Workout with Disc Degeneration

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bgq
STARTING OUT

Workout with Disc Degeneration

Post by bgq »

Hi,

I usually do the following exercises in workout using only dumbbells: Squat, Lunge, Good Morning, Single Arm Bent Over Row, Shoulder Press, Shrugs and Hammer Curls.

Recently I suffer from disc degeneration (C6-C7) in neck which causes pain in left arm.

Should I continue doing the same workout as usual? Or Should I skip some exercises?
Are there any good exercises that help in relief?

Thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Workout with Disc Degeneration

Post by Boss Man »

Have you been cleared to workout by a medical professional and have you consulted with one and if so, what did other things did they say ,other than what I assumed they might have said if you saw one.
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

Actually I don't consult any medical professional before starting workout. I felt good, and I started doing workout at home two years ego. Recently I felt intense pain in left hand. So I went to a doctor (neurologist) who asks me to do MRI test which reveals a disc degeneration pressing on a nerve which causes the pain.

I was not sure if the doctor is of the kind who can interpret the details of the exercises, so I asked him about sport in general. He told me that it is good, but not to do things that are hard or exercises that press too much on the back, and he recommends swimming - Unfortunately it is unavailable.

I am not sure about the reason of the disc degeneration, one of the main reasons I started workout is to prevent injuries, yet it seems I got one. I sit about 10 hours each day working on the laptop, I don't know if this is the reason. And I know lifestyle is too far from being healty :( :(
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Were you offered any kind of surgical modality to relieve or ease the pain, or were you told it is a progressive and incurable situation?
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

The doctor said it is early to talk about any surgery. He gave me nutrition supplements for bones and anti inflammatory medication for nerves in addition to a medication to take only when feeling in pain (I think some type of analgesic). He also asked me to wear cervical collar for two hours each day, and recommends me to wear it while driving too.

He asked me to revisit him after three weeks. If the pain remains and becomes unbearable then we "may" talk about surgery. It was clear to me that the doctor is not enthusiast to surgery, but I don't know if it is because of the danger of the surgery or simply he thinks it is not necessary.

The doctor also said that it is highly improbable that the bones return to their initial conditions (A disc is displaced from its position), however he added but it is still possible with a good physician, but I should wait some time with the prescribed medication before consulting a physician and starting physical therapy.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Looking at the list of exercises you have been doing, I noticed you were doing good mornings. I am surprised at this as you would require to have a bar resting on the top of your back, in order to perform that exercises but it would not be advisable to do such a thing when you have a problem in the cervical spine area.

Are you perhaps getting good mornings confused with something else?
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

Actually I do good morning using dumbbells. I raise the dumbbells to the shoulder level (like hammer curls), and I hold them in that position, then I do the good morning exercise.

I don't think I have any other things confusing with good morning.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well certainly the squats and lunges shouldn't be an issue for the cervical vertebrae unless you were doing them with a barbell or olympic bar, but as for the other stuff relating to the upper body it might be causing an issue, so I would suggest trying the individual movements with no weight, then very light weight and gradually testing each movement with a bit more weight until you hit the levels you're currently at.

You would only need a couple of reps at a time. One to test for sensation and the second just to confirm what you felt the first time around.

If any of those movements cause the issue(s) you say you're experiencing, then consider substituting the move or moves you feel responsible for the issue(s) for alternatives.
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

OK, thanks a lot, I really appreciate the time you spend replying and helping me.

Just one more question, is it possible that an exercise may hurt without feeling with any pain? In other words, is it safe to say that if there is no pain then there is no danger?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Pain is the bodies way of saying that something is intolerable. I'm no expert on the full ways and means of the human nervous system, or the connective tissue areas of the body, but if there is any possibility that not doing something pain free could somehow exacerbate something you should best avoid the whatever that thing might be.

However from personal experience of training with niggles now and then, I have always found that as long as I work within the bodies tolerance levels, then it doesn't usually affect how body overcomes the niggles.
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

OK, thanks a lot. I can safely say this is one of the most helpful sites on the web.
I am going to try your advice, I will start today with very light weights for testing :)