supplements

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

jblake
STARTING OUT

supplements

Post by jblake »

Ok, well i'm new to this forum and i was reading up on good supplements to take. i've been told by a bunch of friends of mine that work out that if i want to get up in size it would be smart to get creatine (purple k if i got it) and whey, i was thinking maybe x mass as well to put some weight on. i'm 5'3 and i fluctuate weight between 110-115, i can currently bench 120 which isn't too bad i've been told for size. but i want to go up in weight to about 135-140lbs or so just not a fat gain, i want it muscle. would these supplements help me at all? if not what would work? i have been working out for the past 9 months or so and all i've used so far is whey but i only used it after working out, not getting crazy intake of it. i've lost quite a bit of fat and put on a bit of muscle as well. and i'm 18 as well if it matters at all.
jblake
STARTING OUT

Post by jblake »

and also i was wondering if anyone knew any good multivitamins or if they would help either?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Don't use supplements right now, certainly not Creatine. Also why go for 140, that's still too low. I'd be aiming for 160lbs at least. You don't have to go really solid lke 190-200lbs+, but you could go higher than 140.

Right now I'd suggest diet as primary focus, and leave the supplements for later on, until you've got the training and diet groundwork properly in place and sustained for a few months.
Last edited by Boss Man on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jblake
STARTING OUT

Post by jblake »

well, i have been eating a lot better since i started working out. i've dropped all the junk food no pop. and i've been just using regular protein to gain some muscle, i've been trying to eat a lot of lean meat as well to try to put some weight on but i can't seem to gain any weight at all, metabolism won't let me :P i workout every day, changing up ruitines, i usually do triceps, chest and back one day. then i'll do biceps, forearms, shoulders and traps the next day. and once in a while i'll do lower (don't usually focus on that) and i do abs every day to try to get the 6 pack that everyone wants :P i've been working out for about 9 months now, i've seen a lot of strength gain but really no weight gain. i started out with 15lb DB curls and now up up with 25s and 30s on a good day, and for bench i was at 75 and i'm up to 115-120 now, but i still haven't put really much size on or any weight either so i was thinking other supplements besides whey would do me some good like xmass and creatine, also does anyone know if purple k is actually any good? a bunch of friends use it and i read up on it for a little while cause i thought of getting it but i haven't decided yet. thanks for your help
jblake
STARTING OUT

Post by jblake »

and also for the weight, i don't know if i want to get up to 160 cause that would be a bit monstrous for body size. cause as i said i'm only 5'3 and don't think i'm going to get much taller by the looks of things :p that's why i was thinking 135-140 maybe up to 150 for max
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Screw Creatine. Unless you've got decent mass the results off it will almost certainly be pretty rubbish.
jblake
STARTING OUT

Post by jblake »

ok thank you for the input, and i also just wanted to get your opinion on quick mass or xmass or something along those lines to help gain some lean mass. and is there any multivitamins that you would reccommend? i hear that they're an important part of working out as well
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No they're not.

Most people can get enough Vitamins and Minerals in their diet without needing Multi-vits.

Two popular ones are Animal Pak and Centrum, but like all Multi-vits, you might be wise to find info about them on the net, that is unbiased and details possible problems, like digestibility, as some Multi-vits digest poorly.

Don't go for mass bulding products right now. You're not even a 140lb guy let alone a possible 160+. You just need to focus on training properly and eating properly.

Supplements are largely just that. They should, most if not all times, supplement your daily intake, not replace some of it.
lens_d
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by lens_d »

You can never go wrong with protein powder. Almost no one ever eats enough protein. Mass gainers are good if you can’t eat enough good way to get lots of calories into your system
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Most people only need around 1.2g Protein per lb. 1.5 max really. people who take 2.0g per lb, could be running the risk of things like Kidney Stones, or Gout, from the Nitrogen converting to Uric Acid.
lens_d
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by lens_d »

It’s the price you are willing to pay for the body you want I would say. That’s good info bossman. I aim for 1.5g per pound it's hard for me to eat 300g of protein a day with no shake. Even with one I hardly ever get that much.

A guy I work with is competing in nationals in Vancouver Canada in 2 weeks while he was bulking this fall he was making sure to get over 500g of protein a day. that’s intense he is a monster though. He got up to 280 early winter. He is coming into competition under 220 he looks shrink wrapped already. Guy is intense
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Clearly though he must be juicing too.

500g Protein a day is absurd. I have heard of people that get up and eat Tuna at 4 in the morning, just to get more Protein.

However there is a theory of mine, which goes, that GH release occurs for 2 hours during sleep. If someome woke up and ate Tuna, they might find having two seperate sleep periods, might yield double the GH, but it would depend which portion of the sleep state it occurs, and if a broken sleep pattern, would permit the sleeper to go there twice nightly.

If your man was ingesting enough water to whack his stores up enough, he could possibly flush enough Uric Acid out, to reduce Gout risk, but sadly probably not the Kidney Stones risk.

However a lot of people who get Gout are usually 50+. I theorise it's mainly down to old diets. Too much Tea, Coffee, fatty Meats, and added saturates to food, like Lard, Dripping, Ghee etc etc.

Those old British Transport Cafes, (roadside greasy spoons), must have been a haven for developing potential Gout sufferers.

I can't prove this, but I feel it is likely.
lens_d
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by lens_d »

would assume he is on the juice as well. The guy is a monster looks unhuman. He is also one of the plant managers so I never have brought up the subject with him. He is always calm cool and collected and has a very important job so it’s hard to say for sure. The man is absurd that’s for sure he is only like 5'5" and weighed in at 280 crazy big. to loose all that fat in 5 months down to under 220, Again absurd. wife was talking to him yesterday and he said his entire diet for a day consisted to 4 protein shakes 2 chicken breasts and 13 egg whites and that’s it for the day. A 60-90 min of cardio a day with a weight session daily. His muscle sure does look huge and his skin sure is tight. I wish him the best of luck in his comp he is a good guy.

If you want you can check out his last year contest at this address www.sabba.net/contestResults2008_2.html scroll to bottom page heavy weight champ and best overall Men’s. His name is Gary
Swizz77
STARTING OUT

Post by Swizz77 »

I eat tuna like it's job and whey protien from Wal-Mart. Creatine put mostly water weight on me when I was taking it; I deflated after discontinuing its use. Time and repetition will do more than any supplement.