creatine under 18?

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kungfuninja
STARTING OUT

creatine under 18?

Post by kungfuninja »

i've heard rumours that creatine shouldn't be taken under the age of 18?
is this true? if so, why?

kungfuninja
sameey70
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: creatine under 18?

Post by sameey70 »

kungfuninja wrote:i've heard rumours that creatine shouldn't be taken under the age of 18?
is this true? if so, why?

kungfuninja
Creatine as with all "nutritional supplements" are not FDA regulated. Many substances react differently in the "youth" than in adults and studies have not been done on the younger population.
Brutus1
STARTING OUT

Post by Brutus1 »

Kungfuninja,

"It is recommended that creatine not be used by individuals under the age of 18 because, many of the long-term consequences of creatine use are unknown, especially in individuals under 18 years old.
The American College of Sports Medicine officially discourages creatine use in teenagers because of the lack of knowledge regarding potential adverse effects." (Pediatrics August 2001 ( Volume 108, Number 2 ))

This response is a better safe than sorry one. I am over 18 and have been using creatine and Krealkalyn for about 2 yrs. with no adverse effects. As always, consult with your Doctor before taking any medications/supplements.

Hope this helps :P
kungfuninja
STARTING OUT

Post by kungfuninja »

thank you,

i think i'll stick with protein powder!
Brutus1
STARTING OUT

Post by Brutus1 »

A bit of advice on protein powder, make sure you are getting a good protein powder blend that has both whey and casein a great one that I have tried and really like is by Labrada ProV which contains a whopping 60g of five different high quality proteins including three different kinds of whey protein, plus egg albumin and casein.

Another good thing to look at is Krealkalyn which is a more stable form of creatine Elite-K by Elite delivery technologies. Does not convert into the toxin creatinine.

Again, you should check with your Doctor before starting any type of supplementation program. Good Luck with your fitness program
abbot
STARTING OUT

Post by abbot »

Well it is not the question of whether this supplement can be taken by those who are under the age of 18, what I want to say is what is the need for supplements at all? Those who want to lose weight can always do so with the help of natural products that are bountiful in the nature. Moroever any form of supplements are going to have side effects so there isnt any need to endanger the health with these. So try the natural way and see it will help a lot better than any so called supplements.
SarahPT
REGULAR

Post by SarahPT »

abbot wrote:Well it is not the question of whether this supplement can be taken by those who are under the age of 18, what I want to say is what is the need for supplements at all? Those who want to lose weight can always do so with the help of natural products that are bountiful in the nature. Moroever any form of supplements are going to have side effects so there isnt any need to endanger the health with these. So try the natural way and see it will help a lot better than any so called supplements.
Creatine is not typically used for for weight loss, but for muscle growth.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It is a debatable point. I've heard some say know, some say 5g's only after workouts, with no loading.

viewpoint would be, don't use it until you've developed a good natural muscle base.

I used it once, and got poor results, but when you've been training for about 12-18 months, and not developed enough additional power from your training improvements, the power increase will be rubbish, as was the case for me back then.

If you were a 200lb natural, you'd almost certainly get more power increase, than someone who's 150lbs because the 200lb guy should have developed more power, along with his strength increases.

So unless you've achieved good physical groundwork, I'd say don't bother. Your results power wise would probably not be worth the money.