Best protein shake?

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

jonwade
STARTING OUT

Best protein shake?

Post by jonwade »

I have been advised to start drinking a protein shake after working out in the evening. I generally do not eat a lot in the evening, and weight train late.

I looked in Holland and Barratt today, and also looked at some Maximuscle products in JJB Sports, but could not decide what to get. The only whey powders came in giant tubs. I would have got whey, if I could get a smaller sample. So, what do you suggest?

I am overweight, and plan to weight train twice per week. Also run and do martial arts. I plan to eat a well balanced diet. I was advised to increase protein consumption to 300g per day, but have decided that I need to concentrate on being healthy as well as building muscle, and by that I mean I do not want to have to eat too much meat and fish as these both cause problems.

Also, I do not like milk much, or strawberry shakes - and a lot of the powders I was in town today were like that. Is there a good chocolate shake. That would be ideal, as I love chocolate!

At the moment I drink a hot chocolate after working out, but this is probably less than ideal!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Try Myprotein.co.uk.

Customised mixes, customised quantities.
jonwade
STARTING OUT

Post by jonwade »

Thanks for that link. Now I have another question! I looked up the Power and Strength section of myprotein, and it has a meal planner. There is a lot of oats and bread eaten - which is fine by me - but on another forum I was advised not to eat porridge and toast, and to increase protein to crazy levels (crazy in opinion, not theirs.) Now, I think that oats are great for energy, and healthy too, so I am not planning to change diet here. But I am interested in your opinion, as I have heard from at least two other sources that for people looking to build muscle, oats and bread is out. Is this just daft advice by people that do not know what they are talking about, or is there a valid reason why some people should avoid these carbs?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Frankly the Oats thing I hold no creedence in. I know people from places I've been who eat Rolled Oats as a Grain / Carb source. I think they are okay, and don't have truck with people eating them.

To knowledge they are also good for people with digestive intolerances, like Celiacs, or Crohns, as unlike things like Wheat, they shouldn't present a risk to the Illium, or the Villi in the Illium, which are responsible for a lot of the nutrient processing in your diet.

Bread I can see that, as refined Flour and such normal Breads, are condusive to possible Fat gains. Plus they're often moderate to high GI

Whole-greain Wheat Bread falls into the same category, but the ingredients, are less likely to trigger potential Fat gains, but owing to the GI nature of the Bread, you should still keep portions lowered, and perhaps to times when Bloodsugar is lower than usual, like as part of a Breakfast, or after workouts.
bmac_21
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by bmac_21 »

GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein.

i just recently got this stuff. The chocolate tastes surprisingly good in water, and EXCELLENT in milk.

Ive also tried chocolate caramel which is...alright...but theres also orange, berries, coockies and cream and alot of other choices you can choose from.

just find a GNC near you
icharlee17
STARTING OUT

Post by icharlee17 »

I drink ForGoodness Shakes you can get them in banana, mixed berry, chocolate and vanilla, all ranging in calories depending on your needs. They taste amazing and are really really good for training. I run and do martial arts and weights too and they dont cause you to gain weight if you get the right calorific value to fit in with your diet !!
Zhaga
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: Best protein shake?

Post by Zhaga »

Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey :mrgreen:

Contains excellent quality, high biological value protein that’s very quickly absorbed. :twisted: It’s also low in carbs; ideal if you want to stay lean :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Danny_Sparks
STARTING OUT

Post by Danny_Sparks »

You should try out Shakeology. It is a protein shake meal replacer that is meant for taking after workouts. I find that the chocolate flavor actually taste a lot like hot chocolate so you won't have to worry about that disgusting protein shake flavor, but everyones taste buds are different.
spunki
STARTING OUT

Post by spunki »

Have you tried Game Plan Grass-Fed Whey rGBH Free Protein? It's available in Chocolate and Vanilla
https://gameplan.com/-strength-matters
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

He hasn't posted for 8 years so I doubt he will again :).
susanamussen5307
STARTING OUT

Re:

Post by susanamussen5307 »

Boss Man wrote:Try Myprotein.co.uk.

Customised mixes, customised quantities.
I've heard they're really good!