Stuck and struggling at 255lbs

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bad Gaskets
STARTING OUT

Stuck and struggling at 255lbs

Post by Bad Gaskets »

Ok folks. I'm 44 and made significant changes in the past 1.5 years to diet and activity. I'm 5'7" and have gone from 296 to 255lbs. Pant size Dropped from 48s to 44s and shirts from 2xl to Xl.

Most of exercise has been strength training and I've gained very noticeable amounts of muscle, so I expect scale numbers to not drop as quickly as they might if I'm doing only cardio and calorie deficit.

I'm THRILLED at the muscle gain but I haven't dropped a pant size in 4 months. I feel totally stuck even though I know technically I'm still making progress.

I seem to be adding muscle weight at about the same rate I'm losing fat. Which is, at best, 1/4 lb per week or less. Probably more like 1/8.

I've tried cutting calories (using calorie tracking apps) which have helped a little, and tried reducing the weightlifting and doing more cardio (walking 3-8 miles twice a week or doing 30min on stair stepper 2x week).

result is just getting burned out doing that.

macros usually are roughly 33/33/33% of fat, carb, protein. I eat a LOT of fresh veggies daily, and I try to shy away from processed meats.

blood work is excellent. Cholesterol, A1C, Glucose, etc are all in spec and blood pressure is usually upper 120s/80s.

Sleep is consistent 7-8 hours nightly

Any advice on how to tip the scales a little in favor of fat loss without risking this lovely muscle I've gained.... Without burning myself out?
Bad Gaskets
STARTING OUT

Re: Stuck and struggling at 255lbs

Post by Bad Gaskets »

Also, why is the word "M Y" being censored out?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Stuck and struggling at 255lbs

Post by Boss Man »

Hi BG, good to speak to you.

Firstly the word would have been censored, because of previous posts containing content that was illegal and such censoring was done to prevent repeat behaviour(s).

As for what you originally posted, what you could do is alter the ratios of your macros, so that you could have 35%/30%/35% protein/carbs/fats.

Reducing strength training is fine if someone is overdoing it, but if they reduce too much and cause atrophy, that could be counterprouctive, as 1lb of added muscle burns around 45-50 extra calories, so conversely the oppositive effect would occur with atrophy.

I feel the added cardio isn't necessary as it could contribute to muscle atrophy, so keeping it as it was and keeping the strength training as it was could work.

Then just tweak the macros and see how you get on.