Pro-anorexia Websites.

Discuss tips and advice for losing body fat.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Pro-anorexia Websites.

Post by Boss Man »

Well firstly, I want to point out I am not an expert on Eating Disorders and I am not going to preach about Eating Disorders either, or lecture people with an . That is not the point of this post.

I will start also by saying to anyione who has an E D, or has had an E D, nothing I say here is meant to patronise, belittle, or offend anyone of you. If I inadvertanly do that, I will apologise right now in full, because this subject is touchy, personal to some and highly sensitive, but one that I feel must be addressed.

If you are someone who believes you have a relative, child, or knows someone who might be using such harcore Anorexia sites that promote starvation, vomiting etc etc, this is something you should read too.

I would however firstly like to say, to anyone reading this who has one, or is recovering from one, whether you're a member or just a guest reader, that I am very, very happy that you are reading this and perhaps a member of this site. This is a positive step you have made and I really want to tell you all, I am very proud of you coming here and being any part of this site and I want you to know you all have fullest respect and as much understanding as a non - E D person can have.

Pro Anorexia websites, the hardcore ones encourage starving, vomiting, high exercise on zero calories, etc etc and they are killing people with an E D.

Do I think the owners of these hardcore sites have an E D? No I don't think some of them do, otherwise they might end up eventually dying from one and then have no way to continue peddling their mind control propoganda, on people who are vulnerable targets.

The problem is very deep rooted, and whilst in France many of these sites have been targeted for abolishment, by state law, other countries don't do this and must.

The problem also is so deep set, that some people will defend their right to starve and harm themselves very strongly, almost certainly as a byproduct of mental conditioning on these hardcore sites.

This is an example of how bad the problem can get.

Click Here

Unless more is done to reverse this trend, many people with the potential to become wonderful people and great members of society, will live hellish lives, believing it's normal and WILL almost envitably eventually die young and in many cases alone and with no one who cared about them.

humble belief is, Anorexia is not the persons fault, it's a side effect of other things like homelife and school life, shaping a persons view of their bodies.

It also doesn't help that the media promotes images, of celebrities with mediocre to zero levels of talent, just so we can supposedly see what they wear, how they look and what their new Nose and Breasts look like.

If you think you might be living with an Anorexic child, who might be using such sites, or think you know someone with such a child, I believe there are potential signs or ways to help someone, if you believe you are living with someone who uses such sites and their awful advice.

Q. Does the child often use the bathroom, or go to the toilet after meals?

A. They may be throwing up on purpose.

Q. Does the child often go to a friends house to hang out, but often use the bathroom, or go to the toilet pretty soon after arriving? Do you know what your child does there?

A. They may be friends with someone who isn't necessarily pro-ana, but they do this, to avoid you finding out what they do.

Q. In the last few years, has it taken longer for your child to go up in clothes sizes?

A. Your child might be using Pro-ana type advise, and affecting their development, meaning some of their clothes may remain the same size for longer than normal, because they don't grow out of them as quickly.

Q. Do you give your child money for food and they come home and still have the money?

A. They may be making excuses why they couldn't find time to eat, to hide the fact they didn't eat on purpose, like saying a Lunch time school club went on for too long, or when they got to the canteen they were the last lot to get there and all the good food had gone.

Q. Does your child come home with small purchases, that looks like they have spent Lunch money on other things, so as to avoid spending it on food they never planned to eat?

A. This might happen if they suddenly start coming home with small collectable items, like little tiny animals or something ike that. They might want to distract you from their problem with food, by making you think they're into something, because having a hobby of some kind is always a good thing right?

Another possibility is, after evening meals, your child may find a secluded place to go with a friend and possibly throw up, where no one will see, except the friend, or they may do it in school toilets, or when they get to school, to regurgitate their breakfast.

I actually typed in the word pro and anorexic into Google and found some sites as easily as that.

If your childs computer has parental controls, then I suggest you google such sites and put the sites into a blocked list, then password protect that list, so they can't unblock them.

You can find a list of such sites on something, I think it was called Surfring.

This will help cut off their means, of getting the wrong type of support and adivce. It's a harsh thing to do, but if you care about them, you cannot let them continue being brainwashed with false ideologies and negative body propaganda.

Also don't use passwords for a blocked site list, they might be able to recognise, like your date of birth, your house name, a Star Wars character, as blocking their access to such sites, might be good, but if they hack into the list and unblock those sites, your attempts to help will be undone without you even knowing.

As stated before, I am not trying to sound authoratitive on such matters, or offend anybody with an E D, but this subject needs more attention across the net, or many people who run the hardcore pro ana sites, will exploit, harm and potentially kill vulnerable young people, who need, help, care and understanding to recover from an E D, not die from it.

GOOD LUCK :).
Christopheel
REGULAR

Post by Christopheel »

As always, really interesting reading Boss.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Something I should have mentioned which is, the sites listed on Surfring, if anyone had a child with an E D, and was considering blocking such sites, they should check the content first, as some Pro-ana sites, have a bad rep, because of the hardcore sites, that tell people bad advise, and not all pro-ana sites are like that, some are support forums, to help people recover.
JNicole2009
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: Pro-anorexia Websites.

Post by JNicole2009 »

Boss Man wrote:
humble belief is, Anorexia is not the persons fault, it's a side effect of other things like homelife and school life, shaping a persons view of their bodies.

I am glad that you wrote this part especially. Many do have a belief that eating disorders are just because someone wants to lose weight and it is all food related. The main point in CONTROL. Personally, I had a traumatic experience and mother was very controlling and some other situations. Food was only control in out of control life. The pro-ana sites are everywhere. They can be found on youtube as well. The videos show very small girls and their transitions from thin to thinner as well as the celebs who have the same issues. I have seen many of the pro-ana websites and they are exactly what you've described. The girls are sharing secrets and ways to encourage others to hold on to the disorder. They do need to be stopped. The nation is so consumed in image and there is an increase in the disorder every year. Unfortunately, the internet is so large that it would be hard to outlaw the sites :/ All that anyone can do is encourage anyone who they believe or know to be struggling to look for help, either from a nutritionist and/or psychologist. Mine have helped me tremendously. Be as supportive to recovery as possible and understand that this is a battle just like alcoholism and won't be overcome quickly.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Thank you for your insight, and words. I know that it must still be difficult for you even now, to completely be rid of the emotions that affected you, but I know you are doing really well to overcome it, and move on, and you ahould be very, very proud of yourself.

Your recent pics say so much about how far you've come in this short timeframe :).
JNicole2009
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by JNicole2009 »

You are too kind friend :) Couldn't have done it without ya!
ilurvebroccoli
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by ilurvebroccoli »

I was addicted to these sites as well for a couple years. They are very dangerous. I didn't have an eating disorder, but for some reason got very intrigued by them. They sucked me in, and it took me a long time to get out of their grasp. I'm very glad you posted this. I hope it helps people.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You don't have to tell me, but would you be willing to elaborate, on what effect the sites had on you, as you say it wasn't for some kind of answers to an eating problem.

As I say it's your personal circumstances, so you must be 100% conmfortable talking about it, it's just that you described why you used them, in a way that's not typical of most people that's all.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I was bulimic in high school for a few years and found myself attracted to these sites. They are very dangerous for anyone with body issues because it seems to slowly seep into your consciousness. I found myself more likely to purge after reading these sites, so it became a ritual of sorts to read them in order to make myself purge. I'm fully recovered from that lifestyle now. I still may have a spare thought here or there, but I keep myself in check. Looking back I can equate it similarly to alcoholism or any other addiction. The urge may always be there when I don't expect it, but I have the skills and emotional capacity now to realize how incorrect those thought patterns are how detrimental they could be to health.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That's great to know you overcame the issues surrounding such websites Jen. Thank you for sharing. You are proof that salvation can come from yourself and that it doesn't have to be from others intervening.

You should be very proud of yourself, for how you have changed your life around in that respect and It makes me feel that you can be a rolemodel to others, in a similar situation to yours.

Keep smiling and keep posting more positive insights and support. Your actions here so far, have been very warm, positive and kind. and it is appreciated :).
Verity45
STARTING OUT

Post by Verity45 »

I think this post is really good, it goes to very important points. I too have visited for while these pages but luckily I could realise it wasn´t at all the best way to lose weight, stay fit or just being healthy even with some extra pounds. They are very tricky, they are made to vulnerable people to make them become even more in danger. It got to a poit I realised that they were winning huge power over me and I just didn´t want to be controlled like that. Thank God I could distinguish borders! That´s why I really found your posting very apropriated and needed.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'm glad you saw the true side to weight loss and not the starve and be sick B.S. that sick mind abusers like to use on people.
jordy91
STARTING OUT

Post by jordy91 »

The most popular, and in mind, worst site for EDs was one I was (sadly) apart of awhile ago. Pretty Thin it was called.

It is run by a man named James who just revealed his identity. Girls of all ages will message him for support- wrong? I think so.
There are forums, competitions, photos, its self harming to the maximum. Most of these girls have been raped and talk about this in relation to their eating.. all any one does is encourage them to starve or purge.. Some girls talk about how they hear 'Ana' or 'Mia' - girls who show them the way to this choice of weight loss....
The worst are the 'wannarexics' - girls who do not have a mental disorder or underlying issue that has caused this health problem- these girls hurt themselves this way to be involved insomething- this is the saddest....

I heard of a worst site, this site is private. If you weigh over 98lbs they kick you out. So I never got an invite to it thank the lord.

Parents- friends- watch what your kids do on the net and if you ever see sites with emaciated bodies of mutilated (wrist slashing) PLEASE ban the site on your security settings!!! And help them !!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well said. The people who run these sites are emotionally abusing people and encouraging self harm. They are sick and need to be stopped. Anorexia is not good, but when it's promoted by brainwashing people and abusing vlunerable girls, it becomes something really disturbing.

If the law of most western countries does not permit strong punishments for such site owners then such countries should reconsider and fast.
Leonardo84
STARTING OUT

Post by Leonardo84 »

I'm not an expert on this subject, but i'll give 2 (or more) cents.

To change your life for better, first, you must love yourself. Even if you're overweight you must love who you are, think positive, if your weight is a bit or even too much over your ideal weight and you are already aware of this, take a look in the mirror and say "I need and will do something about this for own sake." always with a positive attitude.

This might be kind of rude to say, but people who encourage this kind of thing, did they ever asked real starving people how do they feel? Ever asked how much YOU are lucky to have good meals everyday? Of course eating bad food can be and will be hazardous to your body, I know that much.

If you still think I'm talking BS, go ahead and read ShapeFit.com success stories, you'll be inspired and amazed on how much all those men and women believed themselves and changed their lives for a greater good, their health. ShapeFit.com has been the greatest thing I've found on the internet, ever. I just love to read the success stories over and over and it just keeps me going on and on. Cheers~