Workout program, want to keep playing sports but need to do more

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

producer1122
STARTING OUT

Workout program, want to keep playing sports but need to do more

Post by producer1122 »

Hey everyone,

Below you will see approximate weekly workout plan. Full disclosure: I'm a dad with two kids desperately trying to maximize the time they are awake to be with them but also trying to drop some extra pounds, more importantly trying to drop fat % to less than 10 in a sustainable way.

I'm using MyFitnessPal to track calories/macros but I'm just not sure if I'm eating enough or underestimating metabolic levels. So you'll see info and baselines. I'm typically running 15 miles a week or so between soccer and workouts.

Started:
175lbs
5'9"
?? bf%
I'm down 7 lbs in about 2.5 weeks. Certainly down bf % but not sure as I haven't measured.
(doc said BMI was too high... not sure I trust BMI but am generally thin/slender... so not sure I'm the best candidate to complain)

Calorie numbers via MFP
Daily requirements for weightloss: 1620
Plus estimated workout burn: 2100+ (depending on day)
(I have a desk job but take walks several times a day to do calls/get in some extra steps)

Monday
5am workout (fasted)
*interval run (10 min mile base with intermittent sprints) 26 mins (350ish calories)
*Upperbody circuits (dumbbell bench press, lat pulldowns, incline press, bent over dumbbell rows, upright rows, dips, combo bicep curl into shoulder press (2-3 of these circuits w as little rest as possible... usually 20-25 minutes)

Tuesday
530am Soccer 1 hour (via fitbit, run 3-5 miles, burn 500-600 cals)
430pm Legs workout (25-35 mins)
*Stationary bike warmup (15 mins w increasing resisting)
*Circuits (leg extension, hamstring curl, hip sled, calf raises, lunge squats w weights, box jumps, abs, stationary bike for 5 mins)

Wednesday
5am workout (fasted)
*interval run (10 min mile base with intermittent sprints) 26 mins (350ish calories)
*Upperbody circuits (dumbbell bench press, lat pulldowns, incline press, bent over dumbbell rows, upright rows, dips, combo bicep curl into shoulder press (2-3 of these circuits w as little rest as possible... usually 20-25 minutes)

Thursday
530am Soccer 1 hour (via fitbit, run 3-5 miles, burn 500-600 cals)
430pm Legs workout (25-35 mins)
*Stationary bike warmup (15 mins w increasing resisting)
*Circuits (leg extension, hamstring curl, hip sled, calf raises, lunge squats w weights, box jumps, abs, stationary bike for 5 mins)

Friday evening 4pm

Sat & Sunday
Rest days... but always end up taking walks with kids, pulling wagons, doing yard work, running around playng soccer, reffing games for kids, etc. So definitely not low activity days, at least in comparison to days at work in front of a comp.

I'd love to hear feedback on any of this. I always feel hungry but also always seems to be barely staying right on calories. I try to do very moderated carbs, lean meats, green veggies, smoothies in the morning (milk base), and as much protein as I can squeeze in.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Workout program, want to keep playing sports but need to do more

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there producer, good to talk to you.

Where did the workouts come from, did a trainer give them to you; are they from a magazine or did you just work this stuff out yourself.

I'll comment on those at a later stage.

For now, I should say that a sedentary man needs around 2,000 calories a day and more on exercise days, but if you under-eat or you do too much calorie burn with barely sufficient calories you could cause something called a starvation mode, where the body hands onto fat.

The majority of weight loss thus far may well not be fat it could be water weight, if your diet was very salt rich before and now is not, as excess salt can cause water retention, so it may be a bit difficult to ascertain if most of the weight loss is fat, water or a bit of both, but after 4-5 weeks water loss should generally taper off to practically nothing, so then any losses in weight should hopefully be just fat and not other stuff like bone density and / or muscle, as losing muscle can be bad for the metabolism and be symptomatic of crash dieting.

Fasted cardio has been shown to sometimes promote an inability to finish workouts and also dizzy spells, as you're doing blood sugar lowering things when blood sugar is already low after a nights fasting, so I'd have something before you train and something to protect muscle mass as well, even if it's just some yoghurt or a couple of scrambled eggs, or a small quantity of peanuts as examples.

To lose 1lb of fat a week you need to cut 3,500 calories a week from your diet, which is 500 a day and for 2lbs it's 1,000 a day obviously, but then I feel if you aim for around 2,200-2400 approximately on workout days and any days when you're not training too much or doing stuff with the kids and are sedentary, aim for around 200-400 less than that, so you'd be having around 2,000-2,200

Protein is useful for muscle building which can in turn aid fat loss, but you don't need to go crazy, as you only need around 0.8-1.2g per lb and most people never exceed 1.5g per lb anyway, as too much can lead to kidney stones, as can too much red meat, so you'd be fine getting around 30-40% of your macro-nutrient intake from protein; you certain shouldn't need anymore than that.