Weight Loss Help

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Weight Loss Help

Post by garethlello1979 »

I've had a few rough years and now things are settling down i want to lost 4 stone i'm currently 214lb and want to get down to 168lb. The first stone i would like to try and lose quite quickly these are current stats 214.2lb, 33.8% , waist 106.5cm and measurement round button 119cm.

initial thought is diet wise to drop down to an average of 2100 calories per day and start back at the gym predominantly power walking for an hour or so for the first couple of weeks then building up to jogging and basic weights. The rough diet will look as below:

Breakfast
Gluten Free Cereal
Coconut Milk

Snack
Cereal Bar

Lunch
Chicken
Sweetcorn
Crisps
Yoghurt
Mathesons Sausage
Mayo

Snack
Malt Loaf Bar
Apple
Grapes

Evening Meal
5% Mince
Brown Rice
Tinned Tomatoe
Peppers

Evening Meal 2
Steak
Rice & Veg

Post Wkout/Evening
Fruit Loaf
Ben_Smith
STARTING OUT

Re: Weight Loss Help

Post by Ben_Smith »

Hi garethlello1979, congrats on taking the first steps towards your weight loss goals! I always found this the most difficult part. When I started I was a whopping 224 pounds, just under two years later and I have just broken the 180-pound mark. transformation has truly given me life back and I hope it will with you as well.

I think you're correct to focus on your diet as much as possible. 2100 calories seems like a pretty attainable goal to start out with. I suggest you use a calorie tracking app so you can really hold yourself accountable when you feel like snacking :D

Also, I would maybe suggest you use a pre-workout and maybe even a fat burner supplement. I know when I first started I didn't have a lot of energy in the gym (this will change over time once you see results). Companies also offer 2-in-1 products which I am currently using myself. For example, you could probably get one from https://healthygymhabits.com/nutrition/ ... -workouts/ that best fits your needs.

Just briefly looking over your meal plan, are you expecting to have two dinners? I would suggest you limit your food intake in the evening and maybe even stop altogether around 8:00pm. This is because late-night snacking can cause the most weight gain.

This is just humble opinion but I hope it's given you some more information (and motivation) on your weight loss journey.
LisaSmith
STARTING OUT

Post by LisaSmith »

Ben_Smith wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:35 pm
I think you're correct to focus on your diet as much as possible. 2100 calorie seems like a pretty attainable goal to start out with. I suggest you use a calorie tracking app so you can really hold yourself accountable when you feel like snacking :D

Also, I would maybe suggest you use a pre-workout and maybe even a fat burner supplement. I know when I first started I didn't have a lot of energy in the gym (this will change over time once you see results). Companies also offer 2-in-1 products which I am currently using myself. For example, you could probably get one from https://healthygymhabits.com/nutrition/ ... -workouts/ that best fits your needs.

Just briefly looking over your meal plan, are you expecting to have two dinners? I would suggest you limit your food intake in the evening and maybe even stop altogether around 8:00pm. This is because late-night snacking can cause the most weight gain.
Awesome weight loss insight! goal is to lose about 20 pounds in the next 3 months, i'll definitely be looking into some of these strategy's you've mentioned above. I especially like the calorie tracking app idea, seems very useful.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

HELP! Calorie Controlled Diet Not Working

Well ive now just done stats and quite frankly im stumped!

I have been logging everything on fitness pal to control calorie intake and current stats do not add up. In the last 6 weeks total calorie intake has averaged at 2130 per day yes some days above but most below and that is the daily average of 6 weeks.

Bearing in mind i have no gym membership currently and have only been walking 4 or 5 times weight has increased by 1.5lb waist has reduced to 99.5cm which is just over 2 inches and measurement round the button the biggest park has reduced by 1cm.

After 6 weeks averaging that few calories i would have expected in the last 6 weeks to have lost a good half stone even without exercise so im gutted and have really become quite disheartened to be honest.

normal breakfast is a cereal bar and then couple of hours later 2 pieces of fruit load toasted. Then lunch is now pack ryvita 4 biscuits with lightest cheese spread followed by crisps and a health yoghurt. Afternoon snack has been options hot chocolate with a malt loaf bar. The evening something like 5% mince with mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes and a snack in the evening.

Admittedly i weight and measured myself this evening at 11pm when u normally are at your heaviest and biggest but even weighing in first thing in the morning isnt going to make half a stone difference so can anyone give any suggestions as to whats going wrong restricting calories isnt having an effect!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Looks to me like you have somehow gained muscle, because your weight has gone up a little bit, but the waist measurement has gone down so logically you must be gettting slimmer, if the waist mesurement has gone down.
garethlello1979
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

I would say on that i have been doing no gym work or exercising apart from a walk in the countryside once a week and for size and build it still leaves me at least 2 stone over weight as im 5ft8 and now 215lb.

As a fail safe i weighed myself first thing before i started eating etc and was 211lb so 3lb lighter overall.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You are losing some weight then, so I would persist with what you're doing for now and see how that pans out over the next 4-6 weeks.
Makeetelich92
STARTING OUT

Post by Makeetelich92 »

I think the best advice instead of "getting used to feeling hungry" would be to learn the difference between hunger and cravings. Being hungry means your body needs energy. Cravings mean you want to eat food just because it is tasty but you don't really need it. If at the end of the day you feel pizza hungry you're not hungry, you're craving
BitGid
STARTING OUT

Post by BitGid »

I think a lot of people go into dieting with a mentality of “I’m going to diet constantly until I hit goal weight” and either end up stopping along the way or putting the weight back on within a year or two of reaching their goal (by the way here good goal template) What I have found that helped me was stopping diet every 3-4 weeks and having a period just trying to maintain that particular weight before I start up again on diet. It has helped me keep things under control and it’s nice to have a little break from a diet every once in awhile.