Lifting in order do Farmers Walk

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bgq
STARTING OUT

Lifting in order do Farmers Walk

Post by bgq »

Hello,

I am not a professional bodybuilder, I just workout for general fitness.

I have two questions regarding farmers walk:

1) Recently I have been trying to add farmers walk to workout. But I have had a problem in the first step, which is simply lifting the weights! I mean - obviously - in farmers walk I should use much heavier weights than in deadlift. The weights that are supposed to be used in farmers walk are heavier than the ones that I can deadlift safely. How am I supposed to lift those heavy weights to do farmers walk?

2) Currently I do the following exercises: squats, lunges, deadlift, bent over row, shoulder press, chest press and planks all using adjustable dumbbells at home. Is it worth adding farmers walk to this routine?

Thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Lifting in order do Farmers Walk

Post by Boss Man »

You can add farmers walk to the routine, but I am not sure why you believe the weight used should be higher than deadlift weight. If someone could deadlift 200kg's, (440lb's) for example, it would not necessarily be the case that they could or should be doing farmers walk with a greater level of weight, or if they lifted 210 kg's, (462lbs) they would have to be carrying a 105kg, 231lb object in each hand and I would suggest most gyms don't have dumbells that heavy assuming anyone even makes them.

You would be advised however to lower your weight slightly, until you have something comfortable you can carry for a chosen and considerable distance.
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

Thank you very much.

I am not sure why I have the impression that I should use extremely heavy weights in farmers walk (at least heavier than those used in deadlift). It is probably because walking is usually easier than lifting.
mark031111
STARTING OUT

Post by mark031111 »

You could consider starting with lighter weights and gradually increasing as your grip strength and overall strength improve. You might also want to incorporate grip-specific exercises into your routine to help with holding heavier weights for farmers walks.