Rich's Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Rich's Journal

Post by richs »

I am 35, (obviously), and weight 202.4lbs. starting weight was 218.6 over a month ago. I am married and the wife and I have 3 kids. I started out on a bad diet and lost a lot of weight quick but then found this website and changed to eating healthy and working out. I am doing a split routine 4 days a week and am seeing results. Weight loss is 2lbs a week and weights are going up considerably. Been working out for 3 weeks now. It feels like I am going to stick with this so I thought it would be good to post it here. I took some "before" pictures and will post them up once I get some good "after" pictures".

I have changed program and this is where it stands:

Mon-Chest/Back
Tue-Legs
Wed-1 hour 3.8mph walk on treadmill, 5 degree incline
Thu-Shoulders/abs/ .5 hour walking on treadmill post workout
Fri-Arms/.5 hour on recumbant bike
Sat-HIIT 20-30 min on treadmill
Sun-off

I will post up a diet journal with this as well.
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: Rich's Journal

Post by richs »

12/31-202.2lbs

Diet
7:00-4 egg whites, small glass V8, piece of double fiber whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter, flax seed oil and glass of water
9:30-Protein Shake
12:00-salad with apples/oranges/chicken/balsamic vinnegar
2:30-greek yogurt
5:00-wild salmon with 3 cups green beans
8:00-low fat/low sugar yogurt

Exercise-gym was closed
At home ab workout
20min HIIT on treadmill
brodrick1us
STARTING OUT

Post by brodrick1us »

Congradulations on the success you had so far up to this point. Im just getting started and on first week so I hope to be where your at in a couple of weeks. Good Job!
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

Thanks, the first two weeks are the hardest. After that the cravings go away as well as the soreness. I even look forward to working out now. Keep us posted on your progress!!
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

1/1-202.4lbs

7:00-4 Omega 3 egg whites, kashi oatmeal, glass of V8
9:30- no fat greek yogurt and handful of almonds
12:00-2 tillapia fillets and 2 cups broccoli
2:00-1 pc double fiber toast with natural peanut butter
4:30-10oz Venison steak and salad
7:30-no fat greek yogurt

1 Hour on treadmill 3.7mph 4 incline (500 cal)
Last edited by richs on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Hi Rich! Welcome!!This is definitely the place to be! Everyone here is very supportive and we have some resident experts (as well as the rest of us in the same boat you are in!) who will undoubtedly give you some great suggestions. Your diet looks great! Most here support the M-W-F weight training and Cardio Tu/Thur/Sat with a day off on Sunday - sometimes Thurs off too. Of course we are all different and need to listen to our bodies and work with equipment that we do or don't have!

I partied a little last night so I'm still on the mend today - but I normally post almost every day. I look forward to sharing your success!

Lu
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

Thanks Lu! Gym was closed the last two days so I will be doing arms and shoulders tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back on schedule next week. Good luck on your continued success, I will be following your progress as well. Good luck 2010!!
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

Since there does not seem to be a time limit on editing posts I will keep adding as the day progresses:

1/2-201.4lbs

6:30-4 omega egg whites, glass of V8, whole wheat waffle with natural peanut butter and flax oil
8:00-workout
9:30-Protein Shake, 1pc wheat toast with natural peanut butter
11:45-2 fillets wild alaska Pollock, salad with low fat dressing
3:00-no fat Greek yogurt, tbs of natural peanut butter
4:45-8oz wild salmon and 2 cups steamed broccoli
7:00-chicken breast-at a party, all they had :(
9:00-protein shake

Workout

Shoulders:
4 sets Millitary dumbell press 6-8 reps
4 sets upright barbell raise 6-8 reps

Triceps:
4 sets dips 8-10 reps
4 sets cable pushdowns (rope) 6-8 reps

Biceps:
4 sets standing dumbell curls 6-8 reps
4 sets preacher curls (machine) 8-10 reps-lower weight slow and focused movement=HUGE BURN :)

10 minutes on recumbant bike-not a lot of time, got to much to do today :(

Side note: Did Scott Herman's "be a 10 in 2010" holiday ab workout two days ago and holy crap am I feeling it today! entire mid section is sore, feels GREAT!!
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

1/3-201.4lbs

7:00-4 omega egg whites (one yolk), glass of V8, 1 pc double fiber toast with natural peanut butter
10:30-Greek yogurt
12:15-tillapia fillet, 2 cups broccolli
3:00-peanut butter/jelly sandwich (low sugar jelly, double fiber bread, natural peanut butter)
3:30-sandwich tasted so good, had another :(
5:15-8oz venison, 3 cups green beans
7:00-protein shake

Workout:
Today was off day so I just relaxed with beautiful wife and watched football.
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

richs wrote:1/3-201.4lbs

7:00-4 omega egg whites (one yolk), glass of V8, 1 pc double fiber toast with natural peanut butter
10:30-Greek yogurt
12:15-tillapia fillet, 2 cups broccolli
3:00-peanut butter/jelly sandwich (low sugar jelly, double fiber bread, natural peanut butter)
3:30-sandwich tasted so good, had another :(
5:15-8oz venison, 3 cups green beans
7:00-protein shake

Workout:
Today was off day so I just relaxed with beautiful wife and watched football.
I just had venison last night. So good, I took some out for tomorrow. :D
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

It is good, and good for you! This was last batch :( Back to fish and chicken I guess...
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

1/4-201.2lbs

6:15-3 omrga egg whites, glass of V8, peanut butter and jelly sandwich (double fiber bread, natural peanut butter, zero sugar jelly)
9:30-peanut butter and jelly sandwich (double fiber bread, natural peanut butter, zero sugar jelly)
12:00-salad, chicken breast
2:45-greek yogurt
3:30-workout
4:30-protein shake
5:15-wild salmon fillet, 2 cups green beans
6:30-peanut butter and jelly sandwich (double fiber bread, natural peanut butter, zero sugar jelly)-I am addicted :(
7:30-protein shake-going to bed early

workout:
Chest
4 sets 6-8 reps incline dumbell press
4 sets 6-8 reps seated chest press (free weight machine)
4 sets 8-10 reps machine butterflies

Back
4 sets 6-8 reps straight bar rows
4 sets 6-8 reps reverse grip pulldowns
4 sets 10-12 reps lower back extensions

I was not feeling 100% today so I took it a little easy but still had a great workout. Feeling better now and will be going to bed early. People are really starting to notice now, sure is a good feeling!
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

1/5-201.0lbs! Only one pound left to break that 200lb mark (Getting excited)

6:30-4 omega egg whites, 2 cups green beans, 1pc whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter
9:30-greek yogurt, 12 almonds
12:00-salad, protein shake
2:30-peanut butter/jelly sandwich, clementine
3:30-workout
4:15-protein shake
5:45-2 tillapia fillets, 2 cups broccolli
7:30-peanut butter/jelly sandwich, 1pc low fat string cheese
9:30-protein shake

Workout
legs:
4 sets squats (smith machine) 8 reps
4 sets seated leg press 8-10 reps
4 sets seated leg curls 8-12 reps
Last edited by richs on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

Hi there!

First of all... Awesome job so far!

Second... Have you thought about increasing protein in meal one? 3 eggwhites is only about 9-11 grams of protein. If I were you I would be shooting for 200-300 grams of protein per day (shoot for closer to 300 if youre trying to build muscle). At 6 meals a day this is 33-50 grams protein per meal. At 7 meals a day 29-43, at 8 meals 25-38. I would definitely have one whole egg each day with breakfast. I actually have 1 whole egg and 5-7 eggwhites with breakfast and i'm a 135lb female. :)

The peanut butter sandwiches are fine but I think i would be careful with eating too many of them. Not sure how much protein is in the bread but 1 tbsn peanut butter only has about 3.5 grams. You may want to add protein to that meal or simply have a lunch meat or tuna sandwich. I see you like greek yogurt!?! I'm a huge fan! Have you tried mixing in a bit of natural peanut butter and a little bit of sweetener (i use stevia). YUM! Sometimes I'll even throw a few berried in or chop up and apple in their. Its pretty tasty.

Workouts... how long have you been doing this split? I've had great success with full body workouts (stick to compound exercises), and upper body lower body splits (works well when your lifting 4 days per week).

Youre doing great and you definitely seem to be on the right track! Keep it up!

Cassie :)
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

Cassie, I was hoping you or Bossman would chime in! Thanks for the kind words, it is a learning experience for sure. Thanks for the tips, they are GREATLY appreciated. Here are thoughts:

I was under the impression that there was 6 grams of protein per egg white. I will definitely up that per your advice and throw in a yolk as well. I will look at diet again and try to get more protein in there at all the meals.

goal is to be 10% body fat and somewhere between 175-190lbs. The 10% body fat is the most important.

Greek yogurt friggin rocks! I tried the vanilla and blueberry. I like the blueberry better but never thought about adding the peanut butter for taste. I did try adding bannana cream protein powder and that ended up in the garbage. I will give the peanut butter a try.

As for the split routine, I was brought up on these back 15 years ago and have been doing this one for only a few weeks. This is the first weight lifting I have done in the last 14 years. I have never done the full body but am curious. Right now weights are going up extremely fast but I might switch at the first plateau. I will ask more questions about it at that time.

Thanks again for posting and please let me know if you see something that needs improvement. You will start seeing the increased protein at first meal home from work tonight!