Keto diet question

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TeresaR
STARTING OUT

Keto diet question

Post by TeresaR »

Dear all,
I'm a 28-year-old female, and I would like to start with keto diet for the second time in life. Couple a years ago I was on keto, but results were not so impressive. I struggled with cravings, and I was nervous all the time. Looking back, I assume that I was consuming the insufficient amount of calories. In a nutshell, I was a total mess. After the whole keto fiasco, I started with carb rotation diet, and it was a total success. I never looked better in entire life. Now, I would like to give keto another try. Given all the facts, do you guys have any advice for me? How to calculate macros and nutrients according to height, weight, BMI, BFI? Is there any online tool that can help me do that? When it comes to recipes I'm covered this time.
Thank you in advance
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Keto diet question

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Teresa, good to talk to you.

To be honest I'd avoid the Ketogenic diet altogether. It basically is useful for a short while for people like pro stage age athletes, but in general it's a bit extreme and unnecessary as a regular thing.

You have said it gave you issues before compered to what you were doing after that that was working for you, so You'd be just as well sticking with what's working to be honest :).

This might not necessarily be quite what you imaged you'd read, but sometimes it's the simple way of looking at things and not some deep philosophical approach that yields the best realisation.
TeresaR
STARTING OUT

Post by TeresaR »

Thank you for your response :) It is probably the best idea to stop looking for short-term solutions and start making some long-term changes. :) Could you please recommend me some online tool, calculator, or whatever that can help me determine how many proteins I should consume, how many carbs, and so on. When I was on keto I was using keto calculator, but now, when this diet is no longer an option I think about switching to Fitness Pal. Is this stuff legit? Or should I invest some money and consult a nutritionist?
Kindest Regards,
Teresa
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In short, adult females need around 1,800 calories a day, but on days when you're accounting for exercise you could allow for another 200-400 calories.

As for protein, you only need around 0.8-1.2g per lb of bodyweight.

When working out calories, there''s 5 basic things you need to know.

Protein is 4 calories per gram except casein which is 8 calories per gram.

Carbs are 4 calories per gram except alcohol calories which are 7 calories per gram, hence why alcohol can be quite fattening, especially beers and anything with the word cream in the name.

Fats of any kind have 9 calories per gram.

In terms of macro-nutrient ratios you could go with one of these three.

1. 40% protein / 30% carbs / 30% fat.

2. 35% protein / 30% carbs / 35% fat

3. 33% protein / 33% carbs / 33% fat

Although there's no need to be too about monitoring calories, to the point where you count grains of rice with tweezers for example.
Rippedjym
STARTING OUT

Post by Rippedjym »

It depends . I do a modified Keto and take carb blockers and the carbs I consume are veggies . I think good carbs are okay but don’t go crazy.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I like the fact you call them good carbs in a way, as people just use the words carbs as if it only applies to high glycemic and some kinds of starchy ones and then start telling people to avoid them.

I even saw site once espousing people should not eat pasta as it turns to sugar and frankly all carbs are sugar and to knowledge most are converted to glucose and fructose after being consumed, so then you start to think some people might have a hidden agenda against certain foods anyway.

Frankly it's not about high glycemic this or that, it's about impact from glycemic load what quantities of food you eat what they are combined with and how much carbohydrate is lost to a cooking process.
Rippedjym
STARTING OUT

Post by Rippedjym »

To me it’s a life style change and If your hungry your not in Ketosis . The point of Ketosis is to use your own fat as Ketons. So you may be eating more than you can burn .