Stopping Cardio and Weight Gain

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

milly
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Stopping Cardio and Weight Gain

Post by milly »

Over the last 3 months I have stopped cardio ie. Zumba and running (to have a break). These sessions were 3 times a wee, but have continued with weight/strength training 3 times a week.
I feel that I am now slowly starting to gain weight. Is it possible to gain weight whilst only doing strength work. I thought this would have been enough to keep metabolism going? Dont know whats going on. Appreciate any feedback on pros and cons of cardio and weight loss together with or without strength work.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Stopping Cardio and Weight Gain

Post by Boss Man »

The weight could be muscle, so I would not be too concerned about that just right now.

The stopping of cardio, might be have a slight effect on fat burning, but if you're concerned you can alter your diet slightly and adjust.

You could do this by removing 5-10g carbs from each meal, then replacing the calories with fat calories. Your body would then want the lost carbs for energy, not get them and utilise fat instead.

However this may be a contigency measure, if you're not planning to do any more cardio for the forseeable future, but I would say hold off until you're certain the weight gain is muscle and fat not just muscle.

What I will say is that I am glad to see you updating and I am proud to read you are still pushing yourself well it seems.

Out of interest and feel free not to disclose if you'd rather not, I won't mind, but what sort of weight increases on exercises have you seen from the start up to now, I:E what did you start lifting and what do you currently lift and what timeframe has this occured in?

I'm just genuinely interested to know, as I am not that aware of how quickly females progress with weights.

I will say GOOD LUCK and wish you all the continued best. We have been before and still will be here for you Milly and it's great to see you posting again, as you're a Lovely lady and you're clearly doing great things to improve yourself physically and you deserve to be proud of yourself for doing them.
milly
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by milly »

Bossman, thank you for the reply. Appreciate and value the feedback. Yes, I am hoping muscle too.

Over the last 18months - 2 years, I have consistently been doing strength/weights three times a week. The weight I lift have been a slow and steady progression and I am so pleased with the results and am continuing to push the limits. It is an awesome feeling to continually strive to beat yourself and push the boundaries. I have found through this journey that the strongest thing is the mind. I do training at 5a.m. and always feel totally exhilarated afterwards. Some days when that alarm goes off I think..NO!! but once feet hit the floor it all changes and I am ready to go. Training has now become a routine and part of everyday activities.

From really not lifting anything but light weights to start with, I now chest press 40kg, deadlift 60kg, squat 40kg, bicep curls 20kg and......can now do 4 chinups!! Progression has been steady and I am surprising myself that on some days I can even do that bit heavier. I feel the strongest and fittest I have ever been and to date have not had one injury. I would now like to train as if I was going to compete in a Masters Figure Comp. I don't want to, but just to prove to myself that I can do it. Now I feel as if there is no limits. Thank you again for the reply.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well I have to tell you Milly for a 58 year old female, a 60kg deadlift is really, really impressive. It would be pretty impressive for someone half your age, but you're seriously owning your own body and creating a better future for yourself and I feel extremely proud of you for committing to yourself like this and I hope it continues, because I think you are a seriously amazing inspiration and I want you to be proud of yourself, because have DEFINITELY earned it.

What a great and beautiful story and THANK YOU for updating us and if you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know, because unless something unexpected happens, we will never stop being here for people of all differing backgrounds and that includes strong, maturing Ladies such as yourself.

WELL DONE and keep up the hard work Milly. Your admissions have made day and I'm so happy you have achieved such things, because you ARE and always have been worth it :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Very impressive!!! Are you considering entering the competition you mentioned? Have you tried to combining some cardio/circuit training into your workout routine? Maybe that would help you feel better about not completing full cardio sessions?

I know several competitors that incorporate plyometric moves in between every other set while lifting with great results.
milly
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by milly »

Thank you Alinshop for your feedback.

Hadn't considered circuit type work but am up for it.!! I would like to compete but the thought of the tan and strutting is a bit daunting for me
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think you should go for it then Milly cost permitting obviously. You've worked hard to get where you are and if you really want to take it to another level, we can certainly support you.

We've supported a few other people to the stage and you should definitely consider it and on site which you will find linked on the side of post, I posted a fairly comprehensive breakdown of some the stuff and things to do to prepare and do a show in compeitions section, which at the time was based on what I'd read and from reading peoples testimonies.

You are not obliged to sign up as all content has and always will be available to read to guests, but signing up is required to post to deter spamming.

Altertnatively if you like I could paste it here, but I would say you should consider it seriously and pick a federation and a first choice and second choice show and then decide what category you want to be in I:E figure or bodybuilding.

If you make this tangible, then it's not set in stone, but it suddenly becomes a more real thing, not just an idea to play around with, because you have something to work towards.

Even if you only did it the once, you're not I repeat NOT too old for this, no way. I think you could do it and you've definitely got the drive and determination for something like this, but definitely give it some serious consideration, because if you want to compete even just the once we will absolutely back you 10,000,000% of the way to the show and provide you with advice about how potentially to ease yourself back into a normal routine afterwards to avoid splurging on food and having recovering a sensible off-season look.

This is your choice, but I for one and I'm sure others would be proud to support you if you want to compete, just like I was always and will always be proud to support any female who wants to be strong and then potentially take the step towards competing, because you're never too old and if Ernestine Shepard can compete and win in her 70's what more proof do you need?

Whatever you do Milly, whether you make the serious decision to compete or choose not to, your continued progression and goals will never stop mattering to us, so GOOD LUCK whatever you choose and keep remembering that you ARE worth it and be proud of yourself, because you are an awesome Lady and your success is 99% yours, as I personally never help people to glorify own knowledge and advice, I do it to give people who deserve it the chance to fulfill their physical potential and wants and to find the happiness and enjoyment the success brings and if you ever competed, I'd step back, accept I'd done a small thing to help you realise the moments on stage, but give you so much credit for what you'd done and let you feel like it was yours, because adpoting a "you'd be nothing without me approach" is selfish and arrogant and I don't do either of those where peoples goal are concerned :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

milly wrote:Thank you Alinshop for your feedback.

Hadn't considered circuit type work but am up for it.!! I would like to compete but the thought of the tan and strutting is a bit daunting for me

You are welcome! The tan isn't so bad, as it's just a spray that will wash off within a few days, but the strutting around in heels might be a different story :lol:

Bossman, where is the link to the site you mentioned?
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

Doing strength training can help you keep weight off by building muscle thus boosting your metabolism. However, you're likely to benefit more from doing moderate to intense cardiovascular exercise such as brisk walking continually for at least 30 minutes five or more times a week.
RichardSmith
STARTING OUT

Post by RichardSmith »

Great advice, thanks guys