The Boss Man Method

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

The Boss Man Method

Post by Boss Man »

This is take on all the diets out there. As you know I sometimes give diet plans to people. Usually the same one with modifications sometimes, but this is another way of doing it.

This one uses guidelines and a bullet point system, to manage what you eat. It may look a little bit tricky to get used to and hopefully I've covered all the bases, but once mastered, I'm confident you'll get used to it. Easier than learning a new language anyway :wink:.

Enjoy :).

The Boss Man Method

A: 6 meals a day. Caloric intake for females 2,000-2,200. Males 2,300-2,500

B: Meal portions. 350 calories approx for females. 400 approx for men. Both with a ballpark discrepancy of 30 calories either way.

C: Calorie ratios 30% Protein, 40% Carbs, 30% Fats.

D: Protein intake. All Flesh intake, upto 50% Red, the rest being White. Eggs, Mushrooms Legumes and Fish / Shellfish ignore this rule.

E: Carbs 60% fibre, 40% sugar.

F: Saturated Fats, normally 20% of daily total, but limit to around 10-15%, so any overshoots may avoid excessive consumption.

G: Salt. 3-4g a day of the 6g GDA.

Weekly Food Portions

H: Dairy, 1 portion of low or non-fat a day.

I: Eggs, Fish / Shellfish, Legumes, Meat, Mushrooms and Poultry. 1 or more of those 4 with every meal. In the case of Fish / Shellfish and due to metal content, limit to 100g, 3 x a week, 2x 50g portions a day, 3 x a week, or 50g, 6 x a week.

J: Fruits, (Excluding "Savoury Fruits" like Tomatos, Peppers, Aubergine, (Eggplant), Cucumber and Marrow), 1 portion in any or all of the first 3 meals, adhering within Sugar guidelines and Carb calorie ratios where necessary.

K: High GI foods, Bread, Parsnips, Pasta, Rice, (excluding Whole-grains), 1 portion a day, making up to 25-50% of the Carb portion, the rest being mainly things like Dairy, Fungi, Legume, "Savoury Fruit" and Vegetable Carbs.

L: Nuts, Peanuts and Seeds, 1-2 portions a day, comprising 50-100% of Fat intake per portion.

M: Whole-grains. 1 portion a day.

Sundry food intake

N: Herbs and Spices, upto 6 portions a day, 1 portion per meal. Upto 50 grams for Herbs and / or 1 level teaspoon for spices.

Weekly Liquid Intake

O: Caffeine free Tea, (NOT decaffeinated), Cordial, Juice and Water, 4 glasses / cups a day, of one or more of those 4.

P: Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Cows Milk, Goats Milk, Rice Milk, Soy Milk. upto 2 portions a day, adhering within Sugar guidelines and Carb calorie ratios accordingly.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: The Boss Man Method

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Very helpful boss. :)

Why just 1 whole grain a day? isint' it good for your cholsterol and full of fiber?

the outline is definitely helpful though. thanks! :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The whole-grain thing was in response to not elevating bloodsugar too much and overcarbing potentially.

This measure could be useful to help diabetics plan as well.

Fibre can be achieved with things like Legumes and Veggies and Cholesterol can be maintained also through things like Fatty Acid, low saturate intake and plant sterol consumption.
bodyburner
STARTING OUT

Post by bodyburner »

Hi Boss Man,

Can you please tell me why you prefer a six course meal? Last day I was reading on a guy saying he prefer 2-3 course meal and he suggests its the amount of calories you consume in a day that really counts:

" I too have tried the 5 to 6 meals per day thing, but after looking into the science behind it recently I realized that there wasn’t much science to back it up at all (in fact, the opposite [i.e., 2 meals per day with intermittent fasting each day] might be a better option). I think either way works as long as our calories are reduced, because like you said/demonstrated, much of the weight loss is about caloric intake"

This is the link he posted to support his argument http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-te ... unked.html
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The 6 meals a day thing is not well versed in scientific tome it's true and it is about calories in over a lengthy wakened period, but I believe in the 6 meals a ay thing as I think it promotes better meal planning for some and some people eating large meals 3 times a day could succumb to things like feelings of overfullness and bloating, which might not be good. Plus it could encourage people to overconsume or underconsume.

Overconsuming by way of some people having just too many calories for their own good with each meal. Underconsuming by having what they perceive as adequate to last several hours, then to find it was inadeqwuate and they end up for 1-2 hours feeling hungry and possibly snacking or picking at food.

The guy talking about this on your link, doesn't seem to differentiate between people who exercise and those who don't, as your bodies metabolism will react differently to nutrition when you workout versus when you don't.

Small frequent meals can seem to some like something not to daunting to eat and easier to manage and whilst the guy points out ceeral companies and snack bars are peddled as between meal snacks and people don't have time to cook 6 meals a day, you can eat snacks like Nuts, Peanuts, Low Fat Cheese, Sandwiches, pre-prepared Boiled Eggs and Chicken Breasts, Packet Chicken, Beef, Turkey and Ham, Yoghurt, small Microwavable snacks and soups in a pot, so you don't have to be cooking 6 times a day anyway.

The person on your post, doesn't take into account peoples circumstances and what these high calorie intakes equate to food wise.

Example.

A female needs 1,800 calories a day, when sedentary. I often advise around 2,100 a day so thye have some extra calories to burn when exercising.

Let's examine the scenario where you give a female 3 x 700 calorie meals a day.

700 calories could look like this. 1 Chicken Breast 120 calories. 1 Large Baked potato 120 calories, so double that up and you've got 480 calories. How do you get the rest?

Stick an Apple in there, so you've got 560, then add another 140 calories from fat I.E. 15.5g Olive Oil Fat approx. That is a lot to expect a female to eat in one sitting. 2 Chicken Breast, 2 Baked potatos, an Apple and a quantity of fat. It's the way female bodybuilders would eat. 6-8 meals of that size per day. You could make that seem a little less extreme, by saying a large Stir-fry for example.

Now look at it this way, if the person has children the schools will feed them around 12-1PM, but maturing children will need more than younger children. Try giving a 15 year old around 75% of what their father would eat on an active diet, bearing in mind the schools wlll make them exercice.

Father has 2,000 a day plus another 300-500 for exercise. Give the kid 75% of 2,300 a day, which is 1,725 calories a day. then 575 calories for Lunch. Give the kid his Lunch rather than get it off the school, you're talking a Large Sandwich, an Apple and about 1/4 Cup of Nuts a bit extreme.

If you expect schools to give your children food, can they afford to be spending money to give a load of kids in the 11-18 age range around 500-600 calories a meal? Rather than 250-300 a meal? Alternatively, Cafaeteria style eating means having to give your Kids more Lunch money to buy twice as many calories, which might not be feasible.

If the kid gets about 1/5-1/6 of his required daily calories from Lunch, how will the kid sustain their hunger until potentially 5-6 hours later, espeically if they've had Physical education in the afternoon, boosting their Metabolisms?

So you come home give them their meals then what? If you can only workout in the evening, you might have eaten between 12-1PM to accomodate what your work expects, so what then, the wife and husband eat around 700-800 calories respectively for dinner, then workout with a very full stomach and not feel too good doing it, or risk being sick.

So you hold off until 8:30-9:00 when you're done, meaning you've ramped your metabolism up on the back of a potential 8-8.5 hour gap between Lunch and Dinner, when you only ate enough calories to sustain a 6 hour hunger prevention.

Not ideal and then you're letting your kids eat on their own, which if they're little, they might appreciate the interaction and structured meal times, plus if you cook, you're making them food, then cooking again later.

Also if you haven't got time to cook, 6 times a day as the guy mentions, how would a female prepare a 700 calorie Lunch?

A Large Sandwich, Apple and a portion of Nuts perhaps. If the Sandwich is made with two slices of Wheatbread that's 140 calories approx, plus some Chicken at 120 calories, which is 260, some Lettuce Tomato and Cucumber and Mustard, that's around 350, the Apple 430 then 270 calories of Nuts, around 1/3 of a Cup.

However you have to then use something like Nuts or Peanuts to help you bump the calories up, or something like a large dose of Low Fat Cheese. Not much good if you've got intolerances to such things or something like Coeliacs or Ulcerative Colitis.

Having small frequent meals makes more practical sense and you can have plenty of pre-prepared or cold meals / snacks, when you don't have time to cook during the day, or don't want things like Cereal Bars.

Eating 3 big meals a day might be just as effective as 6 smaller ones, but basing your life around smaller meals, is more practical and probably easier to manage and plan for and is not so daunting to do and if you avoid feelings of overfullness and bloating, that's better to me, if you don't constantly get the too much Christmas dinner feeling 2-3 times a day.
jared767
STARTING OUT

Post by jared767 »

I totally agree with what Boss Man said about eating tiny meals 6 times a day. It's good for metabolism...and I hate it when I feel so hungry and I have to cut myself from eating a lot to satisfy hunger. Eating 6 times worked for me.I have been an overweight for the past 10 years of life. I've always tried cutting meals because I thought that was the way to lose weight. But it never worked for me until I read something about metabolism. So I decided the 6 meals and added an hour and a half of brisk walking I lost more than 30 lbs within 3 months. It felt great knowing that you are doing everything right.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I should reiterate that there is no solid evidence to support 6 small meals a day over 3 big ones, but for the reasons I stated I just consider it more practical as well as a few other reasons listed too.
bodyburner
STARTING OUT

Post by bodyburner »

Thanks Boss Man for clearly explaining it to me :) One thing is for sure, eating six meals a day will never make you feel hungry despite the fact that you are consuming smaller portions. I personally like 6 course meal as it make you feel satisfied the whole day and as you mentioned, there is no need to eat too much at one go.
flatstomachguru
STARTING OUT

Post by flatstomachguru »

I eat three cooked meals a day and then have healthy snacks throughout the day. I don't keep count of the number of snacks but it probably comes to three snacks a day.

healthy snacks are typically raw nuts and seeds and fruit with low fat organic yoghurt.

I don't count calories. I eat only wholefoods and follow the Okinawan concept of Hara Hachi Bu, which is eating until 80% full.

Having said that I am already at ideal weight. I do not dispute that calorie counting may be helpful for individuals wanting to lose weight.

flat stomach guru
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I'd personally have to substitute some meals with shakes as I just cant eat that often.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You could, with simple easy to make or create options.

Microwave soups, beans and rice dishes, raw carrot sticks, celery sticks, nuts, peanuts, flaxseed, low fat cheese, yoghurt pots, boiled eggs, cooked the day before or first thing, chicken breast cooked the day before, chicken, turkey, beef and ham from a packet; sandwiches, tofu, savoury fruits like cucumber and tomato and other fruits like sugary, sub acid and acid; wholegrain bread and oat granolas.

Plenty of ready made, quick to make or ready to go food, so no need to go for shakes instead. Just remember that some of those options represent whole choices and some represnt elements of choices, that you'd combine to make a whole meal choice,
Sunwarrior
STARTING OUT

Post by Sunwarrior »

Boss Man wrote:The 6 meals a day thing is not well versed in scientific tome it's true and it is about calories in over a lengthy wakened period, but I believe in the 6 meals a ay thing as I think it promotes better meal planning for some and some people eating large meals 3 times a day could succumb to things like feelings of overfullness and bloating, which might not be good. Plus it could encourage people to overconsume or underconsume.

Overconsuming by way of some people having just too many calories for their own good with each meal. Underconsuming by having what they perceive as adequate to last several hours, then to find it was inadeqwuate and they end up for 1-2 hours feeling hungry and possibly snacking or picking at food.

The guy talking about this on your link, doesn't seem to differentiate between people who exercise and those who don't, as your bodies metabolism will react differently to nutrition when you workout versus when you don't.

Small frequent meals can seem to some like something not to daunting to eat and easier to manage and whilst the guy points out ceeral companies and snack bars are peddled as between meal snacks and people don't have time to cook 6 meals a day, you can eat snacks like Nuts, Peanuts, Low Fat Cheese, Sandwiches, pre-prepared Boiled Eggs and Chicken Breasts, Packet Chicken, Beef, Turkey and Ham, Yoghurt, small Microwavable snacks and soups in a pot, so you don't have to be cooking 6 times a day anyway.
I agree with Boss. Although, I have read a food and nutrition book by Adam Campbell stating that--I'm paraphrasing--'what's more important is how much you put in the tank, not when and where you fill up'.

Nevertheless, I have used the 6-meal a day routine and I've noticed that it did increase metabolism more so than eating 3 meals a day.
However, I found the 6-meal a day routine to be taxing, as I was always focused on what I would be eating next. And whenever I missed that snack or meal, I would get frustrated or grumpy. It would happen often at work or when I was in a situation, where I'm waiting for someone else to eat.
Unless I'm training to lose weight I'd rather stick with just 4-5 meals a day, since it seems easier to keep up with.
Tallgirll22T
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Tallgirll22T »

I think sunwarrior makes a good point about eating so often makes food always on one's mind. I happen to like food and cooking and planning meals, but I have been called out for being "obsessive." This really hurt feelings because, to me, obsessive means crazy. However, maybe I should be obsessive about health, as it is really important to me, especially since dad died of a massive heart attack. The docs say it was a genetic abnormality and I should worry too, but his diet and weight definately had something to do with him dying young.
Anyway, I don't think taking pride in nourishing yourself is obsessive or negative. On the contrary, taking charge of your lifestyle is a very positive and healthy thing to do. I also think that once you get the hang of when to eat and how much, it becomes a part of your normal schedule and is worth it.
koreangirl21
STARTING OUT

Post by koreangirl21 »

Might actually try it. What are the numbers? Is there anyway to incorporate this into the three week diet program? Since the program I am following only has me following numbers reviewyu.com/3-week-diet-review/
gymcelia2016
STARTING OUT

Post by gymcelia2016 »

Thanks, very comprehensive, I keep hearing that diet is more important that the exercise element of getting into shape