What are the benefits of magnesium in a supplement?

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

alessandramorris684
STARTING OUT

What are the benefits of magnesium in a supplement?

Post by alessandramorris684 »

Hi, I wanted to seek some help. Are Supplements with Magnesium Stearate Safe? Or any supplements with magnesium good for the body. need your thoughts on this. Thank you. :D :wave:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: What are the benefits of magnesium in a supplement?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Allessandra.

Magnesium Sterate if I recall correctly is a bulking agent, which means it is used in many supplements particularly tablet type supplements as a way of making supplement stables so they don't become crumbly or flaky.

It is also classed as a filler not an active ingredient, which means by law there does not have to be disclosure of it on any product packaging. This legislation is a bugbear of mine and irks me as it permits companies to avoid being more transparent if they want, when they could be.

I am not going into full thoughts on fillers right now, as that is not necessary to this discussion.

Magnesium Sterate shouldn't be of any concern to you however, as I am not aware of any known side effects from it, nor contraindications for it in relation to some types of medications.

I hope this information helps you.

P.S. as a heads up for next time, I removed your other post as double posting is seen as a bit disrespectful and can also lead to confusion for a poster and respondents.
alessandramorris684
STARTING OUT

Post by alessandramorris684 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Allessandra.

Magnesium Sterate if I recall correctly is a bulking agent, which means it is used in many supplements particularly tablet type supplements as a way of making supplement stables so they don't become crumbly or flaky.

It is also classed as a filler not an active ingredient, which means by law there does not have to be disclosure of it on any product packaging. This legislation is a bugbear of mine and irks me as it permits companies to avoid being more transparent if they want, when they could be.

I am not going into full thoughts on fillers right now, as that is not necessary to this discussion.

Magnesium Sterate shouldn't be of any concern to you however, as I am not aware of any known side effects from it, nor contraindications for it in relation to some types of medications.

I hope this information helps you.

P.S. as a heads up for next time, I removed your other post as double posting is seen as a bit disrespectful and can also lead to confusion for a poster and respondents.
What is the best type of magnesium can you recommend?
Thank you for the advise.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Any should be okay for you, although as I said Magnesium Sterate is a filler, whereas supplemental magnesium is an active ingredient and is meant to have health benefits.
ScarletG
STARTING OUT

Post by ScarletG »

I've been using magnesium http://www.ausnaturalcare.com.au/health ... um-is-best for a while now, and it really helps to relieve muscle pain.