out of shape preparing for a 5K?

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

FiveKFatty
STARTING OUT

out of shape preparing for a 5K?

Post by FiveKFatty »

Every year company participates in the race for the cure. I've always thought "wow, it'd be so cool if I could do that - but I'm too fat." Well, this year, I have been roped into ACTUALLY doing it. The truth is, I didn't put up that much argument, but now that I have signed up, I'm scared to death! It's a run/walk and I know you can walk at your own pace - but I don't think they expect to have to wait until the next day. haha
I know I'm not going to turn into a runner overnight. I'm not looking for a miracle overnight and I understand that true fitness is a lifetime commitment.
That said, its been over 6 months since I've been to the gym and I am seriously out of shape and overweight. I don't have any health issues to prevent me from working out.
I was just wondering if anyone could share some basic tips. I just want to make it to the end without passing out completely. I have about a month & a half to prepare.
Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Even stuff that may seem basic to you guys. I mean, I don't even know if/what to eat and drink that morning!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: out of shape preparing for a 5K?

Post by Boss Man »

Try something like this.

Week 1. Walk for 2 minutes 50 seconds, jog for 10 seconds. Do this 6 times a week. If you can only manage 5 times, do 3 days, 1 off, 2 days, 1 off, so no 5 days straight, 2 off, eating into progress.

This is a cycle.

Do 10 x 3 minute walk / jog cycles, so you're doing 30 minutes in total.

Week 2. Walk for 2 minutes 40 seconds, jog for 20 seconds.

Week 3. Walk for 2 minutes 30 seconds, jog for 30 seconds.

See a pattern emerging?

Hopefully you might have enough time to get to the point where 30 minutes straight jogging is achievable.

Good luck :).
FiveKFatty
STARTING OUT

Post by FiveKFatty »

Thank you!
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I am much the same as you, except I'd been doing a fitness boot camp 3 times a week and walking the other days for about 3 months when I started training for first 5k (which took place 2 weeks ago.) I'd been able to run a mile non-stop about a month before and had originally been planning on walking the 5k, but decided about 2 weeks before it that I would try to run part of it, so I started just adding more running to workouts and eventually found myself able to run almost 2 miles non-stop. I tried to view it as a 'no pressure' sort of training run. And it was. I took the stress off of myself and ended up running the whole thing, (save for one challenging hill that I had to walk for a few seconds to catch breath)...and got a time around 36 minutes. (It wasn't a timed race, so I timed myself with a chronometer on Iphone.)

I just did second 5k yesterday and ended up with a crap time of 41:01, but taking into account that the run was at 5 p.m. in 80 degree weather with little to no wind, and hills throughout the course, it's no wonder. I managed 13.5 minute miles, but had to stop and walk several times. friend who also ran it (and normally does half-marathons) said that even she was tempted to stop and walk. So don't be too hard on yourself! At least we are moving and doing more than we were before!

I have another 5k at the end of the month and I'm really trying to train hard to run all of it. It should be an easier race than the one yesterday since it starts at 8:30 in the morning and is generally better organized.

Some tips for running a 5k that I've picked up with extremely limited experience:
- Don't eat a big meal before your race. Trying to run on a full stomach is torture. I recommend a protein bar and perhaps a piece of fruit.
- Drink at least 20 oz. more water than you normally would in the hours before your race.
- Try to pick out someone in the crowd who you think is at the same fitness level with you and try to keep pace with them throughout.
- Scope out the water stops ahead of time and see how well -they are so you can know the fastest way to pickup- or if you need to run with your own water bottle. (I should have run with own water bottle yesterday because the water stops were a joke. Three people trying to hand out water to 10 runners or more at once! And one of the cups I got handed literally had about 2 oz. of water in it.)
- Warm-up is extremely important. (I walked about a mile to warm up before both races and that seemed to be sufficient). Stretching/cooling down afterward is equally important. You will be way more sore if you don't properly cool down and stretch.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Don't call your tipe crap Jen :). You should be so proud of yourself. I wouldn't consider what you tried, because with training, doing that as well wouldn't suit me, but I can admire someone who does do what you did and you've earned the pride that comes from doing it and not giving in.

Great job misses so keep it up and GOOD LUCK with the next one yeah :).