Training with dumbbells

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

geek84
STARTING OUT

Training with dumbbells

Post by geek84 »

Hi folks

I am a just reached 50 years of age and want to start exercising to gain strength and loose weight.

I haven't got access to any nearby gyms so was thinking of buying some dumbbells for improving arm strength etc. to use at home.

Could someone kindly recommend any reasonably priced dumbbells that I could purchase?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Training with dumbbells

Post by Boss Man »

Hi geek good to speak to you.

Instead of dumbbells could you be in a position to get yourself a free weight setup, so you could then have a long bar a couple of small ones, some free weight and perhaps a workout bench?

In the long-run this approach becomes more flexible, gives you easier storage of equipment and should come with a cheaper spend.
geek84
STARTING OUT

Post by geek84 »

Good morning
Many thanks for your reply. I don't have the space at home to have a free weight set up and that is the reason why I was thinking about dumbbells - they would take up far less space.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well they might if you were talking about 2 or 3 pairs, but with free weight the discs can just be piled up in small heaps in the corner of a room and the bars can be tucked under a bed, as I know from personal experience and you'd get more flexibility in how much weight you can use, otherwise you'll just plateau pretty quickly if you have 2-3 pairs of dumbbells.

A bench would not be an absolute necessity if you couldn't manage it, as you could do things for chest like standing military press as an example.
geek84
STARTING OUT

Post by geek84 »

Hi Boss man
many thanks for your reply. Could you kindly explain what you mean by plateau?
Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Plateau means when the muscles hit the buffers and can't get beyond a certain point, when the person has the physical potential to get stronger than that.

Hopefully that explains things.
geek84
STARTING OUT

Post by geek84 »

Many Thanks Boss Man