Project Shehulkish

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Project Shehulkish

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote: 1 reg Oreo McFlurry (seriously)
:lol: they are on the 400 calorie menu though. LOL

do you stay in the pool very long when you go? You are so fast that drill must not take very long. i always feel like when i go i need to stay in for a while. :)

Your still doing really good! even with the cheats. Are you still seeing results like you did with your no cheat routine last month?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The main thing is, you know that you are capable of doing this and you know how to do it and now you're identifying triggers it will educate you about what to avoid, so you can't make these unwanted mistakes again.

You don't need these counterproductive behavious patterns in your life, but you know what they are and how they can happen now, so it should make it easier.

GOOD LUCK
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:
Athene wrote: 1 reg Oreo McFlurry (seriously)
:lol: they are on the 400 calorie menu though. LOL

do you stay in the pool very long when you go? You are so fast that drill must not take very long. i always feel like when i go i need to stay in for a while. :)

Your still doing really good! even with the cheats. Are you still seeing results like you did with your no cheat routine last month?
Oh gosh! lol That is crazy. 400 calories of SSSHHHUUGGGAAAAHHH! :mrgreen: It's like crack cocaine, I'm telling you. Seriously though, thanks! It's tough, hey? And no, I am most certainly NOT seeing the results I saw without cheating. I feel like I'm back to normal, and looking softer.
Boss Man wrote:The main thing is, you know that you are capable of doing this and you know how to do it and now you're identifying triggers it will educate you about what to avoid, so you can't make these unwanted mistakes again.

You don't need these counterproductive behavious patterns in your life, but you know what they are and how they can happen now, so it should make it easier.

GOOD LUCK
Thanks, buddy :)

You guys are going to help keep me on the straight and narrow with this stuff! Thanks a lot.
Athene
REGULAR

August 17, 2012

Post by Athene »

Lifestyle
Slept 7 hours
Biked 10k to work, got a ride home

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull up, air squat, push up, sit up
Technique - Bench Press warm up
WOD - Bench Press Max 5, 3, 2-2-2-2
Flexibility

Nutrition
8:30 AM - 3 eggs, 2 tbsp cheddar, 2 cups black coffee
2:30 PM - 8 concord grapes, 1 cup black coffee
4:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 1 small apple, 900 mg fish oil
7:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 2 cups steamed broccoli, 900 mg fish oil
Midnight - 4 eggs, 2 tbsp cheddar, 4 strips side bacon
Athene
REGULAR

August 19, 2012

Post by Athene »

Ahh, journal. I'm in that place with it where I like other people's journals better and am disillusioned with myself and resent mine because I'm not doing so well. I'm a fairweather friend to this thing ;) I'm trying hard not to just stop posting, but as soon as I say that I know I will some right back to it, I kind of rely on this and the accountability. Anyway, life is pretty good and I'm just slacking, so I have to get head back in the game a bit.

I'm going to England on Tuesday and friend gave me 12 bodyweight workouts to do so I don't come back with weaker push ups or something like that. I wonder how many of them I will actually do? I am planning to journal on paper if I don't have internet access all the time, but we'll see what happens. I may have time in the evenings before bed when no one else is around, and if the wifi is reliable where we are it may be "business as usual".

I'm contemplating cutting dairy and doing a real Paleo Challenge for the month of September, here's a quick little document to view if anyone doesn't know what that is.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... jn6A&pli=1

It's basically a sugar , where you cut processed food, grains, and dairy, and just "eat like a caveman" (meat, veggies, nuts, seeds, some fruit kind of thing) It starts on Sept 4 with workmates. I'm excited because most people lose a lot of when they do it - friend lost 8% in February by going Paleo for 28 days. I couldn't believe that. Her weight stayed the same, but her measurements shrunk and she was made of completely different stuff. I will do the Paleo Challenge properly this time, I will cut dairy. There, I said it to the universe. Everyone who registers pays $10 and the pot goes to the charity of the winner's choice. I will donate mine to the Canadian Diabetes Association if I win.

Today is touching base with friends and family, and finishing Literary Review re-write for thesis intro. Have a great Sunday everyone!

Lifestyle
Slept 6 hours (end of workweek yesterday, stayed up a bit too late)

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row
Technique - Deadlift warm up
WOD - 5 rounds for time: 15 Pull Ups, 10 165lbs Deadlifts
Flexibility

Nutrition
9:00 AM - 2 cups black coffee, 1 cup whole milk
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

maybe you should try paleo? Some people have it as a lifestyle something you could eat and do forever.
Athene wrote:I'm just slacking,
it might have something to do with going to england soon and knowing your going on vacation?? Don't be too hard on yourself you've been doing really well and i know you can get back into the groove!!
Athene
REGULAR

Slacking!

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:
Athene wrote:I'm just slacking,
it might have something to do with going to england soon and knowing your going on vacation?? Don't be too hard on yourself you've been doing really well and i know you can get back into the groove!!
Thanks :) I think it has to be something like that. I'm also in between challenges since I bailed on the "no cheating before holiday" interim one. I guess I'm trying to relax without undoing hard work, trying to do something in moderation, just once! I plan to enjoy holiday without going out of control. I think training in the mornings or evenings will help keep me focused.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Be proud of all you have achieved, because you deserve to be and keep remembering how much you can do and how much are are capable of and you won't let yourself down. You can still do a lot while you're away,. So you don't have to be worrying about gaining several lbs back whilst away.

If you're smart you could could conceivably maintain or even lose a bit of weight, based on how you manage your eating and exercise.

I'm really proud of you and I want you to keep thinking positively and be smart about all this, so you don't let this trip become a counterproductive thing, because by keeping on top of things, without detracting too much if at all, from the enjoyment of the trip, you'll be fine.

This is effecitvely a situation where your eating and exercise, will be stepped out of the comfort zone and if you can return with the same or lower weight, this would be a big learning curve for you, about control, mindset, planning, plan B's and self belief.

I'm sure you can do this and I wish you luck and hope you have a great time.

You're a terrific individual Karrie and a true, genuine and pure-hearted Lady and I hope things continue to work out for you, because you ARE worth it :)

WELL DONE on everything so far, chin up, be strong and keep up the hard work. This is your whole life now, the ultimate goal, to become old, strong, healthy and active. You're doing a great job so far and I know you'll keep making a greta fist of things, because I believe 10,000% in you okay :).

Oh and THANKS for all your time, effort and humanity around here. It constantly makes a truly appreciated difference and I wanted you to know that. You'll be missed, but you deserve to be with those abroad and having some deserved "you time" for different things right now and whatever you do in the future, this site will hopefully always be here for you and so will people like me, because if you want to, you'll always have me as a friend for life and I'll be in your corner whatever life brings, so I'll say again, have a great time, best wishes and THANKS for just being you.

I'm sure you've made your father proud for turning out like you have and you have a lot to be proud of and I'm sure all the brits you encounter will feel touched by your presence and you'll help make the people you are with, happier and emotionally richer for you being there :).
Athene
REGULAR

August 20, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boosssssmmmaaaannnnnn! Big hugs your way, buddy. I really appreciate you too, and thank you for writing all of those beautiful things. I don't know if anyone in the UK will be "touched by humanity", so much as annoyed, as they may be shocked by North Americanisms (eating a lot, talking loudly, asking rude questions, talking to people in the service industry like we are friends!), but I'm excited to see husband's family. I don't know how often I'll get on here to log food and training, but I'm going to make an effort before bed every day.
Boss Man wrote:This is effecitvely a situation where your eating and exercise, will be stepped out of the comfort zone and if you can return with the same or lower weight, this would be a big learning curve for you, about control, mindset, planning, plan B's and self belief.
I think you nailed it, it's a big learning curve in self control and self belief. I'm going knowing I won't let myself down, and it's the first time I've confidently felt that way going into a new situation. That part feels good.

Today I went to see Grandma and to say good bye before trip. She made me pure sugar for lunch (!): perogies (Eastern European dumplings filled with potato), nectarine (fruit), cinnamon bun (!!), and black tea. It was delicious "Grandma-food", as I call it, but I ate it and loved it, and I love her :D The rest of the day was fine, I ate bacon and eggs as usual, drank a lot of coffee, and now am emailing off thesis for review while I am away. It will be so nice not thinking about this for the next 2 weeks.

I have a few vacation workouts planned, and am excited for flight tomorrow morning. Thanks for the support guys, and I'll talk to you soon.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:as they may be shocked by North Americanisms (eating a lot, talking loudly, asking rude questions, talking to people in the service industry like we are friends!), but I'm excited to see husband's family. I don't know how often I'll get on here to log food and training, but I'm going to make an effort before bed every day.
Good luck in training and watching your food. :) are people in england not friendly to service people?? LOL
Athene wrote:it's the first time I've confidently felt that way going into a new situation.
That is i think a hard thing to feel. i wish you the best of luck and strength to continue with your goals while in England.
Athene wrote:Today I went to see Grandma and to say good bye before trip. She made me pure sugar for lunch (!): perogies (Eastern European dumplings filled with potato), nectarine (fruit), cinnamon bun (!!), and black tea. It was delicious "Grandma-food", as I call it, but I ate it and loved it, and I love her The rest of the day was fine, I ate bacon and eggs as usual, drank a lot of coffee, and now am emailing off thesis for review while I am away. It will be so nice not thinking about this for the next 2 weeks.

I have a few vacation workouts planned, and am excited for flight tomorrow morning. Thanks for the support guys, and I'll talk to you soon.
Your grandma sounds like a nice fun person to see. and she sounds like a good cook too. :) safe travels!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'm sure you'll put the right effort in, to make sure you're keeping on top of your exercise and food and not lapsing into unwanted habits, that you could bring back and find hard to shift.

It wasn't easy when you had your leg injury, but you came back fighting and stronger for it as well and you deserve a lot of credit for not making wishy-washy excuses for not exercising weeks or even months after you could have and you still did some things to help get through it, rather than just sittign around moping, from what I recall.

You're a pretty tough nut misses, ut underneath it all lies the oustanding heart and I know whatever you give to others, that enhances their lives, you can keep giving that to yourself too, because there's plenty for you to share between the people around you and yourself as well.

I'm sure you'll have a great time :).
Athene
REGULAR

September 8, 2012

Post by Athene »

Well hello :)

I'm back from holidays and back "on the wagon" so to speak. Had a great time and am diving headfirst into the last 5 weeks of thesis writing (hopefully), work, and looking forward to some family stuff too.

I'm going to check in on everyone's journals and dig deep for some motivation to get back into the place I was before, more like in July, and not slack off post-vacation. I sense a new goal coming up tomorrow but I'll have to think of the dates I want to use. birthday is in November and I would like to make a goal for around that time, but I'm going to sleep on it for now.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think a really good goal that you could work upto and really get stuck into by November, would be to focus on your strength wants and see if you can't achieve at least another 10lbs of muscle by the age of 30.

I think you've done some Kickboxing or Muay Thai before, so perhaps another mini-goal of getting into that a it more and seeing if by the age of 30, you could have had at least 1 amateur fight

You're then having a goal and perhaps a mini-goal as well to achieve within 2 years, which is not unrealistic, as you don't need to just pootle along until November being moderately active, you can use the next 2 months to work up to some kind of more hardcore assault on goals and with your timeframe, you'll be able to progress in life, without putting undue pressure on the training or educational wants.

I really admire your attitude to yourself. I wish more females would stop being afraid of hard lifting and thinking constantly that doing 15-20 reps with 2-3 plates, on stuff like a Pec Deck will ever yield tangible results, when it doesn't, or thinking curling dumbells all the time that weigh 0.5lb more than pink ones, is somehow progress, when it wasn't beyond the first month of doing it.

So I hope your goals work out for you and kudos on the thesis work and educational stuff. I can appreciate that it must have bene difficult after a few years out of the education system, to get your head back in the game, but I know you're giving it a lot and you should be proud of yourself and I hope when you finish your studies, the route it helps you to go down in life is productive and rewarding.

I think in all apsects of your life right now you're doing brilliantly, so keep going and no worries okay :).

We are ALL right behind you Karrie and you are a STAR!!!
Athene
REGULAR

START: *4 WEEK FALL CHALLENGE*

Post by Athene »

Mini-challenge time. I read the beginning of this thread where I laid out plan for longterm goal of building a lot more muscle, and I am going to tweak it for 4 weeks by skewing it so that I focus more on thesis completion, which is due in 4 weeks and is much more pressing. I will have to work really hard to get it finished on time, and to be good enough that advisor will let it through to committee. I know it's just a Master's and not a PhD dissertation or anything, but with work and training and everything else in life I just have a hard time motivating myself to make time for it. There is an element of university burn-out as well, I'm ready to finish this academic goal without damaging fitness goals.

Dates: September 10 - October 10, 2012

Plan:
- Train a minimum of 5 days per week.
- 4 complete meals per day (protein/fat/carbs/fish oil pill)
- 1 planned treat per week, maximum.
- Re-draft 1 thesis chapter every weekend, email it to advisor on the Monday evening of each week (first one is tomorrow!)
- Complete any edits/add feedback on other chapters during the week in the mornings, as well as any extra translation work that could help.
- Important: Not to stress-eat, watch too much TV, or spend too much time online to avoid working.

Obviously there's no weight loss element to this, it's a fitness/wellness/health goal I guess. After October 10 I think I will have body fat and measurements professionally done and make a -loss goal. That would be great and I will be in a good place to focus on training and nutrition once this is done.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

GOOD LUCK. I for one, am completely with you on any goal you make. Whatever you do that makes you happy and will give you long-term satisfaction and happiness, I'm completely and totally for it :).