Noobie question

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Wadelol
STARTING OUT

Noobie question

Post by Wadelol »

So I want to get fit but i need muscle but i also need to lose a little bit of fat (skinny fatish). I'm wondering what kind of workouts should i be doing? Should i be mixing cardio and strength training ect? Heres some pictures of body.. im very out of shape and cant even do a pushup but i do have natural back muscle and leg muscle. Curious if it would take awhile to get a six pack? Ps sorry for the dirty bathroom lol.

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Noobie question

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Wade, nice to talk to you and don't worry about the bathroom, it's hardly downtown Beirut at the weekend :tongue:.

You'd be better off trying to bulk, but with an emphasis on limiting fat gain.

1lb of extra muscle will burn another 45-50 calories per day, so you can actually bulk and cut up to a point, but obviously people going into the big natural Bodybuilder frame would struggle to manage both owing to their calorie intake.

I'd like to ask a couple of things.

1. What have you done already to change things in the way of training / working out?

2. What foods do you eat and what times do you eat them at?
Wadelol
STARTING OUT

Post by Wadelol »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Wade, nice to talk to you and don't worry about the bathroom, it's hardly downtown Beirut at the weekend :tongue:.

You'd be better off trying to bulk, but with an emphasis on limiting fat gain.

1lb of extra muscle will burn another 45-50 calories per day, so you can actually bulk and cut up to a point, but obviously people going into the big natural Bodybuilder frame would struggle to manage both owing to their calorie intake.

I'd like to ask a couple of things.

1. What have you done already to change things in the way of training / working out?

2. What foods do you eat and what times do you eat them at?
Hello! thanks for answering some of questions :)! To be honest i haven't worked out in years.. but i just started a few days ago with simple stuff like planking, girl push ups, ab exercises. I do 20 girl push ups (3 reps) and 3 reps of planking for 60 seconds. I dont have enough strength to do a real push up so hence the planking and girl pushups. I eat horribly actually.. lots of carbs (bread) and potatoes. As for me trying to change that.. i usually eat a orange for breakfast.. or some greek yogurt. Lunch time ill eat some veggies with a potato (lol i need to go shopping for some other food). And dinner time ill usually eat chicken and peas.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

In relation to what to use, go for the second smallest barbell on the squats and deadlifts and the smallest on bent over rows.

Use the second smallest dumbbells on bench press and lunges and the smallest ones on shrugs.

Then every 2 weeks increase the weight a little bit and then after around 6 weeks, you'll be ready to lift close to max lifting for reps, bearing in mind you don't need to do failure training, as it's not necessary and wastes more energy.

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.