Rachel's Workout Journey

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

rgugs
STARTING OUT

Rachel's Workout Journey

Post by rgugs »

Hello everybody!

I found this website looking for a place to post workouts, and hopefully get some motivation and inspiration! I used to use the Beachbody forums, but now every reply is somebody trying to be your coach and sell you stuff. I don't want that!

A little about me-

I work on boats! Part of the year I'm a fisheries biologist for the government on the commercial fishing boats in Alaska. I do catch composition analysis, take biological samples, and keep the fishermen honest. I'm not their favorite person, though most guys are ok. When I'm not working on the fishing boats, I'm a deckhand on a small National Geographic cruise ship that does trips in SE Alaska in the summer, the Columbia River in the fall, and Costa Rica and Panama in the winter. I just finished first 6 month contract with that job, and got to see a bunch of amazing things, and lost 15 pounds in the process! When I'm not working, I'm traveling. I went to Tahiti and Hawaii just over a year ago, and looking forward to Honduras, and hopefully Argentina and Antarctica at the end of the year! All this moving around and living out of suitcases without a set schedule really does make it hard to workout. I'm hoping accountability will get me moving to make the most of the time I do have! I want to rock a bikini this year for the first time in adult life!

I just started Beachbody's Les Mills Combat, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it so far! I think it has the best chance of being a "portable" workout, and the stress relief gotten from punching and kicking is often needed in jobs! I just did Day 3, and tomorrow is a rest day. I need it! I've been pretty sore since I started, but I'm dedicated to doing every scheduled workout until I get back on the fishing boats in mid March. After that I just hope to maintain. The work is physically demanding, so if I'm working a lot, I should be fine. I also LOVE Latin dance, and while I'm pretty bad at it, I just can't help but moving to the beat! Since I tend to get bored easily, I got the Zumba program to spice up workouts when I just need to dance!

Rachel
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Rachel's Workout Journey

Post by fitoverforty »

rgugs wrote:Hello everybody!

I found this website looking for a place to post workouts, and hopefully get some motivation and inspiration!
Hello Rachel, you've come to the right place! I have always gotten alot of inspiring, motivating, positive input from folks here at Shapefit, so I know you will enjoy it.

Keeping a workout journal is a great way to get advice, tweak your diet and have some accountability to your fitness program if that is what you need.

You have an amazing life! So full of interesting, challenging, rewarding work. I have heard good things about the Beachbody Les Mill Combat, but haven't tried it myself. Sounds like a good workout, especially for your lifestyle with all of your traveling. I have done Zumba and LOVE it, it's a really great workout and so fun to do. :D

What kind of food do you eat when you are on the fishing boats and National Geographic ship?

Welcome, hope to hear more from you in the future! :mrgreen:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Funny how you say people on the Beachbody forums were often trying to be someones coach and peddle stuff, but you still use one of their products :P :P

If that was me I'd decline to use any of their products, because of the slightly pushy and overpromotional nature of such things, if I was in your shoes.

Not a criticism just an observation.

I'm sure you'll achieve what you want to achieve. The main thing is you're trying and actually not using your situation, as an excuse to settle for who you are now, as some could cite the lack of time as a reason not to bother, or as an excuse as to why they couldn't be active when maybe they could.

GOOD LUCK to you, because you should be proud of trying and proud of caring about yourself enough and it shows you have a lot of self worth, but it also says a lot about the kind of person you are, because caring for yourself, often means there's a lot of something inside of you, that can be given to others and often is :).

Anything we can do just ask, as that's what we're here for :).
rgugs
STARTING OUT

Post by rgugs »

Hi Fitoverforty!

What I eat on the boat really depends on what they serve. On large boats with factories, there are usually cooks who make food for the guys every 4 hours because they work 16 hour shifts in a cold factory, and the factory runs 24/7 when they have fish. I tend to gain weight on those boats. On smaller boats they either have 1 person who cooks, or they take turns cooking. We call some boats "Hot Pocket" boats, because they just buy a lot of frozen food to heat up. Pollock or cod catcher boats usually eat pretty well with more fresh foods since they are in town every 3-4 days to offload. I'm currently looking for a meal replacement shake I could take with me to make sure I get at least one decent meal a day! I've used Shakeology, and I like the chocolate taste, but it is SOOOO expensive! I'm hoping I can find a slightly less expensive substitute. The cruise ship is a little better, but the foods can be very fattening since they are normally cooked with lots of oil or butter.

When I'm not working on boats, I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, but I don't really diet. I read the labels on everything before I buy it, and I just try to eat in moderation. I still ate the super yummy desserts and cookies on the boat, but still lost 15 pounds, so it is doable!

Rachel
rgugs
STARTING OUT

Post by rgugs »

Hey Boss Man!

I started using Beachbody products almost 10 years ago, back before EVERYBODY on the message boards was a coach and trying to sell you stuff! I've used other workout programs, but I still keep going back to the BB programs because I'm familiar with their style, and they are good programs. I just buy them from Amazon or directly from the website.

Rachel
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That's fair enough :).

I appreciate you're in unusual circumstances and have partly limited control of how you look after yourself.
rgugs
STARTING OUT

Post by rgugs »

Hey all!

The last few days have been little crazy with a missed flight and meeting up with old friends!

I got Friday workout in, but instead of Les Mills, I went to a 90's Dance Party with a friend, and we had 4 hours of booty shaking dancing to get our workout in for the day! Today was a rest day, but I still got a little exercise hiking a little ways up a mountain in 3 ft. deep snow for some trapshooting with friends! I'm supposed to go hiking with friends tomorrow, so I might not get Les Mills workout in, but so long as I do a good workout every day scheduled, I'll count it as a win!

Rachel
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Sounds like you have a very interesting job. I will be following a long with your journey!