Why Sometimes Exercising Goes Smoothly and Sometimes Poorly?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Why Sometimes Exercising Goes Smoothly and Sometimes Poorly?

Post by TechnicGeek »

I have noticed that sometimes in the morning, exercise that is usually 40-60 minutes goes pretty well. I almost don't feel fatigued, don't feel muscle pain and time flies fast. But there are days where I feel like rusty robot. I don't feel like exercising because there's some lack of energy, a feeling of laziness, a bit of muscle pain and time seems to flow slowly. Anyone feels like this sometimes and why?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Why Sometimes Exercising Goes Smoothly and Sometimes Poorly?

Post by Boss Man »

This could be down to a number of different factors.

1. Does the individual exercise on an empty stomach, affecting their energy levels or causing hunger pangs that affect mental focus?

2. Does the individual exercise after an inadequate amount of sleep?

3. Has the individual consumed enough water in the previous 24 hours?

4. Is the individual stressed?

5. Has the individual increased their levels of exercise recently and may be over-training?

6. is the individuals mind and body reacting to changes in temperature? I:E: do they feel more like working out when the room temperature is temperate, rather than 3-4 degrees above or below temperate?

7. Is the individuals diet too low carb, affecting their energy levels and mental focus?

8. Has the individual had a recent injury and are being put off by some mild or residual pain sensations, discomfort or stiffness, affecting their mental focus?

9. Does the individual have any personal concerns, affecting their mental focus?

10. Is the individual recovering from or starting to show signs of feeling unwell?

11. Is the individual surrounded by too much noise, loud unpleasant music, or some kind of unpleasant smells I:E: if they train in a facility that also serves food?

12. Is the individual training on their own when normally they have 1-2 workout partners?

13. Does the individual use therapies during the week I:E: qi gong, acupuncture etc, to supplement their training, but has not been able to go?

14. Does the individual use music to train, but their player is damaged or broken so they can't?

15. Has the individuals daily / weekly schedule changed, meaning they have to train at one or more irregular times?

16. Is the individual late for their training due to unavoidable factors? I:E: leaving work late.

17. Is the individual hung over or coming down off a high?

18. Has the individual been temporarily unwell? I:E: been sick due to overeating, or being exposed to one or more unpleasant smells, or visual experiences, but not as result of a viral or other sort of infection, or have they had a small bout of temporary diarrhoea relating to a meal eaten in the previous 24 hours?

19. Is the individual wearing any clothing / footwear that feels a bit tight, constrictive, painful or itchy?

20. Has the person being eating or drinking anything that might make them feel a bit gassy, or has caused them to pass too much oesophageal or wind?

There may be more but I can't think of any off hand at the moment.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Boss Man wrote:This could be down to a number of different factors.
That's a lot of factors. I have replied under each:
1. Does the individual exercise on an empty stomach, affecting their energy levels or causing hunger pangs that affect mental focus?
I do exercise in the morning on an empty stomach but I do not feel like eating when I wake up, let alone when I am in the middle of exercise.
2. Does the individual exercise after an inadequate amount of sleep?
Sometimes I do and I can't start day without exercising. I feel it helps me to get into the right mood and attain focus for mental work ahead.
3. Has the individual consumed enough water in the previous 24 hours?
If enough water is 1L per day then, the answer is no.
4. Is the individual stressed?
Yes, I feel a bit stressed and mood is down until after exercise. It then gets better.
5. Has the individual increased their levels of exercise recently and may be over-training?
Yes, I went crazy with over-training this summer.
6. is the individuals mind and body reacting to changes in temperature? I:E: do they feel more like working out when the room temperature is temperate, rather than 3-4 degrees above or below temperate?
3-4 degrees are not significant.
7. Is the individuals diet too low carb, affecting their energy levels and mental focus?
I try to consume as less of them as possible. diet is more dairy, various nuts and fruits like apples. I almost do not consume meat.
8. Has the individual had a recent injury and are being put off by some mild or residual pain sensations, discomfort or stiffness, affecting their mental focus?
No.
9. Does the individual have any personal concerns, affecting their mental focus?
No.
10. Is the individual recovering from or starting to show signs of feeling unwell?
No
11. Is the individual surrounded by too much noise, loud unpleasant music, or some kind of unpleasant smells I:E: if they train in a facility that also serves food?
No, but there is noise at night that affects sleep quality...
12. Is the individual training on their own when normally they have 1-2 workout partners?
Always on own.
13. Does the individual use therapies during the week I:E: qi gong, acupuncture etc, to supplement their training, but has not been able to go?
No
14. Does the individual use music to train, but their player is damaged or broken so they can't?
No
15. Has the individuals daily / weekly schedule changed, meaning they have to train at one or more irregular times?
No
16. Is the individual late for their training due to unavoidable factors? I:E: leaving work late.
Maybe waking up later than planned for exercising?
17. Is the individual hung over or coming down off a high?
No
18. Has the individual been temporarily unwell? I:E: been sick due to overeating, or being exposed to one or more unpleasant smells, or visual experiences, but not as result of a viral or other sort of infection, or have they had a small bout of temporary diarrhoea relating to a meal eaten in the previous 24 hours?
I tend to eat before going to bed. Does this count?
19. Is the individual wearing any clothing / footwear that feels a bit tight, constrictive, painful or itchy?
No
20. Has the person being eating or drinking anything that might make them feel a bit gassy, or has caused them to pass too much oesophageal or wind?
Like eating before bed and experiencing this when doing body weight exercises in the morning ? What I consume before bed is:

- 1 persimmon
- 3 apples
- 1 carrot
- dried peanuts
- walnuts
- sunflower seeds (sometimes)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I wouldn't worry about eating before bed, but your workouts could be affected by training on empty, so I'd have something to eat before you train even if it is just a yoghurt, or a protein shake or a banana or a small portion of nuts perhaps another options .
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

Thanks. Beside workouts, could stomach be affected too being empty? I heard how stomach is filled with acid which signals to body to get some food.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

When you say the stomach being affected by being empty, what are you relating that to?
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

I am relating to stomach acid negatively affecting stomach health in people who have gastritis.
rvn2590@yahoo.com
STARTING OUT

Post by rvn2590@yahoo.com »

It is quite normal to have days when exercise is a struggle and you just don't have it that day. Tomorrow is another day! Don't let the ups and downs of how you feel on a given day discourage you from maintaining your exercise program.
BT_Nolan
STARTING OUT

Post by BT_Nolan »

The main thing is not to get too down on yourself if your workout doesn't go as you'd hoped. "The more we exercise, the more we learn. We start to learn about what makes us tick psychologically, how much we can tolerate physically and what works and doesn't work based on how we feel it went," says Anthony Fletcher, founder of virtual running club Onetrack Club. "Recovery time between sessions is so important but also if you're training for something like a half marathon or full marathon there are going to be days when it's tough, and that's ok, as long as you bounce back from it."
This is th brand referred for martial arts outfit.
https://www.elitesports.com/
LisaSmith
STARTING OUT

Post by LisaSmith »

I have the same issue as you! sometimes workouts go really smoothy and sometimes I get pains that hinder performance. A little background, in particular case I suffered from an elbow injury a few years back. Because of this it can sometimes act up, causing pain that ends workout early.

Does this sound like your problem? I see that you mentioned fatigue as well as pain. Do you think this might be a factor?

I know in case I bought an elbow sleeve like these ones mentioned here https://healthygymhabits.com/equipment/ ... htlifting/. This was a game changer for me pain wise. Compression sleeves have really given me the extra support and increased the consistency of workouts. Whatever the case is for you there should be a product on the market to help you out. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know how your journey goes!