Food For Kids

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Athene
REGULAR

Re: Food For Kids

Post by Athene »

What a great tool to have!

North American kids, like adults, are really eating more soy, corn, and wheat than they ever have, in excessive quantities, which we know is leading to a new host of health problems including obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.

I've found that one of the main issues with feeding families on a budget is the relatively high cost of quality protein and carbohydrates like meat, vegetables, and fruit compared to the relatively low cost of soy, corn, and wheat products, which are nutritionally bereft in comparison.
jacal1
STARTING OUT

Post by jacal1 »

Great post - very helpful! I would add that kids don't get nearly enough Omega 3 in their diet, since many kids don;t like fish (especially dark fish) and other sources of these - and they do a lot of good in children and adults as well. There are chewies that have omega 3s in them - choose carefully because some don;t taste very good.
malandi87
STARTING OUT

Post by malandi87 »

Thank you very much boss man. I hope two children would love this foods. This will be their new diet routine from now onwards. :D
AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

This is what many of family members need. family has a healthcare background and you'd think they would eat healthier, but culture has a lot to do with it too... When I was growing up I had to eat everything on plate, even when I was so full! parents pressured me to eat at a guest's house because it was a sign of rudeness to deny their food (what?!). Eating was a way to bond with family members and friends. If you weren't eating, you weren't bonding. I didn't start eating healthy until I learned about nutrition and preventive medicine during master of public health program. That hit me hard. Broccoli has protein! What?! When I was in high school, I knew about burning more calories than you eat, but didn't pay attention to whether I was getting enough vitamins. I took vitamins everyday, but getting nutrients directly from foods is much better.

When I was visiting family on the West coast, one of little cousins asked aunt, "Why am I so fat?!?!" aunt and uncle have ridiculously high metabolisms, and cousin, having an average metabolism (and a diet full of white rice, sugary treats, and fried foods) is rather chubby. I don't get to speak to cousin as much as I should about healthy eating habits, but I'm hoping facebook and IG pictures of healthy food subconsciously influences him to make better choices.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Broccoli does have Protein 'tis true, but I think it's it's only about 1.5g for a big stalk, so it's a ratio of 1.5g Protein to 40g Carbs.
MitchSalis
STARTING OUT

Post by MitchSalis »

This is a great article. It is also best to introduce kids to healthy eating at a young age. :D
dwayneg
STARTING OUT

Post by dwayneg »

HUGE! Great site. We need to see more education for the youth. It is the only thing that will ever create a real shift away from the health epidemic we see on the rise today. Thanks Boss Man.
Trish0102
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Trish0102 »

This is perfect for kids. As early as now, I want them to be informed on what they should and should not be eating. Thanks a lot for this.
allenmarshall
STARTING OUT

Post by allenmarshall »

Basically parents are worried about their kids diet; as kids are suffering from eating disorders. Food that taste delicious for their mouth they used to eat it otherwise they behave strange. I hope every new mother should learn some beneficial points from here to develop their knowledge on choosing right foods for their kids.
philmont
STARTING OUT

Post by philmont »

in consideration of all these negative commercials, you have to show your kids whats really "cool" and "fun" to eat...Its parents vs McDonalds somehow...^^

http://www.statista.com/chart/1627/fast ... vertising/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
networkmom
STARTING OUT

Post by networkmom »

I would like to use this article to give away to subscribers at http://www.fitnessandkids.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is this ok?

Thank you
Denise
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'll send you a private message about this at some point.
clutchkick22
STARTING OUT

Post by clutchkick22 »

I've recently changed eating habits a lot in trying to eat more meals of less size so I snack a lot now. I went around looking for a lot of different healthy snacks and have a found a good amount that also sport different tags like "non-GMO", Vegan, etc. I think it's definitely important to feed your kids the right types of snacks and not get them hooked on fatty chips.
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

It is very important to know about what is the goor and nutritious food for kids.Almost kids hate green vegetables but make some fun in the kithen and to make tasty and healthy foo for kids like juice,green vegetables,dry fruits.These all things are very helpful for the growth of kids.
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

We have to care about kids food.That should be full of protein,vitamins,carbohydrates, and water.Try to make all vegetables delicious for kids. so, kids like to eat it .........