Amazon River Raft Race Training

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

lfhooper
STARTING OUT

Amazon River Raft Race Training

Post by lfhooper »

I am lucky enough to be taking part in the 2107 Amazon River raft race taking place in October.

The race is a 180km 3-day event paddling down the mighty Amazon in Peru.

Looking for some advice on workout routines to strengthen whichever parts of body I will be using for paddling.

normal weekly exercise mostly involves cycling, long hikes and recently weekly rock climbing and surfing.

Any advice much appreciated!

Luke
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Amazon River Raft Race Training

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Luke, good to talk to you.

Do you do any weight lifting currently and if not are you in a position to join a gym or purchase equipment for at home use, or would you just be looking to do body weight exercises?
lfhooper
STARTING OUT

Post by lfhooper »

Thanks for the response.

I haven't done any weight lifting before. As I'm still settling into living and working in a new country (Peru) I probably won't be in a position to join a gym for a while. And as I am only here until December I don't really want to invest in too much kit.

So yeah body weight exercises that can be done at home would be best for me
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well for the training you could do a schedule something like this using just body weight.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench Press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

After 4 weeks you could increase the number of sets to 3 per exercise, but increase planks by 5 seconds a week after week 1, until you're hitting 90 seconds on it, then maintain 90 seconds.