Work In Progress - FitoverForty

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fitoverforty
VETERAN

Work In Progress - FitoverForty

Post by fitoverforty »

This is just another step I need to take to stay on track with fitness and weight loss goals.
A long time ago there was a young girl who was an athlete, the top in her class, fastest runner in high school. She held her high school record in the 440 yd. dash and in the long jump. That young girl was me and now even tho it is 30 years and 30+ pounds later I still feel like her inside. This is journey to recapture as much of that girl as I can. Tho' I may not ever be that fast or thin again, I hope I can be the BEST I can be for who I am today.
I have a long way to go, but one thing I never lost was determination and drive. It may have gotten buried in the process of "life" but it is still a big part of who I am. So for those of you who may feel a bit like me, I am here to say that it is never too late to go after your goals and dreams, no matter what they may be. :D

Starting weight: 166
Goal weight: 140
Dream weight: 125

Today: Ran 3.0 treadmill
1st mile 6.2 mph
2nd mile 7.0 mph
3rd mile alternated every .25 mile 6 mph / 7 mph
Finishing time: 27:42

2 sets of 50 ab crunches
2 sets 25 bicycle crunches

weights tomorrow
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

You know those RED safty latches they put on treadmills? Those were put there especially for me when I do 6.8 mph for 30 secs!!

Wow! You've still got it girl friend! I talk seconds you talk miles!! :):)

There was a post somewhere, maybe in Open Chat, where someone wanted to be like they were at 21. I don't think I responded but if I did it would be to say, never look back, we truly are better today than we were way back then......I was maybe 110 lbs, now 168 (plus whaever I gained this past week)and I honestly feel I look better today! I admit I need to lose more weight, but goal is 150-160 I'll be happy I think at 160.

You look great! You are dedicated and determined to take care of yourself - eat right, exercise, weight train - you are doing all the right things - you are and will be the best ever!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Hi Lu! Thanks so much for the pep talk and encouragement :D :D
I appreciate and understand what you mean about "never look back" and I do know that to try to be the same as I was when I was 17 or 18 is unrealistic. What I hope to accomplish is to once and for all finally go through and achieve goals for this point in life. You are so right when you say that "we are truly better today than we were way back then". And I don't know about you but.....I appreciate it all so much more now than I did in the past! I read a quote once (in fact I have a poster of it on the wall beside treadmill) that says "Success doesn't come to you...you go to it" I still have athletic dreams and goals I want to accomplish... and alot of times in the past I think I expected great results from half baked efforts, and that is just not good enough anymore. I am hoping to complete first full marathon in the coming year....and am laying the ground work for that now.
I think it was Swanso that said in another post that "you get fit to run, not run to get fit" and I had a hard time accepting that, but now I get it and understand what he was talking about. And after I get that marathon under belt....next up is (drumroll please) IRONMAN!!! That would be the ultimate dream :D
I am SO thankful to have found this site, and I know that staying connected to this site and having all the advice, encouragement and occasional kick in the butt from all shapefit friends is what I am gonna need to keep me on track!! :D :D
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

We will be here for you! Keep it up and don’t give up…
It will be a struggle but you will feel good hearing people compliment you and it will make you work even harder!!!
You are a great person and you have that determination… so I know you can DO IT!

Just like Lu… you talk about miles… I can only do seconds!
It takes me about 45mins to go 3 miles plus…. :cry:
So…It’s best I do Intervals for 25mins… :P

Keep up posted on your first full marathon :D
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Today I am feeling strong overall. Legs a bit tired from yesterday's tempo/HIIT run.

All weight workouts done on a Weider Pro 4100 Home Gym (maximum weight lift is 106 lbs.)

4 x 10 bench press @ 44lbs.
2 x 25 weighted ab crunches - 44lbs.
2 x 25 leg extensions - 44 lbs.
2 x 25 lat pull downs - 44 lbs.
2 x 25 tricep pulldowns - 31 lbs.
2 x 20 leg press - 106 lbs.

2 sets of planks holding opposing arm and legs out for 10 seconds each
(first time I have tried this, OUCH...harder than I anticipated! :shock: )
But well worth it.

Back to cardio and floor exercises tomorrow! :D

Any advice or tips would be welcomed...weights are not strong point, do not have as much experience with it.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Thanks Nokie for the encouraging words!! It does feel good to be complimented, it can make the difference some days when you just don't feel like working out. Just a little extra push is all we need sometimes, or just knowing that someone out there is cheering you on :D

I was pretty tired today...had a long physically hard workday, so I didn't know how well workout was going to go. But ended up having a really good run. Ever notice how when you feel tired and make yourself start your workout, you end up having a great workout! And then on days when you feel really strong and pumped up the minute you start your workout it becomes a struggle just to get through it! Wonder why that is?

Treadmill: 3.0 miles
1st mile: 9:42
2nd mile: 19:19
3rd mile: 28:04
Tried to steadily increase the pace each mile. Last mile did pick ups every .25 mile ranging from 6.5 mph to 8.0 mph.

2 x 50 ab crunches (floor exercise)
2 x 25 bicycle crunches (floor exercise)
1 x 20 leg lifts (floor exercise) this one hurt back, could only do one set. Hopefully it is only because I had a hard day and was really worn out :(
Last edited by fitoverforty on Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Today is a light workout, upper body weights and floor exercises. Saving up for a hard workout in the a.m. (before I weigh in :shock: )

2 x 30 Lat pull downs @ 44lbs.
2 x 25 tri ceps press downs @ 31 lbs.
2 x 10 Bent Rows @ 18lbs.
2 x 20 Bench Press @ 44lbs.
2 x 20 weighted pulley ab crunches @ 44lbs.

2 x 50 ab crunches (floor)
2 x 25 leg lifts (floor)

Still feel energized, but saving it for tomorrow.

Nervous and excited about weighing and taking measurements tomorrow. I haven't weighed or taken measurements in 2 weeks, so I am hoping for at least 2 or 3 lbs, but mostly looking for inches lost.

Haven't quite got the diet thing down yet. I'm not getting enough protein, and probably not enough calories...averaging about 1600 to 1700 calories a day. It is still hard to convince myself that more calories will lead to weight loss...always believed that the fewer calories the more weight lost, but am really trying hard to do it the right way this time. Old habits and mindsets are hard to break :cry:

Hope to report back with good news tomorrow! Keep a positive attitude!! :D
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Hi Lynn!

Have you considered fewer reps and increasing weights gradually? That's what was recommended to me early on - for example I do 3 or 4 sets of 8 reps of lat pulldowns worked up to 60 lbs. single arm rows I only do 5 reps - but pull 40 lb DBs (I need to increase now)They say when you can complete the # of reps faily easily you should increase the weight. You seem to do LOTS of reps - 20 - 50. max is 12. Maybe higher reps are better for you with your goals as you need endurance for the marathon?

I haven't seen Swanso out there lately, but maybe he or someone else can elaborate on this - the pros and cons.

I'll be back on track next week - friend Jean is going to join a sister club and has asked me to help her. It's nice that people see the results you get and it encourages them to do the same. I can't wait to see her smile!

You're doing great! I look forward to your results!

Take care
Lu
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Thanks Lu for your input. I am worried that only having this home gym system (all pulley weight based) is "helping" me, so I am able to do more reps. When I had gym membership (had to cancel it this year, economy issues :cry: ) I had alot better system and using the nautilus and free weights.
Although this evening I could barely crank out the 2 sets of 20 bench presses (seated, pushing out forward) @ 44lbs. it was really hard, as were the weighted ab crunches. That may be in part to another hard day at work, lifting and stacking 50 lb boxes (one of the many hats I wear at work) :? The lat pulldowns (behind back) seemed too easy @ 44lbs.
So, yes, I would welcome any input as to how to work this home gym (Weider Pro 4100) to best advantage. I need upper body and core strength to prepare for marathon. :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Yes am a bit like u, I'm fortyfive & to be honest I've never been in better shape than I am right now & hey, along with the bodies, we have the minds of women in our forties, which personally Id not trade for youth ;) Btw swanso is correct, it has taken me approximately 15 months of training, before I had to hootspa to attempt jogging (thnk fear held me bk, prob coulda tried it sooner) cos unlike u in highschool, I feigned illness etc, cos of weight issues.Within a month, Ive built up to abt 3 miles continuous of jogging, tho also on swanso's postings, decided to take up the HIIT challenge, which leaves me exhausted, but feelin good.So wish u ladies all the best in your journey :)
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Yes, Bonnie the wisdom I have acquired over the years from life experiences I would not trade for anything. I'm a much happier and peaceful person than i was in twenties or thirties :)
Good job on 3 mile jogging goal, keep it up! You will find that the more of the HIIT you do, the easier and stronger your 3 mile run will become.

So, I decide for morning run I would venture outside and run a 3 mile out n back hilly course. Keep in mind for the last month I have only run inside nice air conditioned house on cushioned treadmill (the incline is broken so no hill work) with a huge ceiling fan and a box fan blowing on me. If I even had a drop of sweat bead up on me it would have been wisked away and evaporated by the sheer force of wind! So outside this a.m. it was hot, and muggy, no breeze with a humidity of about 120%! It actually rained just after I finished running. It hasn't rained here in 3 months!!! I was a dripping, sweaty mess by the time I finished. I prided myself on the fact that I sprinted the last 50 yards (or to the casual onlooker more of a stumbling, awkward, thrashing spectacle barely resembling a run let alone a sprint!) but in mind I'm picturing me crossing that Olympic finish line winning the gold medal (Senior Olympics):lol::lol:

Okay, now for the results of weight in:
Drumroll please (how many of you will actually tap out a little drum roll for me? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Weight: 164.5 (1.5 lbs lost)
1/2 inch lost in chest, waist & hips

Not going to freak out and panic thinking it should have been more. I am happy with it, like journal title says "Work in Progress", so I know it can't all happen overnight.
Have a great weekend everybody!! :D :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Lmfao @ the description of the sprint :D I'm sure u looked fine. I hear u tho, is incline on the trail @ park, to others it looks like nothin, to quads, each time I approached it, might as well of been a mountain.As for the sweat, uh huh, everyday now, Ive resigned to bein soaked through.Ive not had a run this week, except 10 mins before weights & HIIT, so will try & have one this weekend.Did u notice when u ventured outside that is harder than treadmill ? Cos u arent being motivate by belt & thoughts of smackin into a wall behind ;) Is harder to propell yourself, was thoughts anyway.Congrats on the 1.5 lb loss.I hit a plateau, of sorts with mine, with the new program & cardio, will hopefull burn off those annoyin pockets of diehard fat soon tho.How much have u lost so far & when did u start ?Hope u have a good run tomorrow also, tc.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Yes, I think that running outside on the roads and trails is harder on your body than the treadmill. The treadmill requires balance and you definately are at the mercy of the belt, but you also have the option of "holding on" and taking some of the pressure off your legs. I tend to run faster when I run on the treadmill, that is why I like to do HIIT on it and save longer regular runs for outside.
Yes I also have resigned myself to sweating buckets when I workout and run...whoever said that women don't sweat like men needs to spend a workout with me! I call it "slinging sweat". That is when I am really in the zone, running hard and literally slinging sweat off the tips of fingers with every armstroke :D :D
I joined this site in April of this year and kind of hung around in the background absorbing info and asking questions and learning alot. I was already running, but really hadn't committed myself to a total overhaul of workout and eating habits. But on June 22 I stepped on the scale and it said 170 lbs. OMG! Talk about a wake up call. I was sick. I decided that day NO MORE EXCUSES! I began to really clean up eating and starting incorporating weights, upper body strength building and running. So as of today - in a little less than one month - I have lost 5.5 lbs and 1.5" from chest, waist and hips. Just gettin' started! :D But if feels good to be back in the fight!
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Wow, your profile says uve been runnin for 20 yrs ? Must have quite the developed leg muscle :) I use the elliptical trainer for HIIT, one day Ill try the treadmill, maybe, runnin is still new to me.Yes eatin habits r I think the most essential part of maintaining healthy body, literally the sayin " we are what we eat " comes to mind, tho ive oversensitized body, it will no longer allow me to eat any junkfood, because it forgot how to metabolize fat & sugar :| I wish when Id lost the weight, Id of kept a journal such as your doin, tho I averaged abt 4 lbs per month, I was weighed at nutritionist office monthly, so u r ahead at 5.5 ! Be happy abt that indeed :) Dont think weve a choice what parts shrink, as in measurments, think I lost most of chest, lol...as if was much to lose, I know measurements didnt recede as quickly as yours r, so u must be doin a good job & keep up the fight :)
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Hey Lynn,
Just catching up on ur log from VAC. Sounds like some awesome goals ahead. Thats gr8. It is a different mindset, basically you don't stop eating it's changing WHAT you eat, and how often. Eating every 3 hours is interesting, I think I feel more full than eating 3 big meals, and also the energy level is more consistent. Reall cool. Keep up the gr8 work. You can do it :D