Is It Worth It To Implement A Drink Day?

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

DrBong
STARTING OUT

Is It Worth It To Implement A Drink Day?

Post by DrBong »

I currently do an Upper/Lower exercise routine (with a rest day each third day) but I'm currently considering making that rest day into a 'drink-day' as I've heard a few people in area do where the full day you drink as much alcohol as possible to bulk up on calories and get some protein. Just wondering which alcohols provide the most content in terms of calories and protein content and if perhaps there are other potentially better ways of bulking. I'm fairly resistant to being drunk so that is of little threat (and this will increase fitness regardless). Thanks for your help :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Is It Worth It To Implement A Drink Day?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi DrBong, nice to speak to you.

Drinking alcohol to bulk up is a bad idea, there's no need to do it.

If you need more protein you could if you're doing it already, use a protein powder after workouts and avoid the expensive ones with loads of ingredients, just stick to the simple ones with 4-6 ingredients.

If you don't already you could consider having a whey shake before bed, or alternatively have a casein protein shake before bed, as casein has 8 calories for every gram of protein, so you'd get around 6 hours of anti-catabolic action from it rather than 3, but it can cause a small amount of people a bit of bloating and if the taste is a bit funny, you can alter it with things like mocha powder, honey, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla essence.

Otherwise increase your calories by around 50 calories per meal, so you're looking at around 5 grams protein, 5 grams carbs, 1 gram of fat, which is 49 calories, so 50 more calories per meal shouldn't be too difficult to sort out.

Alternatively you can implement the calorie and shake strategies in conjunction, but alcohol is fattening. Alcohol has 7 calories per grams, whereas all other carbs have 5 calories per gram, so using alcohol to bulk up is not a great strategy.
DrBong
STARTING OUT

Re: Is It Worth It To Implement A Drink Day?

Post by DrBong »

Cheers, I might examine the possible of just doing some short intense cardio training or even some parkour as a few I know do to just train speed/general athleticism (someone even joked about calling it gravity day).