Newbie.. Need help and tips. Please just starting out

Post your photos and show everyone the progress you have made with your physique!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Missdee
STARTING OUT

Newbie.. Need help and tips. Please just starting out

Post by Missdee »

Hi everyone,
I'm really un happy with body , I've just signed up at the gym I start on Thursday..
But don't have a clue what to do when I get there , I've posted pics of myself...
I want to be skinner & toned ? Can some people please point me in the right direction ..
I currently weigh 11stone 8pounds and I'm 5ft 6 .. goal weight is to be about 9stone 5pounds.
I'm really determined to change the way I look , I even have stuck the same pictures in bedroom to look at everyday to motivate self... Any help/tips will be appreciated .. I would like to know what to do at gym.. i want to train every part of body, legs arms cheat abs .also what kind of protein to get for weight loss .. ive been reading i need to eat 5-6 meals a day, clean food, chicken veggies fruit ..We all have to start some where right?
Look forward to your comments

http://m902.photobucket.com/albumview/a ... g.html?o=0
http://m902.photobucket.com/albumview/a ... g.html?o=1
http://m902.photobucket.com/albumview/a ... g.html?o=2
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Newbie.. Need help and tips. Please just starting out

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Amber, it's good to speak with you :).

I've slightly amended the colour of your post to make it a bit easier for people to read, but I haven't changed any of the content in case you were wondering :).

Firstly I want you to feel proud of your decision to change your life. At your age so many people are making seriously bad health choices and mixing with the wrong people and I want you to know that even after this short amount of time, I'm proud of your decision to be good to yourself and I think it shows you are someone who possesses quite a lot of inner beauty, so I hope we can help you achieve a body that reflects the person you are on the inside :).

I think you would benefit from concentrating on a change in lifestyle, where you put on a bit of muscle. Muscle on females can often look beautiful, feminine and healthy, so forget all the neagative stuff you may hear about female strength because it really and truly is all rubbish and you'd benefit from having a stronger more sustainable body you could maintain into old age and give yourself a better quality of old age :).

Muscle can also help to burn more fat and you're someone I think deserves to one day soon have a body you can really be proud of and loe for how it looks.

When starting out, most people can benefit from something like a TBT system, where they train all the main bodyparts 3x a week.

This is ithe sort of thing you could do

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets 10 reps

Bent over rows, 2 sets 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You do the workout 3x a week on non-consecutive days.

The bulk of the exercises use barbells, so go for the smallest one you can and the shrugs use dumbells, so go for the second smallest ones you can.

You then increase the weight a little bit after 2 weeks, then after 4 weeks, your body should be ready to go a bit heavier.

I would add some cardio in there and suggest interval training, as your body would be less likely to adapt to that compared to steady state.

You would do the cardio 2x a week for 30 minutes, starting at a moderate pace you can tolerate, then increase the tempo a little every 2 weeks.

It would look something like this.

Day 1. weights

Day 2. cardio

Day 3. weights

Day 4. day off

Day 5. cardio

Day 6. weights

Day 7. day off.

The foods your looking to eat and the amount of meals you're looking at look good.

I'd suggest you aim for around 30g protein per meal, which would be around 180g per day, 720 calories per day for now, then if you have the same amount of calories from carbs you're looking at 1,440, then around 10g fats per meal, which is 540 calories per day, so you're around 2,000 calories per day in total.

Being active the fats and carbs would be used up to a point for energy and the protein to help develop some extra muscle.

Hopefully all this helps in some way.

GOOD LUCK Amber and do please ask for more clarification or help if you need it and please do keep us updaed on your progrss, because I for one would be really happy ot find out how things turn out for you.

We as a community are here to support people in any way(s) we can, for as long as they want us too and you will never be any different okay :).

So chin up, keep believing and keep remembering that you ARE worth it :).
Missdee
STARTING OUT

Post by Missdee »

Hi Boss Man,
Thankyou for your reply.. This has really helped me I will take your advice into hand... Me diet offically starts tomorrow I can't wait, it's going to be a challenge but this months choices are next months body and so on!!
Ill keep everyone on here updated, I'm planning on weighing myself every end of week and taking new pictures monthly
Thankyou for give me a head start :)

Another question .. Can I have whole meal wraps? I'm trying to cut bread out but I'm think of a tortilla wrap with chicken and veggies in for one of lunches at work..

Thanks again
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It should be fine yes.

The best time to weigh is first thing in the morning after a toilet trip, to avoid weighing with waste and also undigested food matter and liquid in the digestive tract.

When you say start a diet, do you mean just one with healthy choices, or are you using an actual system?
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Hi Amber welcome to the group and congratulations on your new life choice!!!

I always like to add the little tidbit of using a tape measure and measure your waste and hips the same day/time you do your weigh in. You will find that sometimes your scale won't move but the tape measure will !! By doing both you better realize your results and avoid frustration. May I also add, that when you take your photos, attempt the same amount of clothing and the camera at the same distance from you each time with the same 3 body shots each time you take a photo (front, back, side). By doing this, the changes are easier to see and track. This can be easily remembered with tape lines or reference notes in your workout/food diary if you keep one.

Best of luck!!!
Chris
Missdee
STARTING OUT

Post by Missdee »

Boss Man wrote:It should be fine yes.

The best time to weigh is first thing in the morning after a toilet trip, to avoid weighing with waste and also undigested food matter and liquid in the digestive tract.

When you say start a diet, do you mean just one with healthy choices, or are you using an actual system?

Yes I always weigh on a morning , and no, I'm not using any system I've used lots of stupid diets ie. weight watchers there rubbish , I'm simply just changing everything I'm eating cutting all the crap out and sticking to a healthy plan, I've made a table mon-sun I'm gonnah plan meals out too so when I come straight on from work I'm not faffing about wondering what I'm gonnah make, I've stocked up on chicken breasts and fillets there ive frozen them , also everything I'm gonnah eat is going to be fresh no pre-packed things or ready meals, I actually weighed myself this morning I thought I was 11stone 8 (this is when I weighed on the night ) but this morning I weighed 11, 6 and half
Missdee
STARTING OUT

Post by Missdee »

vamp wrote:Hi Amber welcome to the group and congratulations on your new life choice!!!

I always like to add the little tidbit of using a tape measure and measure your waste and hips the same day/time you do your weigh in. You will find that sometimes your scale won't move but the tape measure will !! By doing both you better realize your results and avoid frustration. May I also add, that when you take your photos, attempt the same amount of clothing and the camera at the same distance from you each time with the same 3 body shots each time you take a photo (front, back, side). By doing this, the changes are easier to see and track. This can be easily remembered with tape lines or reference notes in your workout/food diary if you keep one.

Best of luck!!!
Chris

Yes I'm gonnah do this too ill buy one tmro, I'm getting up early going for a jog on the morning since the gym I will be attending wont be open till Thursday , it's a new one called "pure gym"
Thankyou chris !!
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

I hope it was helpful Amber. I myself am just getting back into it and am on the weight loss / muscle gain trip and clean eating... it is never easy but it is always worth it.

If you like it, try fish once or twice a week for a dinner so it is not always chicken. And if you like beef, don't be afraid of it, once a week is fine and it has great protein as well as vitamins and minerals. Trim the fat before you cook to make it healthier!

I am sure you know this but a veggie dinner is very good also, like a salad with a small side of cottage cheese with cucumber or peaches with it... of course it also depends on your taste buds ;)

Enjoy your jog in the morning and I hope the new Gym is successful just like you will be!

Chris
Missdee
STARTING OUT

Post by Missdee »

vamp wrote:I hope it was helpful Amber. I myself am just getting back into it and am on the weight loss / muscle gain trip and clean eating... it is never easy but it is always worth it.

If you like it, try fish once or twice a week for a dinner so it is not always chicken. And if you like beef, don't be afraid of it, once a week is fine and it has great protein as well as vitamins and minerals. Trim the fat before you cook to make it healthier!

I am sure you know this but a veggie dinner is very good also, like a salad with a small side of cottage cheese with cucumber or peaches with it... of course it also depends on your taste buds ;)

Enjoy your jog in the morning and I hope the new Gym is successful just like you will be!

Chris

I like fish , and also beef... When I've been reading up on clean eating am I only allowed egg whites? I have chickens in backgarden I get 7 fresh eggs on a morning so I will also be adding these into food

Thankyou :)
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

mmmmm fresh eggs! Don't be afraid of the yokes, yes they contain good and bad cholesterol but they also contain vitamins and minerals that the whites don't... say you are making an omelette, one whole egg and one or two egg whites are fine... eating a hardboiled egg is a great snack packed with goodness or sliced on a salad to add protein to your meal.

Unless your doctor has said cholesterol is a problem for you, I wouldn't worry about the eggs too much! There are many views on this but this is mine.

Chris
Missdee
STARTING OUT

Post by Missdee »

Oh goodie :)

Another question.. Will i have breakfast before I go for run or after ?

Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Do it before you run, so you have fuel to run and nutrition to spare muscle mass.

Also omega 3 eggs, (chickens fed flaxseed), have no cholesterol or shouldn't do, as it's pretty much just the good old alpha linoleic acid and linolenic acid, but normal eggs with cholesterol in have been touted as having imited effects on blood cholesterol, but if you are concerned limit ot one yolk with your whites.

As Vamp said, yolks have other beneficial content like protein, vitamin K, A, D and E and lutein and eggs are a calcium source too so the calcium, vit D and vit K2, (K1 is a clotting agent), are good for bone health.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Totally agree with Boss Man on fuelling before the run, hydrate as well.... A glass of water when you wake up helps wake up the organs and starts your metabolism going, eat your breakfast and then go for the jog ;) Drinking water before your meals also helps you feel more full earlier to help stop over eating ;)

Chris
Relaxer
STARTING OUT

Post by Relaxer »

I could read misdee's britishy posts all day and be content
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Amber - Sounds like you are on a mission for change! How is this going for you so far?

On a side note: Guy's what are your thoughts on fasted cardio in the a.m. as opposed to cardio after a meal. I know a lot of ppl that swear by fasted morning cardio to burn fat faster...