how long can protein last dissolved in water?

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

juan92
HIGH FLYER

how long can protein last dissolved in water?

Post by juan92 »

just wondering if i mix it up in the mornign how long will it last
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: how long can protein last dissolved in water?

Post by Boss Man »

Depnds I suppose.

Bottled ready to drink Protein shakes, normally have Stabilisers in, which should allow you a maintainable state for around 24 hours, before any form of degredation sets in.

Protein powders probably don't have these in the formulation, so expect a lower time span for stability almost certainly. How long I couldn't say, but I wouldn't risk anything more than 6 hours after mixing. You might not even get that long, but I'd assume compared to one with stabilisers in a bottle, 6 hours should touchwood, be at least as long as you can expect.

As a compariosn, Creatine takes about 5-15 minutes to convert to Creatinine, but Creatine from memory is a combination of 3 Amino Acids, so either

A: it would breakdown quicker, when it's not as long as a Protein strand and has less bonds.

B: the other Aminos in Proteins, provide more overall stability, thereby stunting the timeframe between mixing and initiation of degredation.

I would reckon either of those would be the reason, for better stability in a Protein to Creatine stability comparison.
lens_d
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: how long can protein last dissolved in water?

Post by lens_d »

6 hours would be pushing it. I say no more than 3. If you can keep it in a fridge It would last longer