Just got treadmill and need advice

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

dankthetank13
STARTING OUT

Just got treadmill and need advice

Post by dankthetank13 »

So I just got a new treadmill and I really need a workout plan. I am currently 17 years old, roughly 230lbs, about 5"9, and still in high school. I am looking to see if anyone has any pointers on how long and how I should be using the treadmill, like miles and incline and all that. I want to lose weight fast and willing to work hard. goal is to get to about 195 - 200lbs. Please I need advice if anyone has workout plans!
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Re: Just got treadmill and need advice

Post by fat-to-fit »

I have some workout plans on paper and some put on treadmill. mine I won't say because you are a different fat percentage and height than me. But basically it would be find a fast walking speed and an incline and changing that every 2 or 3 minutes for 30 minutes to an hour. that would be for walking although I suppose you could do the same for jogging. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Dank, good to speak to you.

The above comments would potentially work for you.

Alternatively try 30 minutes on it and set it to an interval setting. You would be wise to start out at a low level like level 2 and do 5 days a week and eventually after 2-3 weeks, see if you can go up another level.

If not, take the intensity back down to level 2 if at that point you find level 3 a bit much part way through.

Eventually every 2-3 weeks of increasing the level, you might find you can get at least to level 4, possibly 5.

If you do use this method, I'd go with this strategy.

Day 1. Treadmill

Day 2. Treadmill

Day 3. Treadmill

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Treadmill

Day 6. Treadmill

Day 7. Day off.

Eventually when you're around level 4-5, you could then increase the duration by 5 minutes a week, until you're up to 1hr.
dankthetank13
STARTING OUT

Post by dankthetank13 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Dank, good to speak to you.

The above comments would potentially work for you.

Alternatively try 30 minutes on it and set it to an interval setting. You would be wise to start out at a low level like level 2 and do 5 days a week and eventually after 2-3 weeks, see if you can go up another level.

If not, take the intensity back down to level 2 if at that point you find level 3 a bit much part way through.

Eventually every 2-3 weeks of increasing the level, you might find you can get at least to level 4, possibly 5.

If you do use this method, I'd go with this strategy.

Day 1. Treadmill

Day 2. Treadmill

Day 3. Treadmill

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Treadmill

Day 6. Treadmill

Day 7. Day off.

Eventually when you're around level 4-5, you could then increase the duration by 5 minutes a week, until you're up to 1hr.
That sounds like a great plan! How much weight would I lose say after 3 months?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hard to say I'm afraid.
dankthetank13
STARTING OUT

Post by dankthetank13 »

Boss Man wrote:Hard to say I'm afraid.
Ok no problem! What speed and incline do you recommend then for the 30 minute workout?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well I listed the type of interval setting to use, so just try with that basically.
DDMP
STARTING OUT

Post by DDMP »

If you want to lose weight and get fit you need to address diet.

Is this something you've considered?
shanilbeekarry
STARTING OUT

Post by shanilbeekarry »

Hey,

First of all to lose weight the right nutrition is key. Depending on your body type and your metabolism your diet can vary.

For me when I get close to a show to shed the extra weight I do a fasted cardio, so uI jump on the treadmill every morning for 45 mins for a 45 mins fast pace walks. This is great because you are essential training on an empty stomach so your body will use fat as energy.

However I will advice you to have a protein shake after your cardio so your body doesn't lose muscle mass.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Fasted cardio has been known however to cause dizzy spells, possibly because people are doing blood sugar lowering exercise, when blood sugar is already low. The argument there would be to have the shake before the workout at least, even when prepping for a show, as most fitness and figure comps don't demand people have pro bodybuilding 6% fat levels and people could get the right level of definition with a small amount of carbs every other meal, or for the first 2-3 meals of the day anyway, so there would be no need to go totally ketogenic on a prep anyway, as someone could still have something as simple as a small portion of peanuts before a cardio run, when prepping, to get some fat, protein and carbs, even if it was just 100 calories worth, to provide fuel for the workouts and reduce any risk of dizziness.

I never advocate fasted cardio anyway under any circumstance, as I believe there's never a need for it and in the case of a contest prep; if it is good, then it can be avoided altogether.

It works for you, but it's probably something you could potentially find a way around, just in case at some point the fasted cardio becomes an issue, at the very least because your energy levels might, at some point on the future, become insufficient to fully sustain the cardio you would want to do :).