protein: bars vs, powder

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

zerosktrkd
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

protein: bars vs, powder

Post by zerosktrkd »

positives and negatives?
SarahPT
REGULAR

Post by SarahPT »

Typically bars have added crap to them, sometimes trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. They're ususally heavily processed. There are a few exceptions, such as Elev8me bars. Powders are usually a much better choice. Less added crap.

Sarah
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Protein powders give fats efficient Protein intake and Bloogsugar increase after workouts.

Powder cna be used possibly as part of a breakfats for same reasons.

Bars aren't brilliant, but aren't like Fast food, so if you do get one, (I'm not sayign you should or shouldn't) eat maybe 1-2 a day between meals, and get one with Carbs and Protein about the same, around 25-30g.
zerosktrkd
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by zerosktrkd »

ive used powsers before and after a while thay become verry hard to get down for me i dunno i might just try diffrent flavors and stuff cause i took strawberry muscle milk for about 2 months at first it wasnt bad but after about 2 weeks it was almost impossible to get down i dunno im might go either way or could i for example take powder in the morning and the eat a bar after i workout?
dannysmoggy
STARTING OUT

Post by dannysmoggy »

the best meal replacement drink i think there is is maximuscles Promax Diet http://www.maximuscle.com/promaxdiet
Zhaga
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: protein: bars vs, powder

Post by Zhaga »

Protein bars are typically made of low quality proteins and are just glorified candybars. Making your own is a better option.

I would go for powders ..it just better.. good taste and more ingredients not that much trash in it ... :D :D :D
Alinshop
REGULAR

Re:

Post by Alinshop »

SarahPT wrote:Typically bars have added crap to them, sometimes trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. They're ususally heavily processed. There are a few exceptions, such as Elev8me bars. Powders are usually a much better choice. Less added crap.

Sarah
That's why they taste so good :lol:

Seriously though, favorite bar's are Quest and Power Crunch brands which taste great and contain low sugar and carbs. Power Crunch just came out w/a brand new chocolate mint bar that tastes like the Girl scout Thin Mint's.
Relaxer
STARTING OUT

Post by Relaxer »

Man, one of the major incentives for getting through a tough workout is "Just wait for that protein shake"
I love them. I use the ON Gold Standard Whey in chocolate and mix two scoops with 8 oz of skim milk and it is such a treat.
At night I do one scoop of ON Casein with 8 oz of skim and that too is like a delicious glass of (thick) chocolate milk.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The milk would just be bulking up the casein content and adding a bit of whey.

Have you considered perhaps combining some of the freeform casein and freeform whey in a water mix as an alternative? You could if the tase was a bit iffy, try things like vanilla essence, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, some honey, cinnamon or mocha powder and mix and match a few times until you found your ideal blend.

It might be a different tack on things, although what you're currently doing is perfectly fine, it's just that by using the casein and whey stacked, you can then potentially have as much casein as you would from casein or milk, but add more whey to compenstae for some or all of the lost calories water wouldn't provide, but you'd get more flexbility over the casein to whey ratio :).
Nutterlie22
STARTING OUT

Post by Nutterlie22 »

What is casein???
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

A slow digesting protein prevalent in milk that can be found in protein powders as a component of whey and whey isolate or on it's own.

It has 8 calories per gram versus other proteins that have 4 calories per gram.
Nutterlie22
STARTING OUT

Post by Nutterlie22 »

To be honest I love milk as it is and drink about 4-6 pints of it a week including in porridge skimmed that is. I sometimes just have a glass as a snack......