Woman's personal health question: side effects of protein?

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bloodandsweat
STARTING OUT

Woman's personal health question: side effects of protein?

Post by Bloodandsweat »

SO, to try and get myself to a level of adequate nutrition, I've been drinking store brand chocolate milkshake protein drinks. They're in the refrigerated section, 20- 30 grams of protein in each. I've been drinking them three times a week about for a month now, and I've had a personal health thing start in that time frame as well.

I got TOM the second week of January, no problem. Started drinking them the week after. Two weeks after TOM, got a second full blown TOM. Another two weeks gone by, and I'm spotting daily.

Does this sound like a correlated thing to anyone? No one I've talked to IRL seems to think it's related, and dad lost his job so until our health plan gets re-evaluated, I can't go to the doctor.

Any response would be appreciated.
chriscandothis
REGULAR

Re: Woman's personal health question: side effects of protein?

Post by chriscandothis »

Hey Bloodandsweat,
I do not know of any such side effects. When I am weight training I generally have a protein drink. I have not had any such problems. To be sure you could stop drinking the protein drinks. Sounds like you should see a doctor and see what is going on.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Bloodandsweat, nice to talk to you.

Many protein drinks contain a modicum of casein protein content which can sometimes promote bloating in people.

There may be something else in the that might caused this issue as well, assuming the product did it.

One way would be to discontinue the products use and see what happens, then after a few days try the product again. If the symptoms flare up again it's likely the product and not some other unrelated / coincidental reason.

However to look at it another way, were the TOM to have occurred two weeks after the last, it would indicate that possibly the product wasn't the cause because otherwise the product could have triggered off the issue within 24-48 hours.

If discontinuing the product doesn't begin to alleviate the symptoms within 72 hours, consider a doctors appointment.
Makeetelich92
STARTING OUT

Post by Makeetelich92 »

I’ve struggled with acne for years now. I also work out, but never had heard of the possibility of a link between whey protein and acne. I do consume a substantial amount of dairy in diet, and it’s probably unrealistic for me to say I’ll be able to cut that out. nature's blend melatonin 3mg