Opinions on Fat Burners

A forum for anything related to nutritional supplementation including advice and reviews.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kjweller
STARTING OUT

Opinions on Fat Burners

Post by kjweller »

I have often wondered about fat burners. It seems that most people that train and do take them want to kind of hide it. I have tried a few different kinds and would not say that they are a huge asset to weight loss. Some do give a noticeable engergy boost but, it's pretty short lived. husband and I both believe that it is purely a mind game because we both continue to take them out of fear of what will happen if we don't. Does anyone else out there take fat burners and what are your suggestions and opinions about them?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Opinions on Fat Burners

Post by Boss Man »

Simple facts, about metabolic enhancers, (Fat Burners, Thermogenic Serums, Appetite Suppressants).

1. Herbal ones do little to nothing. Many mask inadequacies in training and / or diet, that will cause some weight gain, after discontinuation of product.

2. Chemical ones, could possibly lead to Thyroid damage / disease.

As a side note, find the evidence on Medicinenet and other places, about Hydroxycut. That stuff killed people, and it wasn't necessarily because of misuse.

The caveat was always there, the moment somebody made and marketed one for the first time. Play devils advocate with the Thyroid and Metabolic functions, and sooner or later, some people would start to suffer the consequences for their actions. Doesn't have to be related to underage use, misuse, or undiagnosed Heart problems.

The main problem with this is, you will get organisations like the FDA, glossing over it to some extent, and using Hydroxycut as a scapegoat, which misses the bigger picture, because other things like Hoodia, Lipovarin 7, Aromasts, Thermoslim etc etc are all potential risks too.

You can read more on this stuff. Find the internet entries about the BBC Journalist that ate Hoodia, then after a 6PM meal, didn't eat again until 1PM the next day, and had to literally force that meal down. So after about 3 hours after that meal, when most of it would have been digested, he then didn't eat anything again for 16 hours, which was a struggle, not something he did with a sense of joy or pleasure.

That in itself proves Hoodia is a bad substance potentially. The irony being that it only grows in the Kalahari, where barring some San Bushmen, the rest of civilisation almost never goes and don't live in. Maybe nature is trying to tell us, it's lack of abundance is a sign we aren't meant to have it, because it's not a plant that enjoys bountiful growth.

Metabolic Enhancers could potentially be a rip off, or worst case, possibly cause you irreperable internal damage, or maybe even death.

The simple answer is avoid.

On a side note, I was consulted about the Shapefit Assist product, about the time it was being promoted on shapefit. Apart from reccomendations, about listing all Caffeine sources in the ingredients list, which was incepted, Admin knows thoughts about such a product, as I was honest with him about that.

Had the idea been put past me before the product was incepted, I would have advised against it, as the site could have had, a "we don't promote potentially unhealthy products" attitude, which it doesn't now.

I certainly wouldn't forsake this site, or suggest anyone else did either, because of this one thing. supplement politics is just that, I wasn't always as willing to post this kind of rhetoric here in the past, but feel more willing these days, so I will.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Good point, because they can stimulate the Heart potentially.
SSALVAS
STARTING OUT

Post by SSALVAS »

I have just started to take Optimumhealth Sida Cordifolia.

Each capsule has:
Sida cordifolia: 180 mg
Bitter orange 139 mg
Caffeine 135 mg
L-Carnitine 15 mg
White Willow Bark 15mg

2 capsules in the morning.

I think they are metabolism boosters, but I am not sure.

Do you think that it is dangerous? Or since it is standardised herbal extract, it's OK.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Caffine aint worht cack. The Carnitine is a Fat Burning product in there, but as for the other things, maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure. Did you check out the product before buying it and if so what did you do?
SSALVAS
STARTING OUT

Post by SSALVAS »

Sorry, I didn't understand what did you said about caffeine. Caffeine ain't worth .... . Sorry for English
I only checked it out reading the reviews in the website where I bought it (I think I can't say the name here). Most of them were positives,and as I don't have the proper knowledge, I trusted in those reviews. Maybe I have been fooled.

Today I went to the gym to run for 40 minutes because I was worried about the 2 pills I took. I feel like if I didn't workout after, it would be worse.

So do you recommend me to stop it? Maybe only 2 months taking it is not dangerous and could help me to burn fat?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

By aint worth cack, I meant diddly squat.

As for website sales reviews, never trust them at all. Any site selling you something is potentially not going to be completely honest about side effects, except obvious and likely ones, like increased risk of Heart attacks, misscarriages etc etc

Basically I recoommened you google thw White Willow Bark and Sida Cordifolia and see what sites you can fine, that tell you about them, without havign a sales angle. You'll find some.

I'm betting the product won't necessary cause sides, but could be a damp squib, so with supplements, always do your research and use sites with independant reviews fron non-sponsored bodybuilders / powerlifters, independant scientists, or sites that don't sell, so won't see a need to potentially cover up anomlies.
SSALVAS
STARTING OUT

Post by SSALVAS »

OK, I will research more info.

In the meantime, I will give it a go then.

Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Personally I'd do the research before taking it. If you get any sort of side effect from taking it, it won't be any good then, when you've not given yourself adequate research time.

Better to be safe then sorry.