Any Brazilian Jiu Jitsu people out there?

A forum for training tips, advice and anything regarding sports and strength events.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

static_jacket
STARTING OUT

Any Brazilian Jiu Jitsu people out there?

Post by static_jacket »

Hey all. So, I just joined a BJJ gym. I used to do Tae Kwon Do when I was a kid, but looking back at it, it was kind of a lame style of martial arts. BJJ seems visceral and raw, and looks like a lot of fun.

If you see other posts on here, I've had a hard time loosing body fat in the past year, and still can't kick the last bit of adipose tissue I've got hanging around, but I still hit the gym three to four days a week, keeping at it. I figured maybe doing something like BJJ would not only help me with that, but give me something to work on mental fortitude.

I will say the only thing I'm worried about is one of feet had three broken metatarsals some five years back. I'm worried about a re-break, but I'm not worried enough not to do this. I'm guessing maybe wrapping foot would probably help protect it?

Other than that I'm just looking for general advice from any BJJ guys or gals out there. All I do right now for exercise is lift, I stopped doing cardio a few months ago. I was going to come up with an excuse, but it's mostly that I don't like doing cardio, and just lift really hard.

I have first class today, in a few hours in fact. I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm excited!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Any Brazilian Jiu Jitsu people out there?

Post by Boss Man »

I've never done it, but it might work for you.

As for giving up the cardio that might have been the reason why the weight loss stalled close to the winning line, but I wouldn't start doing something like that again whilst doing the BJJ, as that might be overdoing it.