Weight Loss Nutrition Help - How Many Calories?

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Mx3
STARTING OUT

Weight Loss Nutrition Help - How Many Calories?

Post by Mx3 »

I was hoping someone could help me work out how many calories I should be consuming per day for weight loss.

I'm waking up in the morning and doing an hours cardio 5-6 times a week. Not necessarily running flat out on the tread mill, but sometimes HIIT, jogging, or just walking. Then I do an hour of weights in the later afternoon 4-5 times a week. I work on a computer 6-7 days a week so lifestyle is very sedentary otherwise.

I did a BMI test and it suggested daily calorie intake should be 2815 kcals per day. I tracked a day or two of eating and really had to push to get past 1500 and up near 2000. I usually only eat twice a day. I've added protein powder in to help.

I plan to lose 10-15kg in total.

Results from the test are in image below

Thanks

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight Loss Nutrition Help - How Many Calories?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Mx3, good to speak to you.

I don't think you need as many calories as the testing shows and I don't know why they needed to list some of the caloric expenditure's relating to sport, such as Japanese fencing and gateball, as most people probably wouldn't do such things as a casual thing anyway.

I'm also not sure what that Inbody score is as I've never heard of that before.

Anyway, this is an eating system I have given other people before so hopefully it should help you as well.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.
Mx3
STARTING OUT

Post by Mx3 »

Hey, appreciate the eating system. Unfortunately I don't cook or shop any more. Everything is ordered. Luckily there are some healthy shops that deliver and not to expensive where I live. They even come with the total calories and macro break down. Can you recommend what calories I should be aiming for?

I'm in Asia so that's probably why those sport options are listed :funny:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd suggest your calories need only be around 2,200-2,500.

Why do you not cook or shop anymore?
Mx3
STARTING OUT

Post by Mx3 »

Thanks. Basically, I work from home & far too much. Anywhere up to 12 hours a day. I just don't have time and food is cheap here anyway. It's also good to get out and eat at different places and have a break from it all.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Here are some snack / main meal options that might work for you like microwave soups, baked beans and rice dishes, oat granola's, ham, turkey, beef, pork and chicken from a packet, low fat cheese, low sugar yoghurt, flax seeds, nuts, peanuts, fruits including tomatoes and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, pre-boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken breast and low fat yoghurt, nuts and peanuts, bread, sandwiches.

Some of those are actual snacks / meals and some you would combine to make a snack, but I'm sure you'll work out which are which :).
Mx3
STARTING OUT

Post by Mx3 »

Thanks for the tips again. I was able to hit 2100 cal's today. :clap:

Will keep aiming for this target and see how I feel in a couple of weeks.

CecilieT
STARTING OUT

Post by CecilieT »

Mx3 wrote:I was hoping someone could help me work out how many calories I should be consuming per day for weight loss.

I'm waking up in the morning and doing an hours cardio 5-6 times a week. Not necessarily running flat out on the tread mill, but sometimes HIIT, jogging, or just walking. Then I do an hour of weights in the later afternoon 4-5 times a week. I work on a computer 6-7 days a week so lifestyle is very sedentary otherwise.

I did a BMI test and it suggested daily calorie intake should be 2815 kcals per day. I tracked a day or two of eating and really had to push to get past 1500 and up near 2000. I usually only eat twice a day. I've added protein powder in to help.

I plan to lose 10-15kg in total.

Results from the test are in image below

Thanks
In basic you lose weight when eating less than your daily need of calories. So I think you are on your way to great improvements. I'm 174 cm high and weight 75 kilo. If I want to keep weight I should eat about 2.900 calories a day.

Looking forward to follow your progress :clap:
Saifullah
STARTING OUT

Post by Saifullah »

First it all depends upon how many calories you are consuming per day. Its really simple to calculate if currently you are taking 2000 calories than in order to lose weight you should take 1500 calories and when the water held in your body evaporates then you should add green vegetables and cut sugar, salt and oil from your diet. There is a myth that by exercise or doing some yoga can reduce your weight. But let me tell you without diet you can not lose your weight i know this is hard truth but i personally lose 25 kgs in 3 months before that i just hit the gym every day for 3 hours but couldn't find any results but when i follow the proper diet plan than body responded very fast.
Jaryprest
STARTING OUT

Post by Jaryprest »

If you are weight lifting as well as doing cardio I would loosen up on the cardio. Doing HIIT style training 3 times a week and then some more steady state cardio twice a week would be more than enough. Too much HIIT and your body will have a hard time recovering from lifting weights. When it comes to your calories and nutrition I would recommend eating around 2400 calories to start. You want to make sure that you are starting at the highest range of your calories to ensure you have calories in reserve to deplete if not losing weight, to ensure you do not damage your metabolism by eating like a bird, and to get adequate nutrition to be able to recover from your workouts. Keep in mind everyone is different when it comes to losing weight so with some trail and error and some help along the way you'll make it no problem.

P.S. The more consistent you stay with your diet and training the greater the results you will see. Think of it like the old greek story of Sisyphus pushing the boulder up hill. If you continue to push the boulder uphill you will reach the threshold and it will easily roll down the other side of the hill. If you push the boulder then stop it will roll back down the side you were pushing it up.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Niklas
STARTING OUT

Post by Niklas »

Hey man. :D

Research seem to suggests that the optimal way to set up the size of your caloric deficit is to base it after your body fat percentage. This seems to be because fat loss is inversely proportional to the level of leanness someone's at. Meaning that the leaner you get, the slower the deficit should be in order to maintain metabolism, hormonal balance, muscle mass and mood etc.

Now, one approach that I like to do is this one which has worked insanely well for myself, as I've completely transformed physique and am able to stay around 8-10 % bf year-round :thumb: .

Basically here's how it works:

1. Set up your deficit based on your body fat percentage

This is key

Why?

Research has shown that there’s a theoretical limit to how much fat that can be released from the body’s fat stores in a single day. Where any additional weight lost above this limit will be muscle mass, no matter how high the protein intake is.

And research has shown that this limit is inversely proportional to how lean we are, meaning that the leaner we get, the smaller the deficit must be to ensure muscle retention and to also feel well and healthy.

Here’s the rate of weight loss recommended per week based on BF %:

20%> --> ~1.1 kg (2.4 lbs)
15-20% --> ~0.9 kg (2 lbs)
12-15% --> 0.45-0.7 kg (1-1.5 lbs)
10-12% --> 0.45-0.6 kg (1-1.3 lbs)
8-10% --> 0.35-0.45 kg (0.75-1 lbs)
<8% --> 0.2-0.35 kg (0.45-0.75 lbs)

2. Slow down your rate of fat loss as you get leaner overtime using refeeds

This is an incredibly powerful strategy!

By taking 1 extra refeed day each time you reach a new body fat percentage bracket you get both positive mental benefits as well as some physiological one.

Here’s the amount of refeeds I recommend based on BF %:

20%> --> 0-1 refeeds
15-20% --> 1 refeed
12-15% --> 2 refeeds
10-12% --> 3 refeeds
8-10% --> 4 refeeds
<8% --> 5 refeeds

The power of this approach is that you will reduce your caloric deficit simply by taking one more refeed day at maintenance, close to your already existing one. Convenient and easy!

You will also maintain your metabolism, hormonal balance and top of glycogen more often throughout your cut, which will result in better training performance, well-being and health.

Have a great day! :)
Adampitt
STARTING OUT

Post by Adampitt »

Hey there its hard to tell how much calories you should eat. It depends on your metabolic rate. Do you gain weight fast or are you a hard gainer you just need to keep adjusting it