New Here. Protein Shakes?

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

hwldknights
STARTING OUT

New Here. Protein Shakes?

Post by hwldknights »

Im 6'1 190. I was 210. I quit smoking and want to loose weight and get in shape.I'm using dumbbells and now I'm going to add cardio.I've also changed the way I eat.
I would like to add a protein shake to diet now.I purchased whey protein.It says serving size scoop(20.5g)I'm not sure how much to add,how many shakes to take,and when to take them.
Thanks for the help everyone!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not being rude, but you would have been better asking about this before you bought it, incase you didn't need one right now, because from what you said, it's still early days, and supplements should really assist, not form any of the basis of a solid regimen.

You have 3 main options.

1. After workouts; best.

2. Before bed; good.

3. half a scoop with Breakfast; acceptable.

I listed those in order of priority. You could do all 3, but most would do 1, some 1+2, some all three, depending on current diet structure.
Zhaga
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: New Here. Protein Shakes?

Post by Zhaga »

1) immediately upon waking, 30 grams in a shake made with a piece of fruit, plain sugar-free 1%yogurt, and 1%milk. (I include a bowl of sugar free whole grain cereal)

2) 20 grams about 15 minutes before working out

3) 30 grams within 15 minutes after working out (along with 25 grams of dextrose to spike your insulin which pushes the protein into your muscles, and puts glucose back into your muscles. dextrose IS glucose)

4) 30 grams mixed into a cup of 1% cottage cheese with a splash of milk just before bed (this last carb-free meal will help feed your muscles throughout the night. the fat in the cheese slows the digestion down.)

So this is about 110 grams of additional easy-to-consume protein. this form of protein gets into your system very quickly to be used to stop muscle breakdown and continue repair in the morning, and to repair muscle immediately after a workout (the most important time). Alot of protein? yea, well to build muscle, we need at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight each day.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: New Here. Protein Shakes?

Post by Boss Man »

You could however use a protein shake with something like matodextrin or waxy maize starch, as opposed to stacking it with liquid glucose or glucose powder.

main beef with fast digesting carbs in protein is that the spike the insulin back up, which is great as around 40% of protein becomes glycogen, but simple carbs don't help muscle glycogen like slow digesting high GI ones do.

The other issue is, if you used a slow digesting carb, it would take about as long as the protein to digest, unless you consumed casein after workouts, so therefore the insulin production after workouts would last longer and in opinion help use more protein.

You could even experiment with a carb free protein shake by adding crushed oats to it.