Read Before Posting To Save Me and You A Lot Of Time

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

swanso5
VETERAN

Read Before Posting To Save Me and You A Lot Of Time

Post by swanso5 »

this is something I made up for work and thought I'd post it here for everyone:

Food Plans

Non Training Days

Meal 1 eaten within 30mins of getting up and as soon as you get up if possible – fruit, high fiber cereal, optional ½ protein shake
Meal 2 – fruit, solid protein
Meal 3 – Solid Protein, Veg, Salad
Meal 4 – Solid Protein, Veg, Salad
Meal 5 – Solid Protein, Veg, Salad
Meal 6 – Solid Protein, Veg, Salad

Training Days

Things will need to change a little now as we need to implement a “post training workout window planâ€
Last edited by swanso5 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I like this, but reservations are it's a bit restrictive. There's other foods out there, that have benefits and in some cases, moreso than a lot of the aforementioned foods themselves.

For example.

Soybean and associated products.

Contain the following.

Protein, at 33% concentration, the best of any protein source.

Carbs

Healthy Fats.

Calcium

Magnesium

Iron

Zinc.

In the case of Nattokinase also a Bifidus culture.

Low Fat Cheese is similar in content, but also contains Fat Soluable Vitamins, not sure if Soy does.

Coconut Oil, is also a really good Fat source, particularly for things like Calcium and Magnesium, and the Fats convert to Energy.

Bacterial Yoghurts are also great for healthy Bacteria content, and can help to relieve Bloating, and protect againt things like C-difficile.

Egg Whites are something that should definitely be considered in the mix, and if a Protein shake is optional for Breakfast, then Fruit and Cereal will potentially have low Protein yield.

Essentailly I like this way of posting things, and I'm not against it, but I think this is a little restrictive, and may impede some peoples ability to get their nutrients, from a variety of sources.

Especially given that if you're not listing Soybean products, Egg Whites or Dairy at all, you're then making it very hard if not impossible, for Vegetarian and Vegan people, to have any Complete Proteins, using this formula.

Again like I say I agree with a lot of this, and especially the tracking and planning aspects, but feel the actual formula is a little restrictive regarding food choices.

:).
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

all this is for is for peiple to start recignising how important meal timing, spacing and portion sizing is...foods can be added subtracted where needed...i don't think it's restricting at all if you follow the rules...most people need to be resticted (carbs etc)...most protein has fats in them with fish etc obviouslty supplying the good fats so they're included although n ot highlighted at the present..if you're eating enoughn fruit and veg i'm pretty sure you'd be covering most of the muinerals the body needs and that's what multi vitamin tablets are for, it's almost impossible to get everything you need from the food you eat...i forgot add eggs in the protein sources, can i edit that? dairy is almost as harmful as it is harmless i think...humans don't even need milk after infancy really like animals
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

edited the eggs pasrt

i also mentioned nuts etc can be aded in and where to add them
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not necessarily Milk for Dairy, but certainly for things like Bacterial Yoghurts, and indeed Low Fat Cheeses, the benefits can be there, especially Bacterial Yoghurts.

True most things will be covered on the plan, but I just meant a bit rerstrictive in food choices, not Micronutrient sources.

Things like Iron are available from things like Broccoli, Spinach, Red Meat, Fortified Cereals, Liver etc etc.

Magnesium from things like Tuna, Halibut, (best yield), Nuts, Whole-grains, Legumes.

Calcium is available from Almonds, a really good Calcium source, although Soy and Dairy offer good sources too, but Calcium is probably okay in the choices you stated.

Zinc pretty much mimics Iron for choices, in most cases. Oysters have the best yield

B's are also covered by things like Parsley, (I thikn the best yield), Beef, Mushrooms, Fortified Cereals etc etc.

Fat Soluables, (A, D, E, K), pretty much most if not all Fat based sources, like Low Fat Cheese, Healthy Oils should have them, Avocados, Nuts. I think A may be in Tomatos, E is in lettuce from memory, as kind of abstract sources.

C is often found in Fruits, Potatos, probably Veggies too. You only need 60mg a day, but you need it as without C you can die. No way for humans to make C.

Carotenoids in certain Fruits, and Legumes and Veggies, Beta-carotene Carotenoid in Carrots is also strangely found in Pistachios :?

You can benefit from things like Copper, Selenium, Tin and Potassium too, Potassium being in Bananas for example, but I'm not au fai with things like Copper Tin and Selenium, but I do know Selenium is found in I think Beef, and also Bison to name two.

Wouldn't eat Bison personally.

On reflection I was pointing out the slight lack of food choices, not the lack of vit/ mineral content. The plan itself will almost certainly cover the bases for Micronutrients, no question, and also for giving people structured accountability, but it's sometimes good to add other things in sometimes as well. So I endorse the ethos, structuring and planning aspects of this, just wanted to mention a few things, regards choices.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

well for most people who want to lose fat, this what they need to do initially...i have not let any of those foods out, i just didn't list them individually
FeeFee
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by FeeFee »

Thanks Swanso.
HOUSTON TEXAN
REGULAR

Post by HOUSTON TEXAN »

This should be stickied.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i agree
Snail
STARTING OUT

Post by Snail »

Definitely a very helpful thread that should be stickied. Thanks swanso
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

STICKY it please
alex_10
STARTING OUT

Post by alex_10 »

Excellent post this one will help me alot
thanks
garza
STARTING OUT

Post by garza »

In the top ten carbohydrates list all the fruits appear to be cold climate fruits. None of them grow where I live and can only be imported, at great expense, dried or tinned. What tropical fruits are best? Just down the street are vendors who sell fresh papaya, banana, plantain, watermelon, oranges, grapefuit, pineapple, and several other common locally grown fruits and all are very cheap. Which ones would be best?
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

Variety is the key ...

And remember, fruits on the first 3 meals max
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

any fruit is good fruit..

grapefruit is great for fat loss for some reason..don't go overboaed on it though...as stated variety