First and foremost, proper education is key and it’s the primary reason I’ve been successful in slowing down the way my body ages. I always keep myself humble and I’m constantly looking for things that can improve my overall health and fitness. In addition, I always try to become more educated on every aspect of this industry each year.
I have surrounded myself with a proactive medical team which is also a huge benefit as I age. My doctors are committed to be proactive and helping me prevent issues versus reacting to medical issues that might occur. Besides a good diet and regular exercise, I get my hormone levels tested 3 times per year to make sure my testosterone and other hormones are at optimum levels for my body and my overall health. I’ve been on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for 7 years now and have seen some amazing results! HRT has many anti-aging properties such as improving skin, hair growth, lean muscle development, improved sleep and a more relaxed mental state, just to name a few.
I have used several other anti-aging products such as Sermorelin and IGF-1LR3 and have been getting some amazing results from them also. I will discuss this topic in detail a little later in this article. Utilizing these anti-aging products have elevated my testosterone levels and also have increased my human growth hormone (HGH) levels. I now have a more fit, lean and muscular physique at almost 60 years of age than I did in my twenties! I get goose bumps just writing about this very exciting topic and it’s my pleasure to share this information with all of the loyal ShapeFit.com readers.
I really hope this article inspires and motivates all those middle-aged people out there. Older individuals can control how they age and live an active and healthy lifestyle. It does takes hard work, dedication and it involves education and some research as well as finding a clinic that specializes in anti-aging and hormone therapy, but trust me, it will all be well worth it!
In this article I’ll be discussing my strategy as well as the specific products I utilize in my personal quest for the fountain of youth. I am intrigued by many of the peptide products on the market, and most importantly, extremely excited with the results I’ve been getting!
Before I get into this very exciting topic of slowing down the aging process, I want to clarify that I do not represent any of the products involved. I am a former corporate executive that got involved in living a healthy lifestyle at the age of 50. I didn’t like how I looked or felt and decided to do something about it. For some reason I chose bodybuilding as a way out. Almost 10 years later, it’s obvious to others that I’ve made myself much younger through this type of lifestyle. I am also a certified nutritionist and a master trainer and have placed in 18 major bodybuilding championships.
In my most recent contest, I was the oldest guy ever to place in the “classic physique” division which was held in Las Vegas, Nevada. I am only 10 months away from reaching the age of 60 and I feel amazing! I’ll be competing in several bodybuilding championships within the next year which include the NPC West Coast Bodybuilding Championships. I will be celebrating my 60th birthday by competing in the 60, 50 and 40-year-old divisions in Las Vegas as well as the 35 and over “classic physique” division. I’m confident I’ll win a couple of championships in Las Vegas! My main goal is to have pictures of me taken as a 60-year-old that look better than any other time in my life!
Things That Cause You To Age Prematurely
I think it’s important to discuss the things that impact our health and how we age. All the items below can be prevented, and by doing so, you can have a very positive effect on your own personal anti-aging program:
- Poor Diet – Processed foods, fast food and sugars are poison to the body. This is a driving effect on many major health issues such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Being Overweight or Obese – The U.S. is the world leader in this very important category. A lack of education among our government leaders and the U.S. public have created a major health epidemic in the United States. This epidemic has become so bad it has become virtually impossible to put together an affordable health care act in this country. Being obese is one of the most preventable health issues, and if gone unaddressed, this issue will cost you a fortune in medical costs. The average American spends $260,000 out-of-pocket after the age of 65 until their death.
- Lack of Exercise – A lack of exercise results in decreased lean muscle mass, decreased bone density and excessive weight gain.
- Smoking – If you’re a regular smoker, you are most likely to die 10 years before you should and you could accumulate many very costly medical expenses along the way.
- Drinking – There is a huge problem in the U.S. with drinking. Heavy drinkers will die 5-10 years earlier than non-drinkers. Most heavy drinkers are overweight or obese. Drinking to excess is extremely unhealthy and causes numerous health issues and slows the body’s metabolism down and also decreases hormone levels.
- Not Enough Sleep – Sleep is critical to recovery and overall health.
- Unbalanced Hormones – Optimizing key hormones is crucial for living a vibrant life.
Finding the fountain of youth is not about finding a miracle drug, gimmick workout, or even the fad diet. This article is meant to educate middle-aged people and inform them about techniques to slow down the aging process through proper diet, regular exercise and properly utilizing medical doctors who are trained in anti-aging products. Controlling how you age is very dependent of your overall mindset and attitude. Most people make excuses for their declining health and increased waistline by writing it off as the “normal aging process”. I know people who are very overweight and think they are normal and healthy. The reality is that they are far from being healthy and many of them are a ticking time bomb.
Where My Anti-Aging Program Starts
- I get my blood tested twice a year by a doctor who specializes in anti-aging and hormone balancing. My thyroid is always operating efficiently as well as having my testosterone levels supplemented to optimum levels. Having optimal hormone levels will build lean muscle, decrease body fat, improve libido and increase mental clarity and overall energy. I also use a product called Sermorelin which is prescribed by my doctor. This product naturally increases my HGH (Human Growth Hormone) production. This is a big one when it comes to slowing down the aging process. Believe it or not, 80% of the population over the age of 50 has unbalanced hormones. Proper education in this area will help to improve your quality of life and help you live longer.
- Proper nutrition is about making healthy decisions when it comes to your diet. Controlling how you age, look and feel has a lot to do with what you eat. My diet consists of around 3,500 nutrient dense calories per day. I eat a balanced diet consisting of lean protein (fish, chicken, turkey), my carbs center around complex carbohydrates (whole grain products with lots of fruits and vegetables). I take care of my sugar fix by eating sugarless ice cream and Popsicles. I seldom eat anything after 6PM and eat approximately 5 meals per day. I do not drink any alcohol at all because it slows down the metabolism and can have a negative effect on my hormone levels and my overall body composition.
- I have a very balanced workout which involves cardio exercise, core training and weight lifting. I have five workouts which are rotated every 5th day. My average workout takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete. With each of these workouts I do 15-20 minutes of cardio along with 6 core exercises. I workout 5-6 times per week. My workout split is usually: biceps and triceps, chest and back, and legs.
- Having the right attitude is a major key also. Staying in tune with your mind and body allow for a more balanced life for you and your family.
How Peptides Can Help With Your Anti-Aging Strategy
The peptides I take help me develop more lean muscle, reduce body fat, decrease wrinkles, improve overall skin tone and stay more mentally focused throughout the day.
What Are Peptide Hormones?
Peptides are water-soluble hormones composed of a few amino acids that introduce a series of chemical reactions to change the cell’s metabolism. Peptide hormones are protein hormones made of as many as 50 amino acids. The proteins or “peptide hormones” circulate in the blood and have metabolic effects in the body. Most importantly, these hormones are legal and can have a profound effect on anti-aging.
What Peptides Do?
Peptides play a variety of important roles throughout the body. You can’t just say “peptides always build muscle” or “peptides always fight against wrinkles” because that’s not true. They perform all sorts of different roles. Some peptides act like neurotransmitters, while others act like hormones. Some peptides will change the way your body reacts to diet and physical exercise. Some amino acids will also contribute to your body’s natural production of human growth hormone (HGH).
Effects of Peptides in The Body
When your body doesn’t produce enough amino acids, it can produce enough peptides and when it can’t produce enough peptides as your body ages, and as it experiences different levels of stress, amino acids and peptide production drops. Therefore, the body becomes weaker as we get older and that is why we gain fat instead of muscle and also why our skin starts to sag. It’s like the reason why our insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) production naturally drops as we age and experience more environmental stress. Your production of vital compounds like HGH will be lowered. We simply age more quickly as this process occurs. The good news is that you can supplement this through your diet and by using various peptide products.
The properties of these peptides do some amazing things for the body. Don’t just take my word for it, do your own research and speak with a hormone doctor in your local area. Remember that most of your general practitioners will not be knowledgeable about these types of anti-aging products. If slowing down the aging process and looking younger is important to you then I highly recommend utilizing a anti-aging doctor that specializes in balancing hormones.
I’ve been using a peptide called Melanotan II for 5 years and absolutely love my year-around tan achieved with very little time in the sun. I’ve been taking the Sermorelin peptide for 5 months now and clearly have seen improvements in lean muscle mass by naturally stimulating HGH through the pituitary glands. I also have improved skin and better sleep. I have used a peptide called IGF-1 LR3 for three months and have noticed increases in both muscle size and the definition and hardness of my muscles. This product also helps burn fat throughout the body. I just started taking a peptide called Ipamorelin, so I can’t speak about the results just yet. All I can do is share the expected benefits of this product. Ipamorelin is known to significantly improve lean muscle and reduce body fat. It’s also supposed to stimulate your HGH levels as well as increasing your production of testosterone. I will go into detail about Ipamorelin a little later in this article.
Approximate Peptide Cost
The following are recent prices that I paid for 4 different peptides (1 month supply):
- Sermorelin ($15.00 per 5 ML Bottle)
- IGF-1 LR3 ($37.50 for 1 ML Bottle)
- Ipamorelin ($17.50 for 5ML Bottle)
- Melanotan II ($15.00 for 5ML Bottle)
IGF-1 LR3 Supplementation
IGF-1 LR3 is a synthetic protein and lengthened analogue of human Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1). It belongs to the peptide family of substances identified as growth factors. This LR-3 version of IGF-1 is a “time released” version of it which lasts twice as long with its 83 amino acid chain and is 3 times more potent than regular IGF-1 and it’s smaller with 70 amino acid chains.
IGF-1 helps to build new muscle tissue by promoting nitrogen retention and protein synthesis. IGF-1 causes muscle cell hyperplasia, which is an actual splitting and forming of NEW muscle cells. This causes the growth of muscles through an increase in the number of muscle cells and the actual growth of new muscle. Thus IGF-1 not only can enhance your ability (if enough testosterone is present) to make current muscle by increasing the cell size. This product can assist with recovering from injuries and also promotes healing and can increase overall bone density. You can clearly see the value of this product in any anti-aging program!
Benefits of Using IGF-1 LR3
- Utilizes fat to store for energy and boosts overall metabolism.
- Contributes to slowing down the aging process. As we get older, IGF-1 production slows down and this results in cell reduction. Low levels of IGF-1 are linked to heart failure, lower brain cell regulation and neuron function, not to mention muscle tissue breakdown.
- Helps to increase protein synthesis.
- Increases regenerative functions of nerve tissues.
- Increases the amount of muscle cells (hyperplasia) which increases the size of the overall muscle.
- Helps with glucose metabolism (better blood sugar regulation).
- Assists with strengthening and healing tissue.
IGF-1 LR3 may also have a positive effect on correcting testicular atrophy caused by HRT treatment. The increased levels of IGF-1 may prevent shrinkage. So, imagine having optimized levels of IGF-1 that assist with increased muscle retention and faster recovery of your natural T levels and endocrine system.
IGF-1 LR3 has a half-life of about 20-30 hours and is much more potent than base IGF-1. This product will be in the body for more than 24 hours with ample time to bind to receptors while improving muscle growth and fat loss.
IGF-1 LR3 prevents glucose from entering into the cells, which in turn, forces the body to burn fat and not sucrose. In addition, its long half-life is desirable for another reason. Site injections aren’t necessary, as IGF-1 LR3 will cycle the body while binding to all muscle cells for about a day. It is recommended to cycle off this product every 50 days.
What is Ipamorelin
Ipamorelin is an amazing new muscle building peptide that is getting a lot of attention in the bodybuilding world. Like the GHRP-6 peptide (growth hormone releasing hexapeptide), it is a synthetic peptide that has powerful growth hormone releasing properties. This product can make a big difference in your ability to increase muscle size and burn body fat.
I cannot speak to personal results yet, because I just started taking this product. I was told by my anti-aging doctor, along with my own research, that this product will help cut down on unwanted body fat and help build lean muscle tissue. I want to be clear that I fully research any product that I take for anti-aging purposes before trying it!
Benefits of Ipamorelin
- Stimulates the secretion of growth hormone.
- Significantly reduces body fat.
- Helps effectively build muscle mass and increase strength.
- Substantially improves muscle definition (hardness and density).
- Increases the production of testosterone.
- Strengthens bones.
- Helps to repair joints and ligaments.
- Improves the quality of skin.
- Has substantial anti-aging effects (smooth wrinkles, etc).
- Provides a feeling of energy and vitality.
- Promotes a higher quality of sleep.
- helps suppress your appetite.
- Many male and female users report increased libido and sexual function.
Melanotan II is a synthetic hormone that causes a reaction within your body that results in a natural tan. It is a perfect way to tan without being exposed to the sun. You can have the benefits of a beautiful tanned body all year while reducing the skin damage that you might get from receiving too much UV radiation. You always need some sun or an artificial tanning bed, but you don’t have to expose yourself for long periods of time, like you might already do to get that desired tan. I’ve been doing Melanotan II for 5 years now and I constantly get complements about my wonderful tan. Let’s face it, a nice tan goes a long way in making you look younger, especially if you have some nice lean muscle to go with it! You also can’t beat the price. I usually get mine when they have a 30-35% off sale and I buy an entire years worth for about $120.
I hope you found this anti-aging article interesting and informing. My goal in writing it is to inspire middle-aged people and let them know that they can control how they age by living a healthy lifestyle and by utilizing modern medicine to optimize their health. The way to go about improving your overall health and fitness along with slowing down the aging process is to focus on making small improvements each and every month with your nutrition plan, exercise regimen and your anti-aging supplementation protocol. I wish everyone great success in living their most vibrant life!