how long does sunscreen last?

Discuss skin, hair and nails here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ChoYongGi
SOCIAL CLIMBER

how long does sunscreen last?

Post by ChoYongGi »

i have high school which starts from 9:13-4. i put sunscreen on everyday SPF 50 and i was wondering how long it would last. 2 3 4 hours? and i was wondering if there was a sunscreen that stays on for 24 horus or something like that
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I don't think there is one that lasts for 24 hours, but the fact is some sunscreens last for a short space of time, so the Sun Protection Factor is good but limited in duration, and you may need to apply it 2-3 times a day.

There might be some kind of consumer organisation or website, that does indpendant testing, that might be able to give you specific statistics for many well known brands, but I don't really know what else to say.
ChoYongGi
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by ChoYongGi »

oh i see okay thx for the info boss man
FreeWeight19
STARTING OUT

Re: how long does sunscreen last?

Post by FreeWeight19 »

ChoYongGi wrote:i have high school which starts from 9:13-4. i put sunscreen on everyday SPF 50 and i was wondering how long it would last. 2 3 4 hours? and i was wondering if there was a sunscreen that stays on for 24 horus or something like that
I know sunscreen last 2 or 3 multiply the spf. so if it's 50 multiply by 2 or 3, that's how long it could stay...:)
byugirl0589
STARTING OUT

Post by byugirl0589 »

I heard the protection doesn't go up after SPF 15, so you just hafta keep applying. Good luck!
lizagill
STARTING OUT

Post by lizagill »

Hey thanks for sharing..It helped me too..
LeanaJo
STARTING OUT

Post by LeanaJo »

You should reapply sunscreen about 3 times a day, if you are staying outside all day, that is. About every 2-3 hours is a good idea.

And always wear something over SPF 30 or more. If you have a habit of staying outside more than 3-4 hours, it's wise to go up to SPF 50 or more for even better protection.