Low Squat Form

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bgq
STARTING OUT

Low Squat Form

Post by bgq »

Hi,

I usually moves down a lot when doing squats. A friend told me that this is bad because it may hurt the knees. When I try to keep the thighs parallel to the floor, I found it a lot more difficult as I feel pushed to go more down because of the lifted weight.

I don't know. I have used to do the squats this way 2 years ego when I started lifting, and I have gained clear improvements without feeling any pain.

Is there anything wrong with going too low when doing squats?

Thanks for any replies.
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Re: Low Squat Form

Post by Fitafter50 »

If you can do it with good form, I don't think there is nothing wrong with going lower than parallel-to-the-floor thighs. You can probably use heavier weights if you only go to parallel, but if you aren't looking to break a PR, then stick with what feels good to you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi bgq, good to speak to you.

You will only be likely to hurt your knees on squats if you hyper-extend; so as long as your knees don't end up jutting out over your toes you won't have a problem, unless you try to squat with a preexisting knee problem, that good squatting form could still aggravate, like a patella tendon injury, or cruciate or collegiate ligament injury that has not fully healed, as examples.

Ninety degree squats are fine with the correct technique as outlined. Some say going lower than that is fine and some say it isn't. I never go below ninety degrees or I try not to, but you'll never get a perfect ninety every time you do a rep, but as long as you're aiming to hit between 80-90 degrees each time, then with good technique, no overload on the weight used and no preexisting condition(s), then your chances of knee problems in the short of long-term should be slight.
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

mmm, OKay
Thank you very much :)