Though People Might Enjoy This

Discuss anything related to dieting, nutrition, recipes and food facts.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Though People Might Enjoy This

Post by Boss Man »

Something copied from a bit of someone elses Sunday Telegraph.

This info is based on a Rugby players lifestyle, but some of it could be applied to other people / sports too, if you wanted to. I've added a few side notes of own along the way.

HOW BEST TO GET STUCK IN

"Basically we're trying to get players to eat like granny told them "say Matt Lovell", "meat, vegetables - good wholesome natural foods, organically grown and minimally processed."

Breakfast Porridge with protein powder and berries - goats's milk; omelette with ham, onion, and mushroom; or meat and veggies.

(Bossman says: If you eat Ham, use things like lean ham or turnkey ham. don't use stuff like Deli or possibly glazed as well. Plus with berries, keep the fruit seperate from the Cereal, to minimise putrifaction, so at least 10-15 minutes pre-cereal, to allow better fruit digestion)

SnacksRecovery drinks, protein powders, nuts and seeds, fruit, cold meats, goji berries, beef jerky, soups.

(Bossman says: Be aware of Jerky, if you get it, it might be a bit salty)

LunchRoast meats, vegetables, lots of differerent ones, peas, greens, salads with protein, nuts, fruit.

DinnerBolognese - with a vegetable base instead of pasta. Thai food, mixed grill with mixed veggie dishes and salad. Best pudding: apple crumble and custard - but only if they've trained really hard.

For nutrition recieps and tips go to http://www.sportsnutritionvlog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EXERCISE FOR "BIG LADS"

Use the cross trainer and the bike in short bursts in the gym. It is not all about bench presses and bicep curls. Bodybuilders do not make great rugby players.

Forwards are combative by nature, so try wrestling and boxing as exercise routines. Also skipping.

Recover properly after a days training. Do not punish yourself with a new regime you cannot sustain, and always have a light day with stretching, swimming and massage.

Gareth Adamson, senioir strength and conditioning coach at Harlequins

THE RIGHT FUEL FOR THE PITCH

Matt lovell's diet tips for the England Rugby team.

1 Drink enough water, green tea or hydration drinks.
Never get thirsty - even a small water loss can impair both mental and physical funtion.

2 Eat every two to three hours, unless you aresleeping.

3 Eat protein at every meal.
Around a quater of your daily intake should come from protein. Eggs, lean meat and fish, peas and beans, nuts and soya.

(Bossman says: You could sometimes include rice and lentils in there too. I think that's okay. Also mushrooms have roughly 50 / 50 protein / carbs, and are very good for B Vits)

4 Eat vegetables or fruit every time you eat, but more veggies than fruit. Aim for four to five servings of vegetables each day, and one to two portions of fruit.

5 Avoid large carbohydrate meals and excess calories which will convert into body fat. Choose whole-grain options. Only eat starchy carbohydrates at breakfast and lunch.

6 Eat whole foods. Stick to low Glycemic index foods - Oats, nuts, seeds, green vegetables - for slow energy release. After training eat high GI foods - Fruit, sugary foods, - which are better for speedy recovery.

(Bossman says :To be honest I don't agree fully with this, as most fruit is low GI, and Oats are at least moderate GI not low, and muscle Glycogen isn't replenished too well with Fruit sugars or any kind of sugar.)

7 Fibre is more than a daily bowl of bran cereal. There is soluable fibre (pulses bananas) and insoluable (vegetables, bran). Fibre can improve bowel health and slow the rate of digestion.

8 Not all fats are bad. Eat the right kind of fat - oily fish, nuts and seeds, olive oil and omega rich eggs.

(Bossman says: you could also include sesame oil, coconut oil in there, as it converts to Medium chain Triglycerides, which are used for energy not fat storage, and for olive oil, cold pressed extra virgin is better than ordinary as it's purer to knowledge.)

9 Try to avoid "empty" foods which contain calories, but no goodness, such as doughnuts. Avoid substances that deprive the body of more nutrients than they provide: smoking, alcohol, caffeine and salt.

(Bossman says: You do need Salt obviously in your diet, but it is best to eat low salt foods, and don't add salt to food too much if at all)

10 Enjoy your foods and practice the 90:10 rule. If you are strict with your diet 90% of the time, you can be "naughty" 10% of the time.
Last edited by Boss Man on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Hey bossman, good info! Perhaps this could go to a sticky with the other diet and nutrition sticky we like people to read. Great, easy to read, and very informative.

Cheers
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Had thought about that when I posted it, but I've taken your lead and done it.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Thanks bossman, its always great to have people read the info for themselves, it seems to help them more. Having it "stuck" makes it easier for us to reference to! :wink:

Cheers
Boopster
REGULAR

Post by Boopster »

Excellent Information Boss Man :D
Seminole
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Seminole »

Thanks for the info I am always looking to improve diet I am getting there slowly but surely and have lost 11 LBS in just over 4 weeks thanks to the help of others on this site
skully
REGULAR

Re: Though People Might Enjoy This

Post by skully »

When they say 10% being naughty, what does it mean? 10% in a day? or in a week?
I personally find the balance works more than a strict diet...I'm just getting back into shape and exercise after being lazy for over 7 months...even tho I had very little screw ups so far, I already lost some weight.

screw up for the day was:

2-mini Hershey square choco. Probably about 150 cals in total (not a big fan of choco btw, but hey a lil chocolate a day is not bad!)
and ONE sip of mountain dew... as opposed to drinkin about 500ml a day just one week ago.

But this is a good post, and it helps planning own meals.
FitnessGoals
STARTING OUT

Post by FitnessGoals »

Thanks! These are wonderful guidelines! I’m sure that, like me, many of you are looking for healthy recipes to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Sorry the site you posted has a store, therefore the question of whether the site was posted for the benefit of us or you, rears its head, plus you might get negative comments about your actions, so to avoid this, the site cannot remain linked to.

Feel free to continue contributing if you wish, just dont post the link :).
danbinder
STARTING OUT

Post by danbinder »

Awesome post! I would like to think I am doing most of these things but there are definitely a few that I will be implementing as soon as this week. Such a great, well rounded list. I wrote up something today on a delicious breakfast that I cooked up today. Not a direct link but I actually think this meal hits on a good amount of the top 10 listed in the initial post for Matt Lovell's diet tips. Check out the post here http://distinctfitness.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recap of how Matt's points work into just this one meal:

Point 3 - This meal has a good amount of protein from the eggs
Point 4 - includes atleast a serving or two of vegetables
Point 7 - includes a large % of the daily fiber you need
Point 8 - we threw in some avocado on top of this thing for a great source of healthy fat
Point 10 - perhaps most important, this meal was delicious and we enjoyed it!

Hope you enjoy and let me know if you try!
Jentry07
STARTING OUT

Post by Jentry07 »

These are great guidelines! I love the idea of porridge and protein powder, I've never thought of that! I will have to give it try! Thanks again for your insight Boss Man!
dance4fitness
STARTING OUT

Post by dance4fitness »

Thanks for the info!
mayanatsume
STARTING OUT

Post by mayanatsume »

By the way, will share this info i got from friend, she said, before meal time, she is doing EFT. She said it's great for people who are undergoing diet. She learned EFT in this site http://eft.mercola.com/
LJBaker79
STARTING OUT

Post by LJBaker79 »

Thanks for all the info!
malandi87
STARTING OUT

Post by malandi87 »

Thank you very much boss man. I love the info. I just want to ask if these diets and exercises also available for ladies?