To gain a bit of size and get ripped

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

marcelkloppers1
STARTING OUT

To gain a bit of size and get ripped

Post by marcelkloppers1 »

HI, I'm still relatively new to using sups, but i just started exercising recently and I'm using a few different sups at the moment(Phedra cut Hypercore, USN's Lean-8 multi-phase protein and SPN's TEST-RX). I also have creatine but have not used it because most of friends suggested I lose weight first before I try to bulk up, but I wanna get a bit more opinion on it. I'm 20 and weigh 95kg, I'm 1.81m tall and have a body fat percentage of 25-30%. I already have a pretty decent gym routine, but I want all the help can get to get results...
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: To gain a bit of size and get ripped

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Marcel, nice to talk to you.

Firstly the people who are discussing creatine with you are right, you don't need to use that at this moment in time.

Also the other things aren't worth diddly squat either.

You're trying to cut with a little bulking initially, before bulking more seriously and people in your situation don't need test boosters, or a pile of crud thermogenic, or crappy fat burner, as thermo's and fat burners are pure garbage, especially products with "proprietary blends", as that term allows manufacturers to avoid listing the amounts of the ingredients in the blend, making it hard to ascertain if the product is good or value for money.

That also includes the protein powder with its "patented blend of proteases", protein digesting enzymes; you'd be better buying one with carbs and around 4-6 ingredients in, as the ones with 10+ ingredients can have "proprietary blends" and can be quite pricey and don't really offer better long-lerm gains than cheaper ones in opinion, just slightly quicker long-term gains.

So I'd switch the protein powder for a cheaper isolate or hydrolysate, ditch the other two things you're currently using and save the creatine for a later date.

Right now if the routine is dialed in then the other main area of focus would be the diet.
marcelkloppers1
STARTING OUT

Post by marcelkloppers1 »

Well diet at the moment is just your basic healthy eating, and avoiding any form of processed foods, carbs and sugars. But I was also wondering about the sugar part, I know i should try to avoid your everyday sugar(sucrose), but is fructose and lactose fine? Because the people I talked to said that at the beginning of diet I need to avoid the use of dairy products and fruits to see better results, which I can understand but wouldn't that lead to maul nutrition? Or am I just over thinking it? And the same about vegetables with high carb values such as rice and potato's(don't know if it's true, just asking about what I heard?)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You wouldn't get malnutrition no, but the references by others to lactose and fructose are quite valid, but you could still have a little.

As for the high GI carbs the impact on blood sugar could be moderated in two ways.

1. Mixing them with lower GI sources I:E: potatoes + Broccoli, or Rice + Mushrooms as examples, as this creates a lower combined GI reducing the effect of the higher GI carbs providing at least 25% of the come from lower GI stuff otherwise there would be little improvement on blood sugar effects from the high GI carbs.

2. Cooking them, as any carb source that is cooked will deplete slightly so you get less carbs than you did when the food was raw, however you still should be mindful if needs be abotu portion size if you're cooking high GI stuff.
Everett
STARTING OUT

Post by Everett »

Creatine is mostly water weight though it does have a positive effect on muscle building. If you want to go the protein supplement way then a protein blend (whey, casein, creatine) taken at different times of the day can give you better results. The whey I use has BCAAs in it, so it works for pre workout.
Biscuits
STARTING OUT

Post by Biscuits »

Skip the sups all together, Marcel. An intense training session and a good diet are way cheaper and more effective than any expensive supplements.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I agree with leaning up first then adding supps.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Also those all in one things with creatine lack flexibility. Fine if you want one hit a day, but you like protein shakes after a workout, before bed and maybe even half with breakfast, or you like more than one dose of glutamine a day, then the all in ones aren't good because you'll potentially consume too much creatine per day and risk kidney problems.

It's claimed they offer a cheaper solution to buying a load of separate products, which is true, but then some of the peripheral ingredients like HMB, chromium and ZMA aren't necessary, so if you buy a half decent protein powder with 5-6 ingredients max, that has added glutamine and BCAA's you could buy free form creatine and stack it with the powder when you want it and take the protein powder at other times without ingesting any more creatine.

Chances are compared to an all in one, the powder and creatine would be about the same price or little more, but you get much more flexibility over what you use.

Not least as using all in ones constantly, would mean eventually having to stop for anything between 1 week an 1 month, owing to the sort of creatine cycle you'd be using, then you'd need an alternative solution for the chosen length of time.

However yes all in ones are okay, if you just want something after workout only, but again, stick to ones with few ingredients not ones with "proprietary blends" and a much higher cost that aren't worth it.