JeremyL »

What is the safe choice of protein powder in terms of quality? I don't want to eat some repackaged chinese cheap crap.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: A Good Protein Powder?

Post by Boss Man »

Basic quality is concentrate. I think it's around 30% Casein and 70% whey.

Next step up but a bit more pricier is isolate. I think it's around 15% Casein and 85% whey.

The premium quality thing nowadays supposedly is hydrolysate. I think it's supposedly 100% whey from memory.

There are also the Soy alternatives as well.

You can then get the vegan types I:E Nutrisport Vegan 90+, where the proteins are from vegetable matter.

In the case of ingredients a good carb source will help like maltodextrin, waxy maize starch, glucomannan or palatinose, the latter being a bound simple and complex carb conbination.

Then a good powder should have elevated BCAA's and glutamine and realistically you need not have anything that contains more than 5-6 ingredients, as the ones with 10-15+ ingredients, tend to be pricey and not necessary, as people got big years ago with hard work and food and didn't just gain 10lbs of muscle then start juicing, so those pricey things are not the answer to how to get an extra 30-40lbs of muscle before you need to use gear for more; heck even protein powders aren't strictly necessary, you could get a similar effect having a beef sandwich with trimmings after a workout and a carton of fruit juice, but the breakdown and absorption of nutrients would take a bit longer obviously.

Hopefully that answers your question :).
JacksonJox
STARTING OUT

Post by JacksonJox »

I would go with a non-soy whey powder because certain studies have failed to recognize certain health effects of whey proteins that have come up with other whey supplements. I would also like to point out that a higher protein intake would be helpful for most people, and getting it from a protein whey soure is very convenient.

" Another good thing about whey protein is the fact that it is a strong caloric restriction mimetic. "

Which is a reaon why I have added whey powders to diet, I strongly encourage you to check up more health effects of whey powders.
NobleR
STARTING OUT

Post by NobleR »

It Works! Global has a really good protein powder. It has non-hormonal whey and soy proteins, also with "mood elevating super foods". Only 100 calories per serving and made with natural, whole-food ingredients. Pretty tasty, too.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

You should check out Truenutrition.com's protein. They have many different selections that are all custom made in THEIR OWN factory. Solid company. http://truenutrition.com/c-54-proteins.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Trueprotein are good for custom powders too as well as Myprotein, although Myprotein are british and Trueprotein are American and I think Trueprotein have a slightly higher ingredient selection.
Hanssen1
STARTING OUT

Post by Hanssen1 »

I think that unless you go with some really ‘shady’ brands, most protein powders are going to be OK to take. Some reputable sties online actually do reviews of different protein brands. They do not talk about tasty or not tasty, but they chemically determine the protein composition of the powder (which tells you if you are buying value or not).
Rippedjym
STARTING OUT

Post by Rippedjym »

JeremyL wrote:What is the safe choice of protein powder in terms of quality? I don't want to eat some repackaged chinese cheap crap.
It depends on what you can afford. I sip on hydro whey thew our the day but most rely on food.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

just a heads up that the guy you responded to only posted twice over 4 years ago, so it's highly unlikely he'll read what you said :).
tylerr
STARTING OUT

Post by tylerr »

I drink a protein shake after I do resistance training. I have read it is best to drink one within 60 minutes of your workout. I find it fills me up for awhile.