Caffeine and exercise question for boss man

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Nutterlie22
STARTING OUT

Caffeine and exercise question for boss man

Post by Nutterlie22 »

:huh: hey B! I read a post where you said caffiene before training is bad as it thickens the plasma or something and other stuff oxygen consumption loads of points....well I used to drink loads of English tea as I'm English of course but I quit about 3 months ago and now have a cup of green tea in the morning when I get up usually about 5am train about 5.30 weights usually and then at work at about 10am I have a green tea and one more at 3.30pm I don't drink any other caffeinated drinks I hate cola btw lol.... Now I used to drink about 6-8 cups of STRONG English tea everyday. Now I really don't want to give up the green tea coz of the other health benefits. Can you advise please? Thanks hunny x
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Caffeine and exercise question for boss man

Post by Boss Man »

No I never said caffeine thickens the plasma to the best of recollection, so I'm not sure where you read that :?.

What I have said is caffeine blocks iron intake which could increase anemia risk, due to reduced red blood cell, (erythrocyte), production and also this would reduce myoglobin formation, a substance that helps to store oxygen in your muscles.

Caffeine constricts the blood vessels meaning slower oxygen circulation around the body and back to the heart, lungs and muscles and the brain, including the hypothalamus, the hormone centre of the brain that controls things like mood and sleep hormones and insulin, thyroid hormones etc.

ATP, a substance that helps muscles contract has oxygen molecules, and less oxygen would increase anaerobic respiration, a process that occurs when the body attempts to use muscle glycogen and break it down into energy by-products and instead of aerobic respiration you get lactic acid, (the burn) which is one product of Anaerobic respiration.

So caffeine is not useful for exercise in estimation.

If you want antioxident benefits you can get loads of antioxidents, as anything with vitamin a, (retinol a), vitamin c, (ascorbic acid), vitamin e, (tocopherols), contain antioxidents and legumes, fruits and vegetables and some grains contain flavanoids, as well as other things like resveratrol supplements, resveratrol being in grapes, or pycnogenol, pine bark extract, quercetin supplements and other antioxident supplements like buffered and non-buffered vitamin c, so without naming all sources, you have loads of ways to get antioxidents without needing caffeinated products, but if you must drink it, I'd limit to one cup a day, around 12 hours after a workout, as you're allowing plenty of time for the muscles to recover and oxygenate and you're not getting heart stimulation when you workout either, as you'll have 12 hours before another workout, so the caffeine effect should be well and truly subsided.

You don't need to develop an addiction to caffeine and you shouldn't need it to wake up, as that is an addictive response to it and it means it's in control of you, when it shouldn't be.
Nutterlie22
STARTING OUT

Post by Nutterlie22 »

Sorry Hun I just couldn't recall the bad bits of what you said and it was hard to understand it's just you' reads about caffiene supplements says caffeine improves performance etc which from what you say can hinder it and id rather know the facts coz mate, I've got a hel of a journey due to overcome illness and I want the best info for performance I can get. You now your stuff thats for sure apologies for miss quoting I trust what you say so please believe that x
Nutterlie22
STARTING OUT

Post by Nutterlie22 »

Sorry one more thing I'm doing bar weights tomorrow so no tea In the morning lemon n warm water yoghurt and a banana with milled flax seed for breakfast....... Sound good?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Sounds good and don't worry about misquoting me, there was no issue from part, so please don't apologise okay :).

I'd be interested to read something that say caffeine improves performance, but I don't believe personally, for stated reasons, it does.